Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Apex Tactical Specialties R.A.M. Press Release $22.95

Shenaniguns

Apex Tactical Specialties R.A.M. Press Release $22.95

Los Osos, CA

Apex Tactical Specialties, Inc. (ATS) announces the release of the newest addition to its growing line of high quality drop-in parts for the Smith & Wesson M&P pistol line; the Reset Assist Mechanism (RAM). The RAM, which can be easily installed without the need for special tools, takes the M&P to new levels of shootability by producing a positive tactile sense of trigger reset that alerts the shooter that the trigger is past the reset point and ready to fire again.

"Improving the reset feel of the M&P trigger has been a major goal for us at Apex. The new Reset Assist Mechanism we developed gives shooters that positive, tactile feedback they look for in a trigger. This is particularly important to tactical and competition shooters who rely on a positive reset feel to help guide their trigger manipulation, especially during rapid fire situations," said Randy Lee, president of Apex Tactical Specialties and designer of the RAM.

Additionally, the patent pending design of the RAM functions as a fail-safe device in the event of a Trigger Return Spring breakage. The RAM maintains trigger bar alignment under the Sear, allowing the shooter to manually reset the trigger between shots in the event of an emergency.

"Because so many of our customers are in law enforcement, where the M&P pistol is in wide and growing use as a standard issue duty sidearm, when presented with the opportunity to engineer the RAM to provide a fail-safe in the event of return spring breakage, we jumped on it. Increasing the reliability of an already reliable pistol is a win-win no matter who you are," explained Lee.

Made in the USA from the best materials and to Apex's exacting standards, the RAM is available for Smith & Wesson M&P pistols that do not include a thumb safety and are chambered in 9mm, .40S&W or .357SIG. Models for thumb safety equipped pistols and the .45ACP models are in development.

For more information on the Reset Assist Mechanism, dealer programs or the full line of Apex parts and services, visit www.apextactical.com or call 805-528-5250.

14iftx4.jpg

Interesting. My frame plug has since gone missing. Does that mean I will have a problem?

No..... you should be fine. It's the models that have the thumb safeties and keyed safety that are of concern. Looks like all the pin does is sit within that hole with a spring that helps push the trigger bar back towards the edge of the frame. Pretty creative.

Now if they or someone would come up with something to take care of the ridiculous initial take-up without having to guess on a set screw placement........... PERFECTION.

Interesting. My frame plug has since gone missing. Does that mean I will have a problem?

No..... you should be fine. It's the models that have the thumb safeties and keyed safety that are of concern. Looks like all the pin does is sit within that hole with a spring that helps push the trigger bar back towards the edge of the frame. Pretty creative.

Now if they or someone would come up with something to take care of the ridiculous initial take-up without having to guess on a set screw placement........... PERFECTION.

Agreed. If someone could make a trigger bar with the contact points moved a little bit like they did for the XD I would LOVE IT.

Agreed. If someone could make a trigger bar with the contact points moved a little bit like they did for the XD I would LOVE IT.

+1 on that!

Wow. The RAM works really, really well. Just as advertised by APEX. So nice to have a product work perfectly. The trigger return is not a kick in the pants like a GLOCK which I find distracting, but a nice, solid click that has a similar feel as the sear tripping the firing pins. So pull on the trigger and click, the gun goes bang. Then release the trigger and click the trigger is reset. Perfect.

Make sure your trigger bar is smoothed up on the areas that the RAM exerts pressure otherwise with the lightened trigger return spring you might not get a reliable reset. I had to take a honing stone to the right side of my trigger bar where the RAM contacts because it was very rough like the edge of a broken cracker (the kind you eat with soup, not a drug addict!). Since S&W never intended the right side to contact anything, I guess they did not feel it necessary to smooth up that area. I used a fine white honing stone and smoothed it up.

My RAM did not include any instructions, not even a reference to a YouTube site. But you should be able to get information from a search on the web. Basically, take out the sear housing, put spring onto RAM, insert RAM/spring assembly into the left side of the sear assembly. The flat part of the RAM should be facing upward. Reassemble, noting that the tail of the trigger bar should easily slide into position, in the flattened part of the RAM. If it does not insert easily, rotate the RAM and slightly insert/compress the RAM to fit the trigger bar. Don't forget to reinstall the roll pin and test it out WITHOUT bullets first.

The gun is now just about perfect! Time to go shooting.

My second day and a couple hundred rounds later and I'll say that it does help while prepping the trigger after reset but is not a huge difference over the good reset I already had with my Apex installed DCAEK. Would I put one in a M&Pc that I'm buying? Absolutely!

Anyone know if this would be legal in production?

Should be OK. Here's the book:

http://www.uspsa.org/rules/2010HandgunRulesProof3web.pdf

My order from Apex was received in less than a week.

Parts dropped right in and work very well.

Fair prices, great products and great service!

I can't wait for their next new product to be released.

My wish list is a .22 conversion and a trigger bar to reduce pre-travel.

• 3 weeks later...

I have mine and yes they drop right in, almost like S&W made that hole for that purpose. Odd why S&W would not have found this out or offered this as an option. Maybe just selling guns is what they want to do?

Anyways, yes, 2 thumbs up to APEX and

YES - I want a 22 cal conversion kit like I have for my Sig. Nothing like firing a couple thousand rounds for less than a hundred bucks, all that practice with my Sig 22 really made me comfortable with the grip and trigger!

Mike

It's interesting, and I like the ability to manually reset the trigger. Having had good luck with Apex parts so far, I'm sure this will be no different.

For a purely competition gun, it's a waste of time, but lots of people will think it helps :P