Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ccncerns with spray lube getting inside the 38 SC cases?

Foxbat

No rentention problems, but be careful of getting Dillon lube in the cases. I had some squibs traced back to that very issue. If you use One Shot, then don't worry about it. I bought some Lanolin and now make my own lube. 12 ounces of it and at the rate I'm using it it should last me 10 yrs. Total cost was $12... Works like a champ and even softens your hands. lol

JT

Even though I use one shot I still spray the inside of a gallon zip lock bag and dump in 100-200 cases and knead them around so the outside of the cases get lube on them but there is no way to get any on the inside. May not be necessary but it works good for me so thats how I do it.

Neal in AZ

Are you not using carbide dies? Why are you using lube on 38 SC? Just curious....

Carbide dies, of course, but the job goes soooooooo much easier, takes so much less effort with some lube. Much less stress on the press and your arm, and when your elbow is not that young any longer... :(

Even though I use one shot I still spray the inside of a gallon zip lock bag and dump in 100-200 cases and knead them around so the outside of the cases get lube on them but there is no way to get any on the inside. May not be necessary but it works good for me so thats how I do it.

Neal in AZ

I have a tray that I spray the bottom of... then i drop the cases in and vibrate them by hand.... works like a champ and keeps the stuff from getting inside. Lanolin is the reason Dillon has some issues as well. It will not dry out... ever. It's important that you keep any Lanolin based product from getting inside your cases. This is esp true if you load and then shoot right away. It seems that if it has a chance to sit in there with the powder for a bit it will light off, but if it is still fresh it may have an issue. No proof of this other than my own observations.

If you use the bag or tray methods, you should be fine regardless. Remember, it only takes a very little to do the job... don't saturate either the round, the bag or the tray.

JT

Are you not using carbide dies? Why are you using lube on 38 SC? Just curious....

Carbide dies, of course, but the job goes soooooooo much easier, takes so much less effort with some lube. Much less stress on the press and your arm, and when your elbow is not that young any longer... :(

Agreed... noway I load without lube.

Agreed... noway I load without lube.

+1

Siphon

Take an old cookie sheet or cooking tray, fill it up 3/4 with cases, knock them down on their side. Apply some lube on the cases, shake the tray around, then hit it with another couple pumps of lube. Shake again, then let dry and you are done. I knock them down so I don't get any lube in the case mouth. Works really well. It is always easier to resize with lube, period.

DougC

Just a FWIW I've been using One Shot in the pump bottle, not aerosol. It has water in the mix and I've had some unexplained squibs. I've since been more careful about letting any get into the case and using it very sparingly. Still works great as lube, just be aware of what you're spraying on your case, I wasn't.

Kevin

For 9 Open I've used Hornady One Shot without any problems. I lay the cases flat, spray on the side and slide back and forth to roll them. Much easier to resize. No squibs. No retention issues.

Edited by sidnal

No rentention problems, but be careful of getting Dillon lube in the cases. I had some squibs traced back to that very issue. If you use One Shot, then don't worry about it. I bought some Lanolin and now make my own lube. 12 ounces of it and at the rate I'm using it it should last me 10 yrs. Total cost was $12... Works like a champ and even softens your hands. lol

JT

I had a bunch of squibs from dillon lube getting inside my 45 cases. Wish I would have seen your post back then. Took me forever to figure out what caused them.

Pat

Just a FWIW I've been using One Shot in the pump bottle, not aerosol. It has water in the mix and I've had some unexplained squibs. I've since been more careful about letting any get into the case and using it very sparingly. Still works great as lube, just be aware of what you're spraying on your case, I wasn't.

Kevin

I have had a bunch of guys complain about squibs and misfires with Pump One Shot, especially in rifle cases. It seems to not evaporate fast enough. I have used Dillon for close on 15years, never had a problem at all. Can't recommend it highly enough. But don't go swimming your cases in it.

I get in on the inside for sure, never a problem with bullet retention, powder drop off or anything. 30K rounds a year no issues, won't change voluntarily.

My technique is to invert about 20 cases on a piece of newspaper or an old towel. Spray one side of the cases with a mixture of lanolin and rubbing alcohol. Use a lubed case every fifth round or so or when the die starts dragging.

Never had any problems.

Chris

I'm certain that I get Dillon lube on the inside of my 40 cases because I sometimes see powder stuck to the side of the case, when I place the bullet. But, I've not had any squibs either. After reading this, I will make an effort to put all the cases on their side before spraying them with lube.