Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XD .45 Failure to fire

CAPARTISAN

has anyone experienced this phenomena? I recently purchased a Springfield Armory, XD 45 and have been initially pleased. However, last time out at the range, when i was demonstrating it to an associate, it failed to fire. I ejected the failed round, noticed no strike mark on the primer, reloaded and attempted to fire again. No joy. I then changed mags; samo-samo. i cased the weapon and took it home for a closer inspection. It did not seem overly dirty and everything else functioned on the weapon. my only observation of anything different was that the firing sequence seemed "not as snappy", or a bit sluggish. I called SA, and they said to check the striker for excess lube because it could be causing a 'hydraulic' which would slow the strike. I observed visible liquid on the striker. I then wiped the striker with a cloth, and reassembled. took it to the range and it fired. Now, here's my dilemma; I don't lube my gun. How did it get there? Has anyone else had this happen?

Could just be cosmoline. I always degrease my guns as soon as I get it home to remove the packing grease. Keep in mind cosmoline is a rust preventative and not a lubricant so if it there is any residual left it will cause malfunctions. Make sure you spray down the firing pin port and barrel with the degreaser.

Just out of curiosity, why do you not lube your weapons?

Edited by Lee G

All striker fired guns are sensitive to oil in the channel. As far as where it came from, it could be the initial shipping protection, as mentioned. Could also be something that migrated in when the gun was stored, or when it got hot.

Larry

saw this happen before at the range i usually shoot at. as in earlier posts, striker fired pistols are sensitive to lubrication mostly in the firing pin tunnel. not sure if you were shooting outside or not, but here in the midwest people experience this problem when the temps drop. a small amount of oil or condensation in the summer will generally go unrecognized. the same scenario in the winter can mean a different story. i've seen guys who shoot the same striker fired weapon all season with no malfs. then the temp drops below "x" degrees and their gun doens't fire. some of the time there is not even a mark on the firing pin. should you lube your weapons, absoulutely. as far as striker fired weapons are concerned, just a small amount on moving friction points other than the firing pin tunnel and thats it. just my opinion based on the striker fired weapons that i've owned.

Really? Firmly seated primers?

I have shot thousands of military crimped primer 9mm rounds from my XD and Glocks and have yet to have a miss fire. This is the first I have heard this.

Busyhawk

I never had a problem with "firmly seated" primers, but I can attest to the fact XD's don't perform well if you primers aren't fully seated. When I first started reloading I had 40% fail to fire rate due to high primers. They were about .001-.003 above the pocket. They looked flush on visual inspection.

Edited by Lee G

I have shot thousands of military crimped primer 9mm rounds from my XD and Glocks and have yet to have a miss fire. This is the first I have heard this.

Busyhawk

I never had a problem with "firmly seated" primers, but I can attest to the fact XD's don't perform well if you primers aren't fully seated. When I first started reloading I had 40% fail to fire rate due to high primers. They were about .001-.003 above the pocket. They looked flush on visual inspection.

I have shot nothing but reloads in my canyon creek and its never been a issue.

• 3 months later...

I had this happen on my .45 Tactical when it was 9 degrees last January for a regular club match. Several light strikes in a row. Took a zero on the stage.

I had put a drop of oil on the striker / sear surfaces the previous cleaning and on the slide. I must have gotten enough on it to wick it's way into the striker channel. Very light strikes.

I took it apart and hosed it out with a can of cleaner and it worked fine the rest of the day. It never happened during warm weather. Now I only put a drop on the slide grooves and the barrel cam and around the barrel nose. No more problem.

I added an extra power striker spring when I put in the Springer trigger kit. All is well.

Busyhawk

I have shot nothing but reloads in my canyon creek and its never been a issue.

too light a recoil spring, too high primers, worn out striker spring, or dirty striker tunnel can all lead to light hits on primers....I've had many issues over the years...I've installed a Springer Precision extra power striker spring....religiously clean the striker tunnel, very carefully inspect my primer seat depth and use a 16 lb recoil spring....and still have light hits from time to time....as soon as I use up my CCI primers, I'm going to switch to a softer primer

• 1 month later...