Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Spartan Vs. Trojan

Micah

Well after much consideration and feedback, I decided on a 40cal Trojan. Flex and many others echoed the mantra: "Minor sucks", and I agree. In a division where major scoring is rewarded, it does not make sense to go minor...even with two extra rounds. I am sure that range reports and whatnot will be slathered on my range diary.

Much thanks to everyone that provided feedback in this thread :) The information was most useful.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My decision has moved from the Trojan to a Spartan. I'm going to go with it and put the extra money in the things I need to change on it and mags. I would end up doing those on either one and there seems to be lots who really like their Spartans...Thanks guys!

Minor doesn't suck...just hit all Alphas :))

Well after much consideration and feedback, I decided on a 40cal Trojan. Flex and many others echoed the mantra: "Minor sucks", and I agree. In a division where major scoring is rewarded, it does not make sense to go minor...even with two extra rounds. I am sure that range reports and whatnot will be slathered on my range diary.

Much thanks to everyone that provided feedback in this thread :) The information was most useful.

Cool, I think you're going to be happy. Honestly, I wish they'd release a Spartan in .40 as it would make a nice backup to my Trojan. Let me know if you're looking for a bullet sampler to see what your gun likes best. Wilson 47NX mags were the best feeding of the five or six kinds I tried. R,

Thanks guys :) I am pretty fired up about shooting an entirely new platform, but it is my expectation that the fundamentals will translate the foreign language until I learn to speak it.

I should have the Trojan back from my smith late next week. I'm changing out the hammer, extractor, ejector, and getting better ambi safeties. The magwell will be the Techwell XT. The way I see it...I would rater have this baby set up the way I want it from the beginning, instead of making changes that will potentially alter the way the gun feels after getting to know it. If I feel groovy enough about the way I can manipulate the gun before February, I'll be taking it with me to the Florida Open.

Range reports and pix will follow as they become available.

Thanks guys :) I am pretty fired up about shooting an entirely new platform, but it is my expectation that the fundamentals will translate the foreign language until I learn to speak it.

I should have the Trojan back from my smith late next week. I'm changing out the hammer, extractor, ejector, and getting better ambi safeties. The magwell will be the Techwell XT. The way I see it...I would rater have this baby set up the way I want it from the beginning, instead of making changes that will potentially alter the way the gun feels after getting to know it. If I feel groovy enough about the way I can manipulate the gun before February, I'll be taking it with me to the Florida Open.

Range reports and pix will follow as they become available.

You may find, as I did, that with the Techwell XT, even the really long basepads (like the Wilson DE pads), there still isn't enough sticking down below the magwell for 100% positive seating. I took my magwell and put it on the disc sander and shortened it up. It made all the difference in the world (and actually looked good)....probably removed .20", but I have an unaltered one to compare if you need actual numbers. R,

Edited by G-ManBart

Do you really shoot matches with your wedding ring :devil: Mine alters my grip, so I never wear it in a match.

On another note, I added extended base pads to my Wilson 47NX magazines tonight and they required quite a bit of fitting to work properly. However, the 47NX mags work very nicely with my Single Stack Infinity :cheers:

Do you really shoot matches with your wedding ring :devil: Mine alters my grip, so I never wear it in a match.

On another note, I added extended base pads to my Wilson 47NX magazines tonight and they required quite a bit of fitting to work properly. However, the 47NX mags work very nicely with my Single Stack Infinity :cheers:

I wear mine...don't even think about it, and I figure if I need to use a gun "for real", I'll have it on.

What did you have to fit on the mags? Wilson DE pads should slip right on. R,

Bart: You have never machined any of my magwells? I use a milling machine to remove material from the sides of the STI 2011 magwells and also some off the bottom to help with reloads. My 2 favourite 1911 magwells are the S&A and the Dawson no gap. The Techwell I had just did not work for me. I also like that I can change grips without machining the slots in them to fit the Techwell. I don't wear my wedding ring very much since I have seen what machines can do to fingers when the ring gets stuck :surprise: It is messy :sick: Thanks, Eric

Bart: You have never machined any of my magwells?

You're right...I was thinking of someone else in AQ....getting old I guess!

S&A...looks nice, but :sick: from a function standpoint compared with the new stuff. I had one on a gun starting around 20yrs ago...so I've got a little bit of comparison time to refer to.

Edited by G-ManBart

The ring puts marks on my guns and checkering puts marks on my ring, so I leave it behind during matches. It's not a deal breaker, but I don't care for the extra wear if I can help it.

On the Wilson extended length basepads, I had to relieve a little material from the top, to allow the magazine to fully seat. I have an SVI mag well on the pistol.

The ring puts marks on my guns and checkering puts marks on my ring, so I leave it behind during matches. It's not a deal breaker, but I don't care for the extra wear if I can help it.

On the Wilson extended length basepads, I had to relieve a little material from the top, to allow the magazine to fully seat. I have an SVI mag well on the pistol.

Heck, my guns aren't nice enough to notice new marks :lol:

Gotcha...top front of the basepad to clear the front of the magwell...makes sense now. I may have had to trim a tiny bit from the same place on mine, now that I think about it....I'll have to look at them and see if they have evidence of a little razor work. R,

Seth...the forum software should shrink down the image unless you click on it. Gman, I will take that under serious consideration. 818-I laughed my ass off :roflol:

Measured the stock and shortened Techwells I have, and I only took .100" off. R,