Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P15-45 LDA Limited holster Options?

SCRich

I guess this would go for any of the Para doublestacks but what does everyone use for a holster? I have tried Fobus, and 2 versions of Blackhawks and it just does not cut it. Apparently the doublestack frames are a bit larger (wider) by a few mm and even though it looks like a standard 1911 holster would work you actually have to force it in. On the blackhawk product it took 4 hands to get the lock undone and out, on the Fobus product I found the quality to be VERY poor but when the gun was holstered the seam would split wide, tension was VERY poor and unuseable.

I am actually looking for 2 holsters 1 to shoot production class and one for carry.

Does anyone here shoot one of the P14-45's Limited LDA in competition? What do you all use to carry it?

Rich

I use a bladetech for 3-gun and production with my 1640 LDA. For carry I use a leather holster that can be carried in vertical, FBI cant, or flat for small of the back. The LDA hammer will stick up just a little bit higher that a 1911 when carried with a round in the chamber and most holster with a strap will need a little trimming done so the straps will snap. If you find a holster that fits a Para or 1911 they are generally made to carry cocked and locked with the strap under the hammer or with the hammer all the way down.

Roy is your's a 45 or a 40 ? The 1911 and the ParaDouble stack are ever so SLIGHTLY different in width, I am going to take a caliper to them later when I go downstairs to the "armory". Yea I am a spoiled brat, the wife let me build a gun room when we built the house :bow: I love my wife! What I am wondering now is if the frames for the 40 and .45 are the same or also slightly different.

I can understand the leather holsters working but the "plastic" stuff has had issues for me in the past since they are unforgiving as leather can be. I wish I had someone local that stocked Bladetech so I could try before I buy but I guess I am just going to have to buy a DOH. I plan on shooting my G35 also so I'll probably buy one for that first and see how I like it then buy one for the Para, I just hate returning stuff due to the added cost to return then the wait for the credit but I guess I'll have no other choice.

Cool...

Oh and Elynch...3 gun is what my final goal will be but I got to walk before I can run. Done plenty of rifle competition at the national level but I got to work on handgun and some shotgun before I go on 3 gun. I also need to work on a gun for that, seems that the Saga12 slightly modified is the popular gun out there, may search for one this year and try 3 gun next year. Either the Saga or thinking of a M4 but I think the Saga will end up cheaper as long as I don't go crazy with mods.

I have a P14 and P16 and both fit the same holsters with no problem. You might need to adjust the tension a bit.

Richard

Richard I was speaking about a 1911 Single Stack vs the P14-45 not a P14 vs a P16. It's not a matter of tension when it comes to the SERPA or the FOBUS I have tried. Way too wide, it fits but it's not the tension screw, you could clearly see on the Fobus the holster looked like it was going to explode, it was busting at the seams. On the SERPA I actually purchased at the NRA convention the latest 1911 holster from them, they had their R&D people there and they stated there was a modification to the latest holsters and it would handle a little larger of a frame. I walked over to the PARA display and showed it to one of the managers who I had been speaking to and he walked over and stuck the display double stack into the new holster.

It took both of us to be able to remove the gun from the holster, the locking latch snapped in but due to the extra width would not come up enough to clear the trigger guard. I thought for a few moments it would NOT release but after 3-4 minutes it came out of the holster.

I was kind of surprised, I thought for sure they would have some idea of what holsters are made for their products but they looked at me like deer in headlights.

I understand that. I guess I didn't make myself clear. I also use the same holsters for non-Para single stacks without adjustment (don't have any Para SS's so I can't compare). I have never heard anyone else say they had a holster problem with any Para.

Richard

Cool...

Oh and Elynch...3 gun is what my final goal will be but I got to walk before I can run. Done plenty of rifle competition at the national level but I got to work on handgun and some shotgun before I go on 3 gun. I also need to work on a gun for that, seems that the Saga12 slightly modified is the popular gun out there, may search for one this year and try 3 gun next year. Either the Saga or thinking of a M4 but I think the Saga will end up cheaper as long as I don't go crazy with mods.

The Saga is a great shotgun, but you will be placed in open in USPSA because of the box magazine of the Saga. We all need to walk first, seems some of us are still walking even after a few years of shooting. The M series work very well and the easiest to weak hand load in tactical or limited, and have a advantage in the FB 3 Gun rules. I use a CR Speed holster for my Para's when shooting limited or limited 10. I was not sure if the LDA Limited in your question was for the model LDA Limited or for LDA in Limited division.

Take a dremel and grind down the shrouds until they no longer contact the fat part of the frame and you will no longer have this problem. I actually used tin snips at first and finished the job with the dremel. Once it is no longer sprung apart by the frame it works quite well. YMMV

Elynch I was speaking about the LDA Limited MODEL not the classification LOL.

Joe4D so what would you call "quality" ? Please tell me since it appears that over 90% of the shooters I have seen both at local matches and on the internet are shooting this "non-quality" holster.

• 2 weeks later...

I got one of the new Uncle Mikes LEO kydex holsters for my Super Hawg. I was having the same problem finding a holster that fit right. The Uncle Mikes kydex took some modification, but it was only $19 A little heating at the top and some Dremel work on their trigger guard catch inside the holster and its pretty good.

Edited by Nealio

Elynch I was speaking about the LDA Limited MODEL not the classification LOL.

Joe4D so what would you call "quality" ? Please tell me since it appears that over 90% of the shooters I have seen both at local matches and on the internet are shooting this "non-quality" holster.

I'm sure at the local arcade and airsoft wars Fobus is "The bomb" The two I was refering to were in the original post, Which by the OP's own thread were described as poor quality. I dont know where you shoot but you wont find to many people using Fobus or Blackhawk Serpas for very long, the Fobus are junk and and the Serpa system isnt ideal for much and unsafe for the little it might be suitable for, The few I have seen at matches had the latch deactivated. Uncle mike kydex is ok, but Bladetech and Comptac make durable dependable holsters that will fit the specific gun it's ordered for.