Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Firing pin stop crack

sauza45

I think the firing pin stop is cracked in the lower left corner? What do you think and if it is how hard is it to fit a new

one. I have an Aftec extractor and have never done this before. The gun has 12,239 rounds on it. It is and STI Edge in 40.

I think the firing pin stop is cracked in the lower left corner? What do you think and if it is how hard is it to fit a new

one. I have an Aftec extractor and have never done this before. The gun has 12,239 rounds on it. It is and STI Edge in 40.

I've had two of them crack.... no big deal to fit, just look at the old one.

As a side: I ran one of them cracked for over a year and it never did break. The slide finally broke and it was replaced with the slide.

JT

They are the same, but will need some fitting to match your old fp stop. If that Fp stop breaks while shooting you can catch those peices and your firing pin with your face. Fp stops are notorious for cracking where you mentioned as it is the thinnest part of the part is from the radiused corner to the the pin hole.

I have seen a few of them crack in my days. On my latest competion gun I purchased a firing pin stop that did not have the full ejector notch and left it that way. Can't remember who makes it but it came from Brownells and was a non-MIM part from a well known maker. It simply means to remove it before taking the slide off the frame. I doubt it will crack....ever.

Edited by mpeltier

Yes I belive it is a factory part just chromed. The Gun is a Brazos SC Limited, It has never failed on me. It was shooting fine,

I just saw the crack while cleaning. I orderd the ss model Ed Brown, It shouldbe here today and I can try fitting my 1st firing

pin stop. I will let you how it turnes out.

Edited by sauza45

Ok I ordered an Ed Brown SS hardcore stop, Wislon SS bullet proof stop, and the STI stop.

The Ed brown says its for a series 70 but is cut for a series 80.

The Wilson dropped right in the slide, the only fitting was to file the top for the bomar rear sight. A little loose for me but worked.

The STI alhough blue was oversize from side to side and front to back. Already cut for the bomar sight, all I had to do was fit it for front to back and side to side.

Being this was my first firing pin stop fitting I was happy with the outcome. I will use the STI and keep the Wilson for a spare.