Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady Bullet Feeder Install Tips

The mounting template for the Dillon and Hornday LNL are not correct.

This info is based on a flex tube lenght of 20"

For the LNL AP I mounted mine by aligning the mounting bracket against the back plate of the LNL AP with the first hole aligned with the bolt on the back of the press. At this mounting point the tube fits perfect and the wire that supports the tube can be placed in the slot and it aligns perfectly with the bullet feeder die. Try it before you nail it down!

Have more tips on adjusting the belling and power measure will post later.

Coco, I don't load with a LNL, but I do appreciate you posting the info! :cheers:

You load on a 550 I'll bet and heck a bullet feeder might just get you going so fast you would need to put an air bag on the bench just in case you had a sudden stop!

Actually a friend of mine a GM loads just as fast on the 550 as he shoots, you can't even see his hands move he is so fast.

This is a new product from Hornady and they seem to want to make it right. They are sending me a PTX powder stop, which comes with the new press but mine is a few years old so I didn't have one. Nice of them to do that.

Edited by CocoBolo

Adjusting the Powder Measure/PTX belling die. First off let me say I gave up the power thru belling die 2 years ago because I had trouble with it so putting the Powder measure in the 2nd position is new to me. (I later figured out it was an indexing issue).

First I recommend removing the primer tube assembly to get it out of the way. Also remove the other die from the tool head (this is a Hornady they just snap out) except the sizing die. I don't have the PTX stop device yet so this is old school. With a case in position screw the powder measure down till the powder insert hits the top of its travel, lower the ram and turn the powder measure in one full turn. Next with a case in the sizing die and one at the primer station try the belling. I kept adjusting on 9 mm till the bell measure .378. The bullet seating die is tall so the powder measure needs to be oriented where the plunger is facing between station 4 and 5, any other posiiton and it gets into contact with either the primer tube or the bullet seating die.

With the belling adjusted now add the bullet seating die. Follow the instruction on this raise the ram with a case in postion then screw the die down till it contacts the case. Next lower the ram and turn the die in 1/2 turn. This is a start position, so you are ready to test, just put a few bullets in the feeder die by hand then test on some cases to make sure you get a bullet and it stays put till the seater position. I wound up turning mine in another 1/2 before it worked correctly. I ran about 50-60 cases making sure it works. It is a lot easier now with no primers, no powder, no seating etc to make the adjustments than it will later when everything is in place.

I added a couple rounds of masking tape to the end of the flex tube so that it would stay put in the bullet feeder die. I also added a piece of electric fence wire to hold the tube in place on the wire support. Ok yeah bailing wire and duct tape just stuff you need.

My press is all set and adjusted and I hope to crank out some rounds in the next day or two, between putting pergo flooring in, painting, and a full time job. :blink:

First Reloading Session with the Hornady Bullet Feeder on the LNL AP press. I figured the first 100 rounds might not be a smooth as molasses, however it was like holloween 13. For the record the Bullet Feeder worked perfectly for the fist 100 rounds. After the first few rounds I had to stop and make an adjustment to the belling little bit more. Then about 30 rounds in the primer slide started sticking, had to stop and clean it as well as take a file to it and knock a burr off. At about 75 rounds I decided a little more bell would work better so I did that adjustment. So I'm loading along and I had forgotten to turn the bullet feeder on so I ran out of bullets but I looked in the case and no powder, WTF, ok when I made that adjust ment the powder measure was just a little off and the plunger would hang every once in a while on the case feed adjustment nut causing it not to fill and therefor not dump powder, thats bad. So that last 25 had to be take apart and I had 10 or so squibbs. Now with the powder measure carefully positioned I was ready to continue. At this point I was thinking I had everything set properly well so I would go another 100 rounds.

The second 100 went smooth and in about 6 minutes I had a 100 good loads as I was very careful to watch things.

So again if you have not been using the PTX bell die this is a big transition and I suggest you load a couple hunder first that way before going with the bulet feeder. I also used a regular plunger rather than the micrometer since it might rub on something and adjust the powder drop for me. That would be bad on major 9's.

So the verdict is that even with the "defective" die the bullet feeder works great not a single upside down or missed bullet other than my error not turning it on after stopping to make an adjustment.

My press was all out of whack since I had to move it to the other end of the bench and take it all apart etc but its back where it needs to be and is working good the the bullet feeder. It takes a bit to get use to looking for the powder in a different spot. And if you forget to look just pull the bullet out and put it back in.

Also I didn't mention it but the new PTX die that you get will have oil on it so wash it down with Break cleaner or other solvent so powder will not gum up in it.

