Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI "Big Stick" 38 super 26 rounds?

ak47traxx

STI mags with the Bolen followers and springs will roll over at the ribs, causing you a lot of problems in a match, I know, I tried just about every combination trying to get it to work.

I also see a fair number of "Quote on Quote" 31 round mags puke at major matches. I saw one shooter remove the "tuned" big stick and throw it at a major match. After the yelling, he went and retrieved it....

I will take a very reliable 28/29 round mag that runs 100% and just plan a reload. You only have to reload once and 99.99% of courses have a spot to reload. I can't remember seeing many stand and shoot 30+ round courses....

Jerry

• 5 months later...

Hello: I am going on two years with my mag springs in my 170mm SVI mags. They are Bolen followers and ISMI/Bolen springs. They took a set and have stayed that way ever since. I do remove them once and a while to clean them if they get dropped in the dirt. I do load mine to 30 rounds of 9mm if needed or I will just use my 140mm mags that hold 25 rounds. I think more people make more out of the number of rounds a mag will hold than is necessary. They think more is better. I will take reliable over maximum rounds every time. Thanks, Eric

STI mags with the Bolen followers and springs will roll over at the ribs, causing you a lot of problems in a match, I know, I tried just about every combination trying to get it to work.

I also see a fair number of "Quote on Quote" 31 round mags puke at major matches. I saw one shooter remove the "tuned" big stick and throw it at a major match. After the yelling, he went and retrieved it....

I will take a very reliable 28/29 round mag that runs 100% and just plan a reload. You only have to reload once and 99.99% of courses have a spot to reload. I can't remember seeing many stand and shoot 30+ round courses....

Jerry

This.

I've seen a lot more stages lost because of magazine problems related to trying to get that one last round in than have been won due to having an extra round.

Hello: I am going on two years with my mag springs in my 170mm SVI mags. They are Bolen followers and ISMI/Bolen springs. They took a set and have stayed that way ever since. I do remove them once and a while to clean them if they get dropped in the dirt. I do load mine to 30 rounds of 9mm if needed or I will just use my 140mm mags that hold 25 rounds. I think more people make more out of the number of rounds a mag will hold than is necessary. They think more is better. I will take reliable over maximum rounds every time. Thanks, Eric

thanks for the info. looking to pick up a tuned big stick when I go to Area 1 and I have absolutely no experience with big sticks. Since we are limited to 10 rnd mags here (Open-10), the big stick will be for when I shoot Open in bigger matches in the CONUS once or twice a year.

Since my experience is with 10 rnd mags I'm not fixated with max capacity; my priority for "match" mags is the maximum amount of rounds possible without sacrificing reliability which is paramount. Rather have a 100% working 26-28 rnd big stick than a problematic 29 round one.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are running 38 Super you will probably never get more than 28 with any combination of base pad/follower/spring.

I've got a Grams-tuned big stick that holds 29 rounds of Super...

But it's not reloadable. It gives me 29+1 if loading from the start of a stage, which I've done a couple of times where the extra round came in handy. Usually I'll just load it to 28 and reload if needed.