Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR15Targets Texas State Tactical 2-Gun Match

Thankfully, Soldier of Fortune is a generic term used by publications, video games, magazines, etc.

No Copyright problems....but thanks for voicing the concern! Wouldn't want to get in trouble haha.

Might want to check with a copyright attorney before you make that decision. The US Patents and Trademarks office has "Soldier of Fortune" listed as a protected entity. The owner has sued other entities for infringement.

There are several protections for Soldier of Fortune and SOF...

http://tess2.uspto.g...003:vlv7u3.3.14

$oldier....again, concern is appreciated, but lets leave it at that guys

Josh, folks here are just trying to protect the match organizers against potential litigation. If a copyright / patent attorney has already reviewed this and given the legal go-ahead - great. If not, it's a good idea to get this done. I've heard of cases where folks split hairs similiar to "$oldier" vs "Soldier" and things didn't work out so good for them in court. Don't get me wrong - I'm excited about the match, but the name certainly gives the "appearance" of affiliation with SOF magazine and the original grand-daddy of all 3-gun shoots.

Robert K. Brown doesn't have a sense of humor about this stuff.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe Mr. Josh is studying to be an attorney when he grows up so I am sure he did his research.

How come its only 2 gun?

I think 2-Gun formats are going to become more popular. That's what I am going to be doing here at Fort Polk/Leesville. More Carbine/Pistol and then having separate Tactical Shotgun Matches. From a match director/set-up side of the fence it is much more manageable and from the shooter side, there is never enough shotgun in a 3 gun match to really make it worth it to me without affecting the round count of the other two guns.

Jack

Edited by Jack T

Registration begins Dec 2011 and the match is Feb 2011? No one has posted any smarta$ remarks about this yet? I am disappointed in my fellow smarta$es.

Joking aside, sounds like a fun match. I might have to head that way.

You mean you don't own a flux capacitor J Ho? wacko.gif

How is Soldier of Fortune involved in your match?

and this match is not affiliated with the Soldier Of Fortune game at all Mark.

ooooh please tell me there is a time machine stage. please please please

I believe Mr. Josh is studying to be an attorney when he grows up so I am sure he did his research.

How come its only 2 gun?

I think 2-Gun formats are going to become more popular. That's what I am going to be doing here at Fort Polk/Leesville. More Carbine/Pistol and then having separate Tactical Shotgun Matches. From a match director/set-up side of the fence it is much more manageable and from the shooter side, there is never enough shotgun in a 3 gun match to really make it worth it to me without affecting the round count of the other two guns.

Jack

Sorry for the drift!

I understand completely that they might be growing more popular, however, I don't understand how MDs think it would be more manageable.

To me and my warped since of logic it would be more simplistic to host a shotgun/handgun match.

Targets - As a guy who builds targets, I can use a thicker mild steel that can be used for bird shot and handgun. Also, so many of the target styles are the same for shotgun and handgun.

Range - Most shots taken with handgun and birdshot will be relatively short and all one has to worry about are slugs and long handgun targets.

Other Factors - Cost of ammunition, many already have a shotgun, etc.

However, I am also a realist and know that most shooters count the shotgun as their least favorite of the trio. Just a thought.

Cheers,

Kyle

How come its only 2 gun?

Jack

Sorry for the drift!

I understand completely that they might be growing more popular, however, I don't understand how MDs think it would be more manageable.

To me and my warped since of logic it would be more simplistic to host a shotgun/handgun match.

Targets - As a guy who builds targets, I can use a thicker mild steel that can be used for bird shot and handgun. Also, so many of the target styles are the same for shotgun and handgun.

Range - Most shots taken with handgun and birdshot will be relatively short and all one has to worry about are slugs and long handgun targets.

However, I am also a realist and know that most shooters count the shotgun as their least favorite of the trio. Just a thought.

Cheers,

Kyle

I can only reasonably carry one long gun at a time.

I must admit,, Rifle is my personal favorite.

Jim

How come its only 2 gun?

Jack

Sorry for the drift!

Cheers,

Kyle

I can only reasonably carry one long gun at a time.

I must admit,, Rifle is my personal favorite.

Jim

+1 How many long guns does one generally carry?

With good advertisement and word of mouth, this match should have a pretty good turn out. I don't want to drift from the thread and I would really like to see the match get supported. Plus it is where the Texas Multigun LaRue Match will be held!

There are a tremendous amount of shooters out there who would be willing to try this particular discipline because of it being two gun in lieu of three. Cost, equipment, training, is reduced by a third and the shotgun tends to be more specialized than the rifle and pistol one needs to compete.

From the management aspect, Local Level, it allows more positive effort/planning and props to go into a carbine/pistol match. Personally, I see too much compromise of stage design and/or round count to try and fit all three guns in a match. I enjoy shooting shotgun and would rather shoot a match dedicated to shotgun or shotgun/pistol and not compromise it. And, I have never seen the practicality of transitioning with all three guns during one course of fire just to try and fit all three guns in. Too much time wasted on staging/clearing/setting instead of shooting.

There are some fantastic 3-Gun Matches out there, but this will add another dynamic to the sport which will appeal to a lot of prospective NEW shooters.

Jack

Cool; Texas Tactical Two Gun. Kinda like the Texas Two Step. Oh, I just noticed there is no Open Division on the Application? Just kidding. Lasik scheduled for 1st weeks in January. If all goes good, good bye Open Division and return to Tac/Scoped and irons!! Guess I will have to start building Mossberg's. :cheers:

I also love to shoot steel!

and hope they have lots of it!

Not to worry Jim there will be plenty of steel....devil.gif..........as you know, AR15Targets is a target manufacturing company so we'll have all of our new gizmo's and gadgets out there

Edited by GorillaTactical

I also love to shoot steel!

and hope they have lots of it!

Not to worry Jim there will be plenty of steel....devil.gif..........as you know, AR15Targets is a target manufacturing company so we'll have all of our new gizmo's and gadgets out there

Thank you!!! Santa!!! :cheers: