Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Keeping a Back Up Gun for Major Matches

prreed10

I always take a backup wether it's Open,Ltd.,or S/S. Remember the old saying;Don't leave home without it.

Orangeman I thought it was "better to have it and not need it than need it and not haveit" :roflol: I can see their not working you enough if you have time to post at night. It supposed to rain Sun. Are you going to toys for the toys for tots match? I will be at the Gun Show.

I no longer go to the practice range with only one gun! :-) It probably isn't true, but it sure SEEMS like the times I tried to do this, something always ruined the day. I"m not saying that I had 2 of a kind, tho. It might be 1-2 1911's and an AR, or a pocket 9 might be part of the load, etc. Then the trip doesn't get wasted. I used to have to drive 50 miles to shoot. that's no longer true, but the times that things went wrong really sucked.

I always have a backup...

You should have seen me checking in to the hotel for Fort Benning : 2 rifles, 2 shotguns and 2 pistols, plus my carry gun... I was ready for anything :roflol:

Best case scenario, I can help someone out who is having issues. Worst case, I'm covered if I have issues...

Edited by HS101

Hello: I have always carried spare parts to matches but this year I will be taking parts and a spare pistol. The parts I have loaned out mostly and only needed one for myself yesterday for my son(recoil spring Glock). If you can afford a backup pistol I would do it. I would make it very close to your primary pistol if not the same. I have seen small parts cause big problems for some shooters. If you can stay calm and fix your own pistol then you may not need a spare pistol. If you are high strung get the spare pistol or take a friend with the same pistol with you. I have helped out guys who are so upset that there gun crapped out they don't even see what the problem is and want to give up. I have also seen guys that just go with the flow and fix the problem and go on. You will have to decide what you can deal with at the match. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

Kyle, even Glocks break once in a while. :lol: The only time I had to use a backup was in an Area match, I was shooting a Glock in Production. I like your Rule #1, but the investment in time and money for a bigger match would deem it necessary, IMHO, to have the second gun with you.

I don't know why anybody would choose a gun they felt they needed to have two of. That kinda breaks my Rule #1...bring stuff that works.

Maybe you should take a step into reality, anything can break!

I don't trust being able to get to work to make my living to one vehicle, do you?

Do you not keep extra lightbulbs in the house?

If your dumb enuff to be a smoker(guilty) do you only keep one lighter?

Keep any spare bootlaces laying around?

I guess it depends on how much you value what you are doing.

If you can deal with the frustration of sending in a large match fee and having your pistol go down at the match(your probably toast anyway) or three days before while your practicing then just have one.

Me, I'm not driving 24hr's to canada to hunt waterfowl for ten days and taking only one shotgun, or paying 200 bucks to shoot a match and making hotel reservations with some friends just to have it blow up cause of gun trouble.

I guess you do whatever you want or can afford, but it sounds a tad arrogant to declare that your equipment is infallible and the rest of us are lacking.

I'm at the same crossroads, looking at retiring the old blaster to the bullpen and building a new one. Hell might even pick up a point or two with some of the new technology????????

Mildot

I have been shooting this game for 13 years now, never once have I needed to go to a back up gun until I went to my first Nats in "09". Shooting a Glock 35. This thing farted on me on almost every stage. FTF, FTE, dropping mags. finally went to my B U on the last day, G22. Should have done it sooner.

At the 2010 Nats, second day of shooting, going to the crono, I placed the gun on the table as instructed ( Caspian HiCap ) and noticed the hinge pin in my BoMar had broke. The pin had broke and each half had come out each side. so, a back up was needed again.

I would NEVER go to a match with out a back up. Just my 2 cents.