Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR15Targets Texas State Tactical 2-Gun Match

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bring extra stuff when inclement weather threatens. Different boots, poncho, towels, WD40....

Parking might be fun if it rains.

Yeah, might see if I can find that tow chain.

Haha, between the Humvee, and the APC, I think we aught to be able to get ya'll out :)

As Josh mentioned the plan is to hold the match regardless of weather unless it poses a safety hazard. We may also trim some of the time consuming parts of the match as well to accommodate for longer times and slower resets.

Also as Josh mentioned the weather is looking up, 30% chance (it's dropping, it was 50% earlier) of scattered thunderstorms on Sunday. So based on my experience of Texas weather, and forecasts, that means sometime between now and 2012 it might rain somewhere.

Well, as of right now, the weather is still looking pretty good. Only 30% chance or so of rain on Sunday, and even less Saturday.

IF there is a rain, we will still be shooting. Unless the range becomes unsafe, we will be shooting on the scheduled days. We won't be rescheduling the match, although we might end up dropping a stage etc etc if the weather becomes severe (which shouldn't be the case). So, the verdict is......bring your rain jackets if the weather looks bad!

Thanks! Exactly what I was needing to know. Shooting rain or shine! It is always good to know the philosophy of those running the match.

Will be there with the rain gear ready to go!

Cheers,

Kyle

Last Weds. we got 17" of snow...yesterday was 58 degrees and sunny so I went out to the range to check my zeros and is was very wet and my boots are muddy! Can't wait to shoot in Tejas! I just hope I-35 is clear of ice/snow southbound from Kansas.....

The rules state that rifles must be cased or slung during transport. Does anyone know if carts or buggy's (like we use in the monthly matches) can be used? Do they have to be cased in the buggy?

This is my first big (non club monthly) match and i don't wanna screw anything up.

Thanks!

The rules state that rifles must be cased or slung during transport. Does anyone know if carts or buggy's (like we use in the monthly matches) can be used? Do they have to be cased in the buggy?

This is my first big (non club monthly) match and i don't wanna screw anything up.

Thanks!

Buggies, strollers, carts, etc are all fine to have your weapon on. The main premise is that it must be safely secured and in a safe configuration as dictated by the Range Master.

Edited by GorillaTactical

Thanks!

Buggies, strollers, carts, golf carts, etc are all fine to have your weapon on. The main premise is that it must be safely secured and in a safe configuration as dictated by the Range Master.

Yep, what Josh said :) (with the exception of golf carts, any motorized vehicles have to be pre-authorized by the range before use.)

If you would like to bring a motorized vehicle such as a golf-cart, quad, ATV, side-by-side, bulldozer, M1A1 Abrams, Tyco Radio Controlled vehicle or anything else of that nature send me an email with a brief vehicle description and I'll run it by the range operators.

I don't forsee any objections to them but I'll double check before misleading anyone.

If anybody sees Ty Gentry at this match remind him he owes me fifty bucks....... :angry2:

Sounds like a great match - have fun y'all !

I'm shooting with Ty - will give him the message. :cheers:

Was anyone on site today - G2 on the stages or layout? The webpage only had 8 stage diagrams, but understand we're shooting 10. Interested to see how far we're shooting / target type on the LR stage.

The night shoot should be finishing up right about now. See ya'll tomorrow!

Edited by Fullauto_Shooter

Shot the Night Match Friday Night, I've shot a couple of pistol matches at night but nothing like the awesome Texas Two Gun Night match, four great stages, and when I say great I also mean very challenging in all aspects mental, physical, and shooting. Jeremy just absolutely great, if I didn't have a day job I would be up every Tuesday.

Jeremy the day match stages were kick Axx, I'll be back for the next one! :cheers: :cheers:

I guess I should say the good first...

I thought the stages ( the ones we got to shoot) were great.

The RO's were excellent.

The facilities were outstanding.

Otherwise, it was a cluster F@;&.

I suppose I just had overly optimistic hopes that there was a plan to get that many shooters through that many stages in that little time..... There was not.

Edited by HiCapMag

The RO's were excellent.

