Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Minor in L10 more logical than Production?

kamikaze1a

Planning on giving Minor a try in SS this year. Gave it a try and wasnt use to shooting the gun so could have actually gone a little faster but at least for me I could I could shoot quicker and get the hits easier with the 9mm than I could the 45. Granted It was factory ammo so there is a big difference in like 132 PF for the 9mm and 190 in the 45. Reloading I know would tame the 45 down but just not gonna happen right now. The 9mm felt like cheating as the recoil wasnt there and alot of the hits were extremely close on the paper so I could have gone faster and still kept them in the A. I also like the 2 extra rounds which is nice if there is steel or moving targets on the COF. I just like having the extra rounds if I need them. For Lim 10 without the round advantage Major would be the way to go.

Maybe we'll see you on Maui for next years Hawaii championships :cheers:

Maybe. I'll be the guy shooting minor in L10! :roflol:

A couple of our club guys have been to States the last couple of years. They said Open is real strong on Maui?

Yup, open div is getting larger as we are getting(converting) more of the shooters coming over to the dark side :ph34r:

As Alaskapopo said, he might do it for the challenge.

Try it and see what happens. In our club matches we allow shooters to enter multi-divisions. Try it with minor and with major.

• 2 years later...

It seems like the only scenario where it could make sense to shoot minor over major would be in Limited or SS where you trade the scoring disadvantage for more rounds in the mag (less reloads... maybe).

I actually came across this thread serching for .45 minor becasue I've got a friend who shoots his Witness .45 in production and I'm trying to help him come up with a load. Has anyone tried .45 minor with 165 grain bullets? It seems like that should be similar to the .40 minor some people rave about?

It seems like the only scenario where it could make sense to shoot minor over major would be in Limited or SS where you trade the scoring disadvantage for more rounds in the mag (less reloads... maybe).

Maybe in single stack(I still don't think so)... but definitely not in limited. The 3-4 round adder you might get out of a 140mm in 9 vs. 40sw doesn't pay off. If your course is over 20rds, there will be some place where you can reload... so 3-4 rounds extra will be a wash, and you'll have minor scoring.

Mike.

for the OP, if you're not in contention to win the motorhome at your local monthly match, just try it and see what happens, then do whatever gives YOU the most enjoyment, regardless of what the internet world thinks.

At the elite level, it appears that limited minor is a disadvantage, since all elite shooters are darned good at controlling the recoil and shoot fast splits even with heavier loads. Most of us are not elite-level shooters and are shooting for enjoyment and challenge and to improve our skills.

for the OP, if you're not in contention to win the motorhome at your local monthly match, just try it and see what happens, then do whatever gives YOU the most enjoyment, regardless of what the internet world thinks.

At the elite level, it appears that limited minor is a disadvantage, since all elite shooters are darned good at controlling the recoil and shoot fast splits even with heavier loads. Most of us are not elite-level shooters and are shooting for enjoyment and challenge and to improve our skills.

Good points.