Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Remington 1100 Slug Feed Problems

Lilly

I have two Remongton 1100's: a 12 and 20 gauge. They both have stopped running slugs. I have replaced the magazines springs in both of them, and cleaned them really well. They both were running slugs just fine for a number of years.

In the 20, the slug comes partially out of the tube and gets stuck against the carrier. It is mostly in the tube with the base against the carrier. You have to push up on the carrier and then the slug flips out.

The 12 just doesn't feed the slug at all. It has had the ports enlarged and I am using Remington reduced recoil slugs. Does anyone have other brands of reduced recoil slugs I might try?

If I cannot fix these two, is there someone I could send them to for repair?

Lilly

I've had similar problems shooting Remington Reduced recoil slugs out of my Browning Gold. Briley worked on the gun, but discouraged using the Remington Reduced recoil slugs. I finally stopped. Jeff Cramblit put me on some B&P reduced recoil slugs which are designed for USPSA and tactical use. Check them out.

https://tp-commerce.techpro.com/bandp/shopd...?id=8&cat=Slugs

They work great in my Browning.

I've had similar problems shooting Remington Reduced recoil slugs out of my Browning Gold. Briley worked on the gun, but discouraged using the Remington Reduced recoil slugs. I finally stopped. Jeff Cramblit put me on some B&P reduced recoil slugs which are designed for USPSA and tactical use.

Did they give a reason why they discourage the use of the Remington reduced recoil slugs? And what is different about the B&P that makes them function better?

I do not have any problems with the Rem reduced recoil sulgs in my 1100 but it is a non ported 22" barrel. My buddy has a little shorter barrel and it is ported and will not run them at all. His likes the Fed Tactical and Winchester Ranger slugs. The Ranger slugs tend to more accurate.

I ran 67 RRR Slugs through my box-stock ex-Benelli w/18.5" barrel in one day (not to mention 110+ birdshot) without issue. Apples to oranges, I know, but it sounds like some bad mojo is happening that needs fixing by a competent gunsmith.

I ran 67 RRR Slugs through my box-stock ex-Benelli w/18.5" barrel in one day (not to mention 110+ birdshot) without issue. Apples to oranges, I know, but it sounds like some bad mojo is happening that needs fixing by a competent gunsmith.

I may be all wet here, but it seems like most of the 1100s and 11-87s I've seen that have trouble with the RRR slugs (thanks for the acronym!) have been "newer" guns, made since the late 1980s or so. Mine was made in the mid 1970s and it will runs the RRRs all day withouth a hitch.

Did they give a reason why they discourage the use of the Remington reduced recoil slugs?  And what is different about the B&P that makes them function better?

The gunsmith that worked on my Browning had alot to say about RRR slugs. He said that several of his clients had complained that their guns (Brownings) would not shoot the RRR slugs and that they wanted them "fixed" so that they would, specifically because they were getting the slugs for free (seems resonable). The gunsmith's response was that he could get the gun to shoot them, but they wouldn't shoot anything else. I was told by Briley that they would no longer guarantee work done on Browning Golds. The main reason being that they couldn't get the RRR to work. They will work on them. They just won't guarantee it. With that said, they worked on mine. It works great with the exception of the RRR slugs. It feeds the B&P slugs without a hitch. I don't know what makes them better. However, the recoil is similar if not less than light target loads. On finding a wholesale connection on the B&P slugs. I haven't had any luck. If someone finds them at a better price ($164 for 200), please pass it on.

but it sounds like some bad mojo is happening that needs fixing by a competent gunsmith.

On the competent gunsmith comment (ouch) I've been impressed with Briley. They do good work.

Hi it sounds like the one where the base of the case hits against the carrier needs some tweaking.

There should be only a very little play in the carrier, up and down with the action open. If you can move it even a fraction of an inch you may well need to have the finger that is part of the carrier and rides along the release catch bend up to remove this play. What in effect this does is to force the base of the carrier down and away from the the mag tube, thus allowing the shells to come out and hit the release catch etc.

Not sure on your other gun as you dont describle the malfunction. But its probably bext to get a 'smith to check the other one out as bending the wrong bit may cause more problems rather than less.

Rich

I like the "made for IPSC" moniker but they seem way pricey. I get RRR slugs from Cheaper than dirt for 45. or so a case of 20 boxes of 5.

I had problems with the light slugs after I put on a JP comp on my 1187 and drilled out the ports. I had to get an activator for it. They are for the 3.5 in magnums to shoot low base shells. Works like a champ now.

Rob

I do not have any problems with the Rem reduced recoil sulgs in my 1100 but it is a non ported 22" barrel.

Warpspeed,

You mention a 22" barrel on your Rem 1100 above. Did you have the barrel cut to 22" or did you buy aftermarket? I ask because I am looking for a 22" barrel for my 1100. Thanks.