Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need a minor load for a shorty open gun

Pro2AInPA

I need some ideas for a minor load for a commander length open gun in 9mm. I know the direction I'm going to head with my major load, but I need a minor load for some steel matches. :cheers:

Hi,

I shot the 2010 Steel Challenge using a 95g Montana Gold HP and 4.2g Winchester Super Target. This load, out of my steel gun, gave me an average of 1135 fps with less than 10'/second deviation. Soft shooting and very accurate.

I use Zero 125 grain jhps .356 in all my 9mms, and .38 Supercomp.

My 9mm, minor load is either 4 grains of Titegroup, or, 4.2 grains of VV320.

And this is a through an open gun? What spring setup?

I don't remember what weight spring is in it. It's the same one I use for major loads. If I had to guess, I'd say a 9#.

So I have a boat load of Montana Gold 124 CMJs on hand and I'd prefer to use those for my minor load since I have them.

I tried N340 today and it seemed like there was a lot of recoil, presumably because it wasn't working the comp very well.

Any other minor powder suggestions with 124s?

Edited by Pro2AInPA

So I have a boat load of Montana Gold 124 CMJs on hand and I'd prefer to use those for my minor load since I have them.

I tried N340 today and it seemed like there was a lot of recoil, presumably because it wasn't working the comp very well.

Any other minor powder suggestions with 124s?

I think the softest will be 320, followed by Titegroup.

Hello: 95 grain Montana Golds with 8.0 grains of HS-6. Loaded to 1.110" OAL. Very soft and accurate. Thanks, Eric

ERIC brings up a good point, accuracy, shooting steel requires good accuracy, I have not had that accuracy with light loads using fast powder, and I have to say the feel itself can slow you down. Take your normal load for 125gr major, use 95 gr and it lightens up the feel and it is accurate. It may not however hit anywhere close to where your major loads hit so a dot adjustment is required.

If you are using AutoComp you can run 5.2gr w/125 or 5.6gr w/115 and this makes about 135-140pf and works pretty well, adjust for the way you want it to feel. This is what my friends with the minor steel master shoot in uspsa matches, and their splits are incredible and they even hit stuff.

My preferece is to just shoot my normal load 170pf and let the steel take the hit, the gun feels right the accuracy is there and you definately can tell when you have made the hit, when that steel lollipop is wagging like a dogs tail.

Edited by CocoBolo

Can I use 125gr bullet data for Titegroup for my 124gr bullets? Hodgdon only lists Titegroup data for 125s.

yeap, you will never notice a differance in 1gn bullet weight. you will be looking around the 4.0gn mark for titegroup. and you can adjust from there if you want to.

Hello: 95 grain Montana Golds with 8.0 grains of HS-6. Loaded to 1.110" OAL. Very soft and accurate. Thanks, Eric

ERIC brings up a good point, accuracy, shooting steel requires good accuracy, I have not had that accuracy with light loads using fast powder, and I have to say the feel itself can slow you down. Take your normal load for 125gr major, use 95 gr and it lightens up the feel and it is accurate. It may not however hit anywhere close to where your major loads hit so a dot adjustment is required.

If you are using AutoComp you can run 5.2gr w/125 or 5.6gr w/115 and this makes about 135-140pf and works pretty well, adjust for the way you want it to feel. This is what my friends with the minor steel master shoot in uspsa matches, and their splits are incredible and they even hit stuff.

My preferece is to just shoot my normal load 170pf and let the steel take the hit, the gun feels right the accuracy is there and you definately can tell when you have made the hit, when that steel lollipop is wagging like a dogs tail.

Many of the steel matches in this area require minor PF ammo.

Local shop has N340 for a great price, and the previous owner of the gun mentioned 5.7gr of N340 under a Montana Gold 124gr bullet for minor. Sound reasonable?

I used to load 4.7 gr N340 under a 125JHP Zero. Now use N320

I shoot Bear Creek 38 cal 125's with 3.6 of Titegroup in my steel gun. Schuemann Commander 9mm AET barrel, Gov slide cut down to Commander length with a Commander length recoil system and a 7lb spring.

Local shop has N340 for a great price, and the previous owner of the gun mentioned 5.7gr of N340 under a Montana Gold 124gr bullet for minor. Sound reasonable?

I used to load 4.7 gr N340 under a 125JHP Zero. Now use N320

What's your powder charge now with the N320?