I suppose I just had overly optimistic hopes that there was a plan to get that many shooters through that many stages in that little time..... There was not.

The RO's were excellent.

"Highcap" hit the nail on the head

Range, staff and stages were great

Then the wheels fell out the wagon and all went to SH%$

I guess we will see scores posted soon?

Edited by scf

They worked very hard. just try-ed to do Too much.

I camped at the range last night and the wind was gusting past 30mph , after the sun came up I was surprised to see so much still standing on the stages.

They kept a welcome to talk to you attitude to every shooter , no mater how much complaining they herd. I know that no-one at the event was more disappointed than the ones that worked to host the party.

We don't want them to give up, so don't kill all the sparks left in the fire.

I camped at the range last night and the wind was gusting past 30mph , after the sun came up I was surprised to see so much still standing on the stages.

They kept a welcome to talk to you attitude to every shooter , no mater how much complaining they herd. I know that no-one at the event was more disappointed than the ones that worked to host the party.

I agree. This was their first time to host a match of any real size and there were many lessons learned. In hindsight, the ambitious schedule probably had two stages too many given the number of shooters. But the MD and his fantastic ROs absolutely busted their ass to put this all together and make it run.

I'm just glad they stepped up to the plate and hosted the match - if they hadn't I'd have been stuck at home doing crap-work. :(

If you've got AAR comments - I'd respectfully suggest you send them to the AR15 targets team so they continue to learn and get better; I've got a few suggestions and idea's I'll be sending out. Believe the problems we saw were simply due to inexperience at hosting a "bigger" match. I'm confident the next match (assuming there'll be a next) will incorporate these lessons learned. :cheers:

Edited by Fullauto_Shooter

I agree with Jamie and Doug --

For what it's worth, as a back-of-the-pack shooter, I had a blast Saturday -- wish I could've stayed longer. Sunday was fun too -- if a little dustier... :blush:

Sure. The execution didn't quite match the plan, but for a first effort at such a big event, my hat goes off to EVERYONE involved.

From what I could tell, while I'm sure they were exhausted, sore, windblown and dirty, everybody I met wearing a staff shirt was friendly, attentive and accommodating (when they could be). In fact, that describes 99% of the shooters I met as well.

I'll definitely be there for the next one!

Thanks guys!

:cheers:

If this match had gone as planned and prepared it would have gone on the record books as one of the greatest Two Gun matches in recorded history. It was so much more than I had expected. The stages were kick axx, long and challenging. Jeremy did a heck of a job putting this thing together and the RO's were there and they did a heck of good job as well. So what went wrong. Well the thing that is most important to making a match move along didn't measure up to the task. That is the shooters themselves we just were not up to the task of resetting the stages quickly. Yep, I was in a good squad and we started out well, but about noon the gas ran out and fatigue started to slow us down resetting the stage. I noticed that the two squads ahead that we were waiting on were moving a bit slow as well. This is a Saturday observation, can't speak of Sunday. We did 8 of the 10 stages, I would have probalby had to be carried off on a strecher if we had done all 10, but I was ready to go that way.

So managment overestimated the physical ability of the shooters, IMHO. I'm all for having the same match as a two day event and would be willing to pay a higher entry fee for the match, it would be that awesomely good.

I am not a regular 2 or 3 gunner but when I comapare the amount of shooting and the stages to the USPSA Open nationals, the Ar15Targets was way more shooting and better stages, and its not a 4 day event.

So here is one that is ready to do it again, I just wish it wasn't going to be year to wait.

Rented Mule.

Have the results been posted yet?

I shot on Saturday and was able to finish all 8 stages plus the two bonus stages. I thought the match was really fun and dynamic. It was a good mix of short and long engagements. It is very unfortunate that not everyone was able to finish.

I won't hesitate to come back next year, these guys "graduated" match director school this weekend.

Personal pitfalls and all, I had a freaking blast! I got to meet some enos forum members in person, the stages were fantastic, RO staff was wonderful. Having Kurt Miller give me a pat on the back after burning down a stage was the highlight for myself.

I hope everyone who has the "negatives" listed on top can look past them for what they were, and realize the awesomeness of this match.