Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New ESP Gun Arrived Today

blind bat

When I saw this thread a couple of months ago my jaw hit the floor. An ambidextrous, CZ 75, without a firing pin block and light weight enough to play nicely in IDPA! It's like Angus could somehow read my thoughts. I called up the Custom shop last month and begged to be put on the waiting list for the a short dust cover, dual tone, shadow target rig. Rob told me he couldn't take a deposit because they didn't know what the price would be or when they might start producing them but he was more than happy to send me an email once they were ready for production. I didn't figure I'd hear from him until the spring and imagine my surprise when I received an email saying they would be cranking out the first batch of short dust cover shadows right after thanksgiving. I didn't hesitate, after all the economy needs our help. My dream gun and a set of thin, black, aluminum grips were on their way!

Fast forward two weeks and my pistol instructor/FFL calls to tell my I must have been a really good boy this year because Santa just dropped off something really nice. I can't articulate how incredible this pistol is. The gun is nicely fitted and the trigger is remarkable. According to the test target it breaks just over 3lbs which seems accurate. There is no creep and a really short reset. And of course the Shadow feels like it was molded specifically for my hand.

post-17259-002684300 1292309179_thumb.jp post-17259-077356100 1292309039_thumb.jp post-17259-012871400 1292309079_thumb.jp

The pictures really don't do this gun justice. It really is beautiful. I didn't realize the silver actually has some sort of metal flake in the paint.

The test target had four shots, dead center in one ragged hole with a flyer off to the side and a little note saying "pulled". It's nice to know that even the CZ Custom shop guys aren't perfect. Damn close though. ;)

I ordered a Blade Tech CZ 75 SA holster at the recommendation of the custom shop. The SA holster hasn't arrived yet but the Shadow fits pretty nicely in my Blade Tech 85B holster with the adjustments backed off about a turn. I think the main difference is the slide isn't scalloped at the muzzle end like the 85b.

If I was to nitpick, the only negative things I could find about the Shadow are the standard, gritty slide to frame feel that all CZ's seem to have and the combat trigger didn't come with an over travel screw. The first gripe is just CZ feel from either the casting or the painted finish. The slide to frame fit just doesn't feel like a finely tuned 1911. However, as far as machining goes, compared to my circa 1994 85B, there are no major machining marks inside the frame or under the slide. The trigger is a little weird. It's a standard 85B Combat trigger (curved with overtravel stop) however, the overtravel screw is missing because sear breaks as the trigger is pulled all the way to the rear. There just is NO overtravel! I'm not sure if that was a side effect of the Shadow slide with the comp hammer on the SA frame or if the Custom shop guys prefer to tune the action for no overtravel rather than rely on the overtravel screw.

As always, the CZ custom shop is a pleasure to do business with. Angus and Rob even signed my the pistol box for me. I'm hoping that if I can keep my house from falling down around me I'll be able to pick up one of their Dan Wesson offerings in 2011. Thanks again to Rob, Zoe and Angus. You guys rock.

P.S. Angus... If you really can read my thoughts, I'm sorry. That's something no one should have to endure.

P.P.S. Range report coming this weekend.

P.P.P.S. I'm so jazzed up about this pistol, I can't fall asleep!

Edited by blind bat

I am having the hardest time not getting one of these yet... I promised my wife I wouldn't buy one until after the holidays but it's getting harder and harder, especially after reading posts like this...

My only hope is that they'll make them in in SAO only too, as, if you've ever felt a CZ's trigger with no FPB with a comp hammer installed you know that it's pretty much like cheating.

• 3 months later...