Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Long Shot time

TexasShootR

Wondering what I could incorporate into my practice that would help lower my shot times or split time while still hitting the A zone. Today was the first time to use a shot timer during practice and it showed my split times to be over a second.

Here's the numbers I got after 9 shots, 18 to 20 yards out using a 40 cal Glock35.

First shot after buzzer with gun holstered

Here's the split times for the next 8 shots

What gets me is I can unhulster the gun and fire it hitting the A zone in .87 (according to the timer) but it takes a little more than a second to reacquire the next shot. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Think I should have put this in the tips for improvement,Sry!

Edited by TexasShootR

Huh, that's pretty weird. I can't hit that draw, but my splits at that distance are about .35. I would say you have to be leaving the gun up and looking at the target. I was helping another shooter that had this problem, he would fire and the gun would stay elevated in his grip for some reason, then he would slowly bring it down, reacquire, and fire again. The front sight should be back in general line with the rear sight before you can release the trigger, see if you're leaving it up there for some reason.

Other than that, hard with the weak hand, soft with the strong hand. Lean forward. Lots of hand contact on the grip from the weak hand. Etc.

H.

can you video yorself doing this drill? that is a great draw time for that distance but yea, the follow up shots seem like terribly long splits. are you looking to see if the last shot was an A hit before taking the next one?

You are shooting a weaver stance, right? Trying to "control" the recoil by gripping hard with the strong hand? And, your support hand grip shifts around on you?

He's probably shooting without grip tape too, so the gun is moving in his hands and he's "regripping" after every shot. This is very common to new shooters with plastic guns.

Get some grip tape on that sucker and see what happens.

JT

Edited by JThompson

To be honest I cant recall the .87 sec draw, did I really draw that fast or did I have the gun drawn and just fired? Honestly don't remember. The thing is that was my first attemp at using the IPSC Shot Timer I bought for my iPhone. My next best time of the of the four strings recorded was 1.98 sec which is more on par.

The split time is what is troubling me. After reading your suggestions I'm thinking it's probally to weak a grip with my weak hand causing the gun not to return. I don't feel like I'm looking at the target as much as I'm keeping eyes open and looking for the front sight to return.

Going to try Burkett's drill ( thanks for the suggestion) and also a drill that BE has posted here http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=109493 next weekend, maybe take some video. Hopefully I'll have some good news!

By the way here's a shot of my .89 sec draw (well maybe not) on my iPhone. It's a ten dollars app called IPSC Shot Timer. Not bad for the price and it does a nice job. I would recommend it.

JoeShotTimer.jpg

Edited by TexasShootR

You are shooting a weaver stance, right? Trying to "control" the recoil by gripping hard with the strong hand? And, your support hand grip shifts around on you?

Flex you bring up a good point. The military teaches weaver stance (and a modified one at that) however what I used to do shooting weaver was pull the trigger the gun whould go bang i would breath and then realign the sight and listen for trigger reset. now thats what I teach others as a form of trigger control also this blocks your sight so if you see where your shot lands before you revcover from recoil then you didnt follow through properly. however you were talking about time not accuracy. But when I started to use an icsocles stance it all clicked for me personally and I can shoot much faster. Then also like Flex said with gripping and another with grip tape, look on youtube and see how max michel holds his guns. My biggest gripe with weaver is the grip they teach with it, to me it doesnt absorb recoil like what max michel uses.

• 4 weeks later...

.87 sec is certainly feasible with a speed rig, a space gun 1911 and a top hand. That's .20 second more than is feasible to do at 10 yds, and .20 sec is time enough for a top man to refine his sight picture a bit, and control the trigger a bit better, resulting in 25 yd capability.

• 2 weeks later...

Please clarify for me, are you doing splits or transitions?

I agree with the others, do a video of your splits. It seems like the sights are taking a significantly long time to settle and align properly. We had a shooter in our club who would relax his grip and regrip after every shot. He never noticed he was doing until it was mentioned. He worked pretty hard on eliminating the regrip step and his splits and second shot accuracy improved dramatically.