Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which .223 Ammo To Use At The Smm3g?

bthp

I will be using a 16 inch barrel, 1 in 9 twist. Which commercially available round should I use for this match? I have always liked the Federal Gold Medal 69 grn, but someone recently suggested that there were primer issues with this round in a semi-auto .223. What else is better for the match?

You can't go wrong with Black Hills 68 heavy match in the blue box (remanuf.). Fulton Armory has a pretty good deal on it by the case.

It's good for just about everything ... excellent terminal ballistics for defense, very, very accurate in just about any AR, and a little extra mass of smack steel downrange when you need some oomph in the gun games.

Federal AE223 55gr - everybody disses light bullets these days, but 55gr ammo shoots relatively flat - an advantage in this game.

A 200yd zero with 55gr M193 will let you hold COM with reasonable assurance of hit anywhere out to and beyond 300yd; the 68gr trajectory is a little less forgiving. 55gr also recoils less, FWIW.

This thread pretty much beats the issue to death, lots of different opinions from some great riflemen:

Which ammo for 3 Gun?

No power factor = 40 grain bullets UNLESS you have to knock over steel.

Last year I shot 40s up close and 69s at the farther shots. The rifle was zeroed for the 69s. I had no problem using the 40s with the same zero. BUT that's my rifle AND I checked it out first.

I'm running 55's up close ( PMP ) South African I think. 77 SMK reloads at the longer ranges worked well last year. What ever you use KNOW were it hits from contact to 300 yd.