Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI "Big Stick" 38 super 26 rounds?

ak47traxx

I recently purchased my first open blaster. It didn't come with any mags so I bought a STI Magazine STI-2011 170mm 38 Super 28-Round new from midway.

Also got the STI-Dawson Basepad +1 for STI-2011 for it.

But I can only get 26 rounds in the mag. There is no way I can force another round in.

I should be able to get 29 rounds correct?

You need to change to a grams or bolen follower, ISMI or bolen spring. I use Dawson +1+ SNL. I own 1 bigstick and it holds 30 reloadbable. Broke my ejector with 31. I know a few that can get 32 in a rescomp tube, with bolen guts.

Hello: STI uses there own follower and a Wolff spring I believe. For a STI mag I would use a Grams spring and follower. It should hold 28-29 rounds once the spring sets. Another combo is a Dawson follower and ISMI spring. The Bolen setup works better for the SVI mag tubes. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

If you use Bolen basepads, along with their springs and followers, you have a good chance to get 29 rounds with Super.....28 at the very least.

I have two mags that easily hold 29 rounds - one is a tuned mag from Brazos (and is all Grams) and one is just an over-the-count tube with a Bolen basepad. But 29 rounds in a super magazine isn't all that hard to get/make.

Hello: The Dawson follower works very well with the ISMI spring. The Bolen follower will work if the mag is not too wide. If it is too wide "salt shaker city". I use the Grams 4mm base pad and check the gauge. I just fixed a 170mm STI tube and it holds a reloadable 29 rounds of 38 super and fits the gauge with a little room. It has Grams guts. Thanks, Eric

Warnings.....don't try using a Bolen follwer in a stock STI tube, and a Dawson +1SNL may not fit the gauge (probably won't without some grinding on the back of the feed lips, if at all). Grams 13-coil spring and follower, with a standard Dawson +1 should give you an easy 28 or 29...just depends. R,

I know a few that can get 32 in a rescomp tube, with bolen guts.

Yeah, I'm not buying that without seeing it!

I've got a Rescomp tube here (actually, it's a POS I won't use...tuned by a big name, does nothing but nosedive, and wouldn't hold 30) and I don't care what amount of tuning, or what spring/follower/basepad, it wasn't going to hold 32. R,

I recently purchased my first open blaster. It didn't come with any mags so I bought a STI Magazine STI-2011 170mm 38 Super 28-Round new from midway.

Also got the STI-Dawson Basepad +1 for STI-2011 for it.

But I can only get 26 rounds in the mag. There is no way I can force another round in.

I should be able to get 29 rounds correct?

A stock STI 170 will only take 26 rounds of regular .38 Super with STI parts. A grams 13 coil kit and 4mm base pad will take it to 27. My Brazos tuned STi mags will take 28 with plenty of give to avoid cracking the grips or blowing a reload. I have a tuned SVI mag that uses Bolen follower and springs, a regular Dawson base pad and will hold 29. Used the Dawson competition followers for a while, but found that they cost 1 round vs.grams followers and were a real bear to change out springs.

Oh, and Derek Jancowics of MC guns. Showed me a 31+1 mag using rescomp & bolen. My 30 rounder has the follower shaved and a flat spring.

Unfortunately it has a life span of around 6 or so loadings before you need to change the spring.

Not changing the springs and continually loading it to max capacity (31 rounds) results in a bullet nose down situation.

31+1 round mags are great if a stage has all paper but all a stage designer has to do is throw in multiple steel in a 32 round course.

Edited by yoshidaex

Oh, and Derek Jancowics of MC guns. Showed me a 31+1 mag using rescomp & bolen. My 30 rounder has the follower shaved and a flat spring.

Right...31 in Supercomp/TJ is doable...sorta, since the springs die within a few uses as Yoshi mentioned. I got one of the first 31-round mags anywhere from one of the better known mag tuners, and it started to nosedive within ten loadings. Sent it back, he worked on it some more, same thing....right at 6rds which is where the double to single transition takes place. That's just too much trouble for me.

Derek is a friend, and built my newest Open gun (it rocks!) and made me a nice 30rd mag with an SV tube I sent him (Bolen spring/follower and basepad)...works great, but it's close to maxed out (has a little room in it). Still, I'm not believing 32 until I see one.

I've got several 30rd mags, one 31rd mag, and a handful of 28rd and 29rd mags. I use the 28/29rd mags most of the time, and save the 30s for when it makes a difference. The 31 hasn't left the shop in a year as I don't trust it. Put a new spring in and you can't even try it a few times and be 100% certain how long it will continue to work (since no two springs are the same). R,

Edited by G-ManBart