Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Converting Springfield XD into a 38 super

Hammertime

OK here goes, I have a Xd40 with a 9mm conversion barrel, I am wanting to be able to shoot 38 super through it. Can I just ream the 9mm barrel out to super? or is there other things I need to do? Since I reload 38 super by the thousands it would be nice to be able to shoot the XD with super.

I'm assuming that when you bought the 9mm conversion you had to use 9mm mags. A few years ago there was buzz on the internet about converting a Glock 20 into a 9x23. Got the Bar Sto barrel and gave it a whirl. The mags were the problem and needless to say, if someone wants a Glock 20 with an unfired 10mm barrel I have one.

If the 9mm mags will accept Super then you have a chance. Otherwise I would learn from my bad decision.

it will depend if your mags can handle the OAL of the 38 super cartridge which a bit longer than 9mm/40

I heard about the G20 conversion to 9x23..hadn't heard how well/not it had worked.

9x23 in a 1911 is a dream though..

it will depend if your mags can handle the OAL of the 38 super cartridge which a bit longer than 9mm/40

I heard about the G20 conversion to 9x23..hadn't heard how well/not it had worked.

9x23 in a 1911 is a dream though..

If I could have gotten the mags to work it would have been great. The 9mm Glock mags would accept the 9x23 with no problems. Since the 20 is a large frame the 9mm mags wouldn't fit the gun.

If the mags will take the OAL of the cartridge it just might work. If he's shooting minor he can always shorten the rounds. I'm assuming that the 9mm mags will fit in the 40 frame. Don't know much about them.

With the exception of my 45, all of my 1911's are chambered in 9x23. I've been shooting a boat load of it since '96.

This caliber change in the XD would make one heck of a carry gun in 9x23. Since the 9 and 40 are rimless cases that may be the way to go anyway when you consider the extractor. It may handle the rim on the Super but Supercomp would be better.

One of the real gunsmiths can correct me if I'm totally wrong but I'm pretty sure I've read on this board that while you can ream a 9mm barrel to 38 length it isn't a good idea. The 9 is a tapered case and the 38 is straight walled. If you ream the 9 barrel it's actually too big by the case head and it's going to be hard on the 38 brass because it's going to swell it. What I gathered is it will work but it's not by any means optimal.

One of the real gunsmiths can correct me if I'm totally wrong but I'm pretty sure I've read on this board that while you can ream a 9mm barrel to 38 length it isn't a good idea. The 9 is a tapered case and the 38 is straight walled. If you ream the 9 barrel it's actually too big by the case head and it's going to be hard on the 38 brass because it's going to swell it. What I gathered is it will work but it's not by any means optimal.

I've heard (and believe) the same argument. The case of the super at just below the extractor groove is .384, while the case of the 9mm is .391. While .007 is not a bunch, it would be enough (IMO) to warrant not wanting to take that chance.

The maximum length for XD small frame guns is 1.150, too small for the 38 super. You would have to go with the .45 acp framed guns to do, the breech face would have to be reduced to handle the smaller case dia. and the firing pin dia. would probably have to be reduced. Then get someone to make a barrel and don't forget to modify .45 mags to handle 38 super. It can be done, do you have the time and money to do it.

Rich

The maximum length for XD small frame guns is 1.150, too small for the 38 super. You would have to go with the .45 acp framed guns to do, the breech face would have to be reduced to handle the smaller case dia. and the firing pin dia. would probably have to be reduced. Then get someone to make a barrel and don't forget to modify .45 mags to handle 38 super. It can be done, do you have the time and money to do it.

Rich

ahhhh..time and money....time and money..

You could deff do it with the 45 xd but you would need to find a way to make a spacer for the side of the magsto make them work(no biggy strips of metal and super glue). my concern is the diameter of the barrel 9mm is .355 and 38 is .357 is it not?

Rich

Exactly why it's not worth it.

You could deff do it with the 45 xd but you would need to find a way to make a spacer for the side of the magsto make them work(no biggy strips of metal and super glue). my concern is the diameter of the barrel 9mm is .355 and 38 is .357 is it not?

Most new 38 super/ super comp barrels slug to .355. The actual spec for 38 super/super comp is .356. 38 SPL/357MAG is .357