Next I am going to move it and mount it up with the XL650 which is what I use for my primary gun loading.

How much space is needed to mount this up ? Does it attach to the press base, or mount to the bench ?

Mounts to the bench and it require about 6 inches left of the press and a couple inches behind the press. I just had my LNL too close ot the XL650.

The tool head gets real crowded due to the tall bullet feeder die and positioning the powder measure correctly becomes critical.

I moved the Bullet feeder to the Dillon XL650. The mounting location is 7 3/4" behind the XL650 (center of the bolt hole on the back) to the center of the right hole of the Hornady Bullet Feeder mount. This allowed me to leave the flex tube intact at 20" in length as supplied.

I loaded 200 rounds in about 4 minutes with no exceptions or stoppages other than looking for the primer tube I just set down but I did find it.

I will make another post after 5000 rounds, unless something goes wrong before that.

CocoBolo

Thanks for the updates I am still waiting for my Bullet feeder die.

I have been using the Power funnel expander which works extremely well can you measure the amount of the case bellow you have the PTX setup to do?

Thanks

Ian

CocoBolo

Thanks for the updates I am still waiting for my Bullet feeder die.

I have been using the Power funnel expander which works extremely well can you measure the amount of the case bellow you have the PTX setup to do?

Thanks

Ian

With the Hornady PTX setup I ran a bell on the case of .378-.380 and bullets set right in there no problem. The defective die works just fine, you change the adjustment to just run the adjustment all the way down, then when you shake it you can hear the two pieces inside have space to more around. It works just fine.

I'm running a .380 bell with the Dillon and the bullets are staying put in the case while moving to the next station.

The wired thing is figuring out what to do with the left hand. This is like being at a stop light, you know women brush their hair because they don't have any balls to scratch.

With the Hornady PTX setup I ran a bell on the case of .378-.380 and bullets set right in there no problem. The defective die works just fine, you change the adjustment to just run the adjustment all the way down, then when you shake it you can hear the two pieces inside have space to more around. It works just fine.

Hum, mine doesn't do that. If I run it down it hits the collets, no rattle. Back it off 1/2 a turn and it's fine. Heck, it will activate with a case with NO expansion right out of the Lee/EGW "U" die but naturally the bullet won't enter the case.

Really the only problem mine seems to have is the top hole for the spring is too big. It's .500" and the spring is something like .475" so it didn't want to stay in. I went to the hardware store and bought a foot of 1/2" OD clear vinyl tubing for 33 cents. I cut about an inch off, did some Dremel work on it and turned that short piece into a coupler. So far that's working out like a dream. Now I want PTX stop thingy they show in the video and directions! :cheers:

Jeff's PTX stopper I watched his video a while back and was impressed with his idea.

I went to purchase a turnbuckle and machine it on my lathe when the Power Funnel showed up and solved those issues.

It looks to me like it will work fine with the Hornady Bullet Feeder die Coco measurements confirm this.

There is a fellow posting on AR15 Forum of several Mods to get the last 10 Bullets to feed anyone having issues with this?

Ian

Mine definitely feeds better with a decent amount of bullets in it. The last few don't want to orient properly to get fed.

That behavior seems to be common. I keep a couple handfulls in it all the time. The noise takes a bit of getting use to, it drowns out the case feeder.

SLM - Your bullet feeder die isn't one of the defective ones, as the defect is the threads are not cut deep enough to run it down to the collets. Mine probably has 1/8" of free space when the adjustment is run in all the way.

Mine definitely feeds better with a decent amount of bullets in it. The last few don't want to orient properly to get fed.

That behavior seems to be common. I keep a couple handfulls in it all the time. The noise takes a bit of getting use to, it drowns out the case feeder.

SLM - Your bullet feeder die isn't one of the defective ones, as the defect is the threads are not cut deep enough to run it down to the collets. Mine probably has 1/8" of free space when the adjustment is run in all the way.

Interesting! I just went and tore the thing apart again, wiped it down and put it back together. Guess what? It rattles! :ph34r: I guess I didn't get it clean enough the first time and the packing lube didn't let it really slide around so I didn't notice it. Oops, sorry about that bud. :blush:

While I was at it I grabbed the middle size feed tube and tried it in the die and it fits nice and snug. My tubing coupler seems to work fine but it would be nice if the small feed tube fit the new die like the middle one fits this one. :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

Any updates on the bullet feeder? How's it working? Tricks? Overall impression? Thinking about one for the 650 but i'm doubtful it will work withe the 1050 given the toolhead movement.

