Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is there a double stack 1911 similar to the STI Spartan?

hartzpad

Just looking to get my first single stack 9mm 1911 and I've settled on the STI Spartan, seems like an amazing value @ $650, even though it's made by Armscor in the Phillipines, but quality control and critical parts by STI.

pix011235760.jpg

For a double stack 9mm 1911, is there a comparable value in a 2011 pistol from STI or another manufacturer?

no. not without spending considerably more money.

Shoot one of the CZ75 series or the shadow. Amazing the groups they put up and they also feel great in the hand. I do not own one yet but will get one someday.

Every once in a while Springfield will put out their double wide gun, but it comes with a 45acp top end.

Para makes a double wide 1911 also.

Caspian doesn't make guns, but they offer a double wide setup that your smith can build out for you.

Armscor makes a double stack Para clone. I know a couple of people that have them and they work fine. Another option would be to get a second hand Para. Those can be had for a really good price if you look around and are willing to wait.

For a double stack 9mm 1911, is there a comparable value in a 2011 pistol from STI or another manufacturer?

Definitely not in a 2011. Maybe in a Para, but even that will be a lot more (relative) expensive than something like a Spartan. R,

no. not without spending considerably more money.

Shoot one of the CZ75 series or the shadow. Amazing the groups they put up and they also feel great in the hand. I do not own one yet but will get one someday.

I have several CZ's including an SP-01 Shadow from Angus, great guns.

I bought my Para for $600 on gunbroker,of course I put about $400 in it to get it where I wanted,but I absolutely love it. :cheers:

Ya, I've thought about a Para P18, I guess most people looking down on them is getting the better of me. I had a Para Ordnance P16 that I converted to 10mm, nothing like 17 rounds of 10mm in a 1911. Never should have sold it.

What are you giving up in a P18 that an STI Edge or Trojan has? Is it accuracy, fit and finish or just status symbol?

i'm a big fan of the Paras. Para factory guns are not as tight as what you would find in a 2011, but they still shoot more than adequate for our sport and are reliable. i've not heard many good things about Para's Power Extractor on most of their current guns. but there are ways around that, including a sleeve to fit the extractor channel that will allow the use of a standard design extractor. some folk just replace the slide.

i've built custom Paras and STI. i prefer the para because you can change grips on it!!! from a shootability point of view i frankly don't see any advantage to a 2011. if anything there is a disadvantage to the 2011 because their overall weight is less than a steel framed gun. some of us shooters prefer a heavier gun for recoil control. i thinks it's mostly a status thing.

bottom line: you're not giving up anything going with a Para. some folks will flame me for this opinion, but i've put my fair share of rounds through both and i have a distinct preference.

None of the top shooters are shooting stock factory pistols (in the 1911 world). They are all purpose built for that shooter and custom in every respect. That being said I do think that there is a bit of snobbery from fans of 2011s towards Para. I still have my P14 that was made into a limited gun and it has certainly kicked the but of many stock and custom S_Is. I did Recently change teams and got an Edge but I still love the Para.

A Para P18 would be a very good way to go for half the price of a new STI. If you do like the Spartan as a 9mm why would you want a Edge/Eagle in 9mm? Capacity is the only reason I can think and there are plenty of others that would get you there and a high cap 9mm is not going to be competitive in USPSA (except open).

There is a Guy called Todd Jarrett that does pretty good with Paras. It's the Shooter with the skill not the pistol,pick out a good pistol and shoot the heck out of it.

I guess you've never seen Todd kick and throw things when his mag jammed on him at a major match.

I not only saw it .... I had to duck! :rolleyes:

i'm a big fan of the Paras. Para factory guns are not as tight as what you would find in a 2011, but they still shoot more than adequate for our sport and are reliable. i've not heard many good things about Para's Power Extractor on most of their current guns. but there are ways around that, including a sleeve to fit the extractor channel that will allow the use of a standard design extractor. some folk just replace the slide.

i've built custom Paras and STI. i prefer the para because you can change grips on it!!! from a shootability point of view i frankly don't see any advantage to a 2011. if anything there is a disadvantage to the 2011 because their overall weight is less than a steel framed gun. some of us shooters prefer a heavier gun for recoil control. i thinks it's mostly a status thing.

bottom line: you're not giving up anything going with a Para. some folks will flame me for this opinion, but i've put my fair share of rounds through both and i have a distinct preference.

I shoot an STI, and I totally agree with you. I love my STI, and I got a good deal on it, but in hindsight, I'd be just as happy with a Para.

The gun is the cheap part of this sport anyway, even if it's a fancy one. Ammo, match fees, gas, etc., will greatly eat up anything you save on the gun.

I like shooting my STI and I don't regret buying it. But if I had a nice Para that had a nicely fitted barrel and was in the configuration I wanted, I'd shoot the snot out of it.

Paras hold more, too. Nobody talks about that, perhaps because Paras are looked down as the "cheap" widebody gun. Paras hold at least one more round than STI. You won't notice that the mags aren't as tapered when reloading, either--the magwells on limited guns are huge and the reload isn't a major part of the division anyway.

My friend just got one for $400 with 6 mags and is shooting the snot out of it in Limited with me. I told him today that if my STI ever chokes at a major, I'd shoot the rest of the match with his Para in an instant.

If you are looking for a double stack gun that feels the closest to your single stack then look for a double stack Caspian framed gun. It will feel almost the same in your hand.

If you are looking for a double stacked gun similar in price to a Spartan then, I don't know. I don't think you will find any double stack 1911 for around $500-600. You might luck out and find a double stack Armscor in the caliber you want. But, it will take some long term patience to find that.

I would suggest looking for a reasonably priced Caspian gun in the caliber you want on the second hand market. With a little patience you should find a deal for under $1k.

Chris

Used guns can be a good buy also, all of my current 2011'a started out as used guns and I had them rebuilt over time; that saved me a lot of wait time and money, just make sure you get a good base gun to start with.

Para mags are a lot cheaper...but sti has an endless supply of after market parts to build to your liking.

Also para doesn't make 170mm mags and finding an old sti that works can be rough. I don't understand how they want to be dominant in competition shooting but are not doing more things to help the effort.

Para/clark barrels supposedly offer more support for high pressure loads(according to schuemann) but many people have done it with nowlin ramped that it really isn't any reason to be used for consideration.