Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wilson recoil system VS STI recoil system

clintreich

Wilson Combat shok-buff recoil system VS STI recoil reduction system. First question, do these so called "recoil reduction systems" actually work? Second, I'm new to the 1911 world so I'm wondering if they are designed to do the same thing. Know alot about both companies and that both products should be good quality so I'm just wondering why there is a large price differense.

Wilson's shok buff is simply a nylon "washer" that installs over your guide rod. Some people like them, and some don't. They are inexpensive, so not much harm done if you try them.

STI recoil master is a complete setup with dual spring captive / guide rod that you can simply switch out.

Do a little research, there are lots of opinions here on both, plus various spring weights for different calibers and loads.

Wilson Combat shok-buff recoil system VS STI recoil reduction system. First question, do these so called "recoil reduction systems" actually work? Second, I'm new to the 1911 world so I'm wondering if they are designed to do the same thing. Know alot about both companies and that both products should be good quality so I'm just wondering why there is a large price differense.

If you already have a full length guide rod then don't buy the Wilson system,I think the Wilson system comes with a Full Length Guide rod,buffer and spring,so if you already have the Full length guide rod then just buy the buffs and save money.

There is to many different opinions on both these products. Do a search and reads the 100 pages of info on this subject. I personally us a F-L-G-R and a CP recoil buffer with a Sprinco 12lb recoil spring in my .40 1911. :cheers:

hey sorry guys, i wasnt specific enough, my bad. i was talking about the Wilson Combat Shok-buff "Recoil System" which comes with the items Roy stated above. I found it on Brownells and in the description it stated "Prevents expensive frame damage and softens the felt recoil of high power competition loads." This is why i was wondering how it compared to the STI. I will do some research but i like to concider this research as well, haha. its good to get advice from shooters that have actually used the product or something similar. BTW i forgot to mention that it is for a SW1911DK in .45. thanks guys

I'd say save your money. Do you have a FLGR set up now? If you're wondering if the buffs help, I'll send you one for free to try out. Shooting the same gun back to back, on a FLGR set up, one can not tell the difference with the buffs.

What the buffs will do over time, is come apart and jam something. Have you ever heard of a 1911 frame wearing out there?

The Recoil Master won't fit the vast majority of "1911s", as it all but requires a slide with the recoil spring tunnel bored through at spring plug diameter, for a bushing barrel. A standard (spec) 1911 slide will not allow the recoil spring plug to pass through. A full-length guide rod will generally work with a bushing barrel, but it's still a hassle compared to a standard set-up if the whole recoil system can't be withdrawn through the rear of the slide.

hey sorry guys, i wasnt specific enough, my bad. i was talking about the Wilson Combat Shok-buff "Recoil System" which comes with the items Roy stated above. I found it on Brownells and in the description it stated "Prevents expensive frame damage and softens the felt recoil of high power competition loads." This is why i was wondering how it compared to the STI. I will do some research but i like to concider this research as well, haha. its good to get advice from shooters that have actually used the product or something similar. BTW i forgot to mention that it is for a SW1911DK in .45. thanks guys

Recoil master will not fit your gun. What pound recoil spring are you using? Try a 14lb recoil spring.

What sort of ammo are you using? Most factory 1911s come with overly heavy recoil springs to start with for anything other than really hot ammo...it makes them feed more reliably, and does somewhat protect the frame. In general, if the gun is fit properly, and you're not shooting large quantities of really hot ammo, the gun is going to last a really long time, and simply isn't much of a consideration. 100K rounds shouldn't be an issue for any gun properly built....at that point, you've probably gotten your moneys worth!

Not to nitpick what Roy posted, but a 14lb recoil is too light for factory ammo....which would lead to frame battering. For ammo loaded to something like 175PF, it would be fine, but is on the lighter side. R

I have always been interested in this topic. I wish my memory was better, and that I had saved the article, but I recall reading years ago (pre-internet days) about a gunsmith (well known--Novak, Wilson, someone like that) who was tired of guessing, or was tired of people asking / telling him how a light spring would cause frame damage to a 1911. So he rigged up a frame and slide with no spring in it at all, then put it on a pnuematic (sp?) acctuator that replicated the slide cycling at firing speed. Then he let it run for 50,000 cycles. The article stated that there was very little appreciative damage to either the slide or frame. If that was true and accurate (which is a big if), I think we could stop worrying about running a buff.

I do have a five inch SVI pistol with a Caspian slide bull barrel that I like the feel, recoil impulse of the STI Recoil Master, Heavy in this pistol. In all my other 2011 and 1911 guns I'm running stock type springs on either full length guide rods or stock Colt guides and plugs. I have tried the Recoil Master both light and Heavy in several guns and gone back to conventional springs.

Spend a little time tuning springs and the guns just run better.

I don't care for the rubber or synthetic shock buffs, there a cure for a problem that doesn't exist.

In a 45 I would suggest an assortment of recoil springs from 16.5, 18 and 20lb springs and a 17lb mainspring then do some testing to see which spring weight feels the best for your load and the way you hold the gun.

I think there's a balancing act of stationary / recipricating mass and grip that will reduce and help you control recoil.

To keep some stationary weight up front where it matters in a 1911. Try a tungsten guide rod before trying a recoilmaster or frame saver style system.