WADS (working as designed). I've only put about 500 rounds thru it on the XL650 but it works just fine. My impression is that a bullet feeder doesn't make you that much faster like the change when you went to a case feeder. I'd say that being half the cost of other bullets feeders its a steal of a deal!

I'm waiting on my anti powder sling kit from Sean at PowderFactorShooting then I can start romping down on the handle, for now I load at a measured pace to keep the powder in the case. (Major 9).

Hit Factor Shooting ?

I was just looking at their bearing. I wonder if it would work on a LNL? I've been considering switching to AutoComp, so I con't have to fill the cases to the top and sling powder all over.

There are some basic differences in the LNL & Dillon, the LNL has 3 balls in the shell plate that are small, the Dillon has one big ball located in the base of the press. My LNL does not snap and sling as bad as the Dillon. It is a matter of getting just the right tension on the shell plate, and I also put a little wheel bearing grease on the shell plate balls. When I get my kit, and it's been a couple weeks now, I'll try it on the LNL and post here.

You can order your own as well from McMaster Carr - I did (ordered an extra one, except a buddy of mine is using it, otherwise I would've sent it to you for costs) - here's the info you need:

Go to www.mcmaster.com (McMaster Carr - an awesome, just about has everything, parts supplier, that doesn't have a minimum order!), and get these parts.

5909K31 1 Each Steel Needle-roller Thrust Bearing Cage Assembly For 1/2" Shaft Diameter, 15/16" Od

5909K44 2 Each .032" Thick Washer For 1/2" Shaft Diameter Steel Needle-roller Thrust Bearing

If you can pool up with other people the costs go down even further. MC is awesome to deal with and you'll have it in 2 days. No offense to Sean and his outfit, but if a guy can save a buck or two... :cheers:

Where did you buy it and how much $$$

I just got my LNL delivered yesterday from Midway. The case and bullet feeder are on back order for a few weeks. I am not going to do the press set up till I have everything so maybe if I buy from elsewhere I can get set up sooner.

I got my bullet feeder from http://www/grafs.com and it was $243.00 if I remember correctly.

Now if I were you I would get that LNL outa the box set it up and start learning how to use it without the case feeder. The case feeder adds another level of difficutly to set up adjustment and loading and I'd recommend doing that incrementally instead of big bang. Same goes for the bullet feeder and right now I'd say the bullet feeder set up and adjustment is easier than the case feeder. Just my .02 after 1 yr LNL no case feeder 2 yrs with case feeder and a coulple runs with the bullet feeder.

To get the case feeder working aka fine tuned and adjusted take a couple hundred rounds of loading. Yes and I am very at physics aka mechanical. See my next post on bullet feeder.

Edited by CocoBolo

Ok did another 500 rounds this morning on the Dillon XL650 with the bullet feeder. Darn that mailman he showed up after I struggled thru 300 rounds with the powder sling kit. Any way with the powder slinging this caused powder to get up in the bullet feeder die and when this happens the bullet gets wedged in there and you have to stop and clean the bullet feeder die. Talk about my akin cabbarasity, best is unscrew the top, I used the wire I use for a take down to push the bullets and bushings out of the die, then a cleaning rod and die to clean it out and then back together. I't was double ugly, then I figured out when that happened just take a punch and push the stuck bullet up and it would skip one bullet then feed again.

Mailman showed and I put the little bearing and washers on and cut the ball spring 1/2 coil. Now the powder slinging gone but how about a new problem CoCo, crap the ejector spring started messing up and I had me a death jam two inbound cases and the loaded round all trying to get into station one at the same time! Put the spring back into place and about every 3rd or 4th round same tired a jam. Thinking on it a moment I removed the bottom washer, heck the shell plate is flat enough, and that did the trick, no more death jam and no powder slinging so I cranked out 200 rounds with no issues.

Bottom line the Bullet feeder die is very sensative to debris, make sure the bullets are clean of stuff like powder etc before putting them in the bullet feeder and keep the bullet feeder clean, if have full cases that sling powder you will have issues so slow down or cure the sling!

I didn't need to load any rounds but nothing wrong with having an extra 500 on hand!

Had a friend over, he has the kiss bullet feeder and he was very intrigued by the Hornady, nothing like the kiss, but he thought it worked ok. After dinking around with my XL650 he figured out the problem with his, he was having problems with cases getting into the shell plate, turns out my slider spring is 4 times a strong as his, I'll bet he don't change his mag springs either, Hehe Open GM, but he can shoot. :bow:

Edited by CocoBolo