Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady Bullet Feeder Install Tips

Ejector wire fix is discussed here. My link

I just invented a simpler.,easier and more effective fix. Take the bottom washer off, need no diagram and if you remove the bearing your wire won't need to be un-bent.

Hmmm, that sounds easier to me as well. Might try that.

• 2 months later...

Has anyone tried this out with a strong mount on the XL 650 ?

The height of the XL650 without the Strong Mount is an issue for the bullet feeder with it being 3 -4 inches taller than the Hornady press, the strong mount would make the press taller than the bullet feeder. The only way to offset this would be to jack the bullet feeder up as the bullets won't feed up hill. You could probably just put a 4" piece of C-Iron under it or a piece of 4x4 block.

• 1 month later...

Hi Coco,

Thanks for posting there is some excellent info. Could you please post up a couple of photo's with it setup around the XL650?

I am ordering my unit through Grafs so it would be pretty handy to see it setup. I will have the same issue with the strong mount mentioned above so will just use a piece of 4x4. When you ordered the unit through Graf's did you also need to order the bullet feeder die? On the hornday web site it says sold separately?

Cheers

Dave

Edited by vscorsa

Hi Coco,

Thanks for posting there is some excellent info. Could you please post up a couple of photo's with it setup around the XL650?

I am ordering my unit through Grafs so it would be pretty handy to see it setup. I will have the same issue with the strong mount mentioned above so will just use a piece of 4x4. When you ordered the unit through Graf's did you also need to order the bullet feeder die? On the hornday web site it says sold separately?

Cheers

Dave

Yes you need to order the die for each caliber you want to use it on. I don't have a strong mount, so you are going to have to wing it. With the bullet die in the loader and the assembled bullet feeder just position it so that gravity can do its work and there are no sharp beends in the tube.

I'm using it on my lock and load currently but I may move it back to the 650, but the LNL is about the same speed as the 650 with the bullet feeder.

Coco, I'm curious as to why you are using the XL650 instead of the LNL for your primary loading on your 9 mm major open gun. You must feel that the XL650 is better or has some advantages over the Hornady but can you explain why? I started out loading more than fifteen years ago now, on one of the very first versions of the Hornady progressive and currently have a "newer" version of the LNL w/case feeder attached. I have never worked with Dillon's that much, but they look very similar in operation from viewing friends using theirs. I just purchased the newest version of the LNL, with the case feeder and bullet feeder. Haven't received the bullet feeder and feed die (backordered for over two months now thru Midway). But my intention is to use this as my primary press for my 9 major open pistol and once I get it all dialed in will hopefully get production similar to the 1050 for about $600+ less investment.

Edited by rnbore

• 1 month later...

Coco - I have the feeder coming, but gut the dies today, so I put it on and started using it on my 650 by simply refilling it by hand, just to get the feel for it.

I increased the bell to their recommended 380, and it feeds the bullet, but it wobbles too much, there is no retention as it moves to the seater position. Is this just due to snap action? Or in your case the bullet is held slightly in place? Mine are just sitting there. I have the bearing, which I normally don't use, but I am curious if there should be some retention.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick Update

I noticed when reloading my 45 ACP the Bullet feeder prefers to feed with the Bullet Feeder setup at the shallower angle. Probably due to heavy Bullet weight in the larger Calibers.

When switching to 380 ACP it must be made steeper to feed Bullets with any consistency.

The Bullet Feeder has now been tested for every Caliber and over a 10 month period.

1. What would I improve the location of the Pickup tube should not be at 12 OClock but rather at 11 OClock.

2. Slightly shape the Black Plastic inserts cutting them at a slight angle makes the Bullets feed smoother less flip. " Especially in smaller Calibers"

Thanks

Ian

Edited by flyjets

Coco, I'm curious as to why you are using the XL650 instead of the LNL for your primary loading on your 9 mm major open gun. You must feel that the XL650 is better or has some advantages over the Hornady but can you explain why? I started out loading more than fifteen years ago now, on one of the very first versions of the Hornady progressive and currently have a "newer" version of the LNL w/case feeder attached. I have never worked with Dillon's that much, but they look very similar in operation from viewing friends using theirs. I just purchased the newest version of the LNL, with the case feeder and bullet feeder. Haven't received the bullet feeder and feed die (backordered for over two months now thru Midway). But my intention is to use this as my primary press for my 9 major open pistol and once I get it all dialed in will hopefully get production similar to the 1050 for about $600+ less investment.

I missed your post, but to answer you questions, No the xl650 is not superior to the LNL, I have the latest mods on my LNL and it is a great machine. I never used the PTX die on the LNL until I got the bullet feeder, and since I already used a ptx type die on the XL650 I decided to run it there for a while. Other than the noise I am very happy with the bullet feeder.

My bullet feeder is on the LNL currently, as I make a large run of 9 minor. The xl650 is on 40's for my Limited gun, it changes as the needs change, I can use the bullet feeder on either and it works good.

Coco - I have the feeder coming, but gut the dies today, so I put it on and started using it on my 650 by simply refilling it by hand, just to get the feel for it.

I increased the bell to their recommended 380, and it feeds the bullet, but it wobbles too much, there is no retention as it moves to the seater position. Is this just due to snap action? Or in your case the bullet is held slightly in place? Mine are just sitting there. I have the bearing, which I normally don't use, but I am curious if there should be some retention.

There isn't much retention, but what there is comes from giving it a tad more bell and adjusting the bullet feeding die. I don't have problems with bullets falling out. I adjust the shell plate in the xl650 so there is a slight amount of drag and the snap is gone.

Thank you! Adding some drag sounds like something to try. Need to be careful with the registration, of course.

Bump your bell up to .382 - .383 that is what seems to work best for me, the bullets don't tip over.

Today the Mr.Bulletfeeder came. It took about 30 minutes to get it running, rather simple procedure. Of course next to Hornady it spells higher quality, and its operation is smoother and more reliable.

In some cases you DO get extra quality for some extra cash.

And of course there are things that should be... will be changed, but for now it is working just great!

post-21305-0-88962400-1308867320_thumb.j

Today the Mr.Bulletfeeder came. It took about 30 minutes to get it running, rather simple procedure. Of course next to Hornady it spells higher quality, and its operation is smoother and more reliable.

And of course there are things that should be... will be changed, but for now it is working just great!

I see you are still getting a couple of upside down bullets in the tube with the Hornady. Have you been able to see what is happening to cause this problem? Are there any similar problems with the new Mr.Bulletfeeder unit?

I see you are still getting a couple of upside down bullets in the tube with the Hornady. Have you been able to see what is happening to cause this problem? Are there any similar problems with the new Mr.Bulletfeeder unit?

Adjusting the little spring scrapers will take care of that problem. I loaded about 2000 rounds this week and didn't have any upside down bullets, now if I could just get the case feeder to work that well.

Right you are again! I already made the adjustment a couple of times, including the disc height, which is also critical, but apparently it still needs fine tuning - my constantly being between several projects doesn't help! :) There is also chance that my lid, with its thick foam, is pushing on the feelers, disturbing the adjustment.

In reality, there were maybe 5 flips per several hundred rounds that I so far ran through it, so no big deal, at this point I am already grossly outrunning my ability to shoot, and with the addition of the Mr. BF the gap is getting wider, so the presses will be sitting largely idle.

What I need now is the machine for putting ammo in boxes and attaching labels.