Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recommendations on a quality dog grooming brush

I'm looking for recommendations from anyone doing professional dog grooming for a high quality pin brush. I have 6 long haired dogs in my house (collies and shelties) that get brushed at least once a week. I've tried every brush I can find at the big chain stores, and none of them last more than a month or two. Someone out there must make a high quality brush that can stand up to heavy use.

TIA.

Edited by sperman

I am not a pofessional dog groomer, but I have 2 long-haired dogs, & use the Furminator on them. It's amazing the hair that it pulls off, it looks like we skinned rabbit every time we brush them. Not cheap, I think I paid $50.00, they come in 3 sizes (I have the medium), but I think it will be the last brush you'll ever need, or at least for me I'm sure it will - bought at Pet Supplies Plus, if you have them in your area.

+1 on the Furminator. We have two Australian Shepherds that need done weekly and it is the tool of choice.

If you can, look into a portable grooming table - absolutely saves the back and controls the dogs better for grooming and doing their nails.

The brush I use on my clients at work is a slicker brush like the one pictured in this post. It's great at removing dead hair & undercoat (which your dogs will have a lot of!). It also has a rubber handle, which is nice. I've been grooming for about 10 years & I'm on my second one of its kind, so it lasts.

Looks like Amazon has it:

http://www.amazon.com/Miracle-Coat-Slicker-Brush-Large/dp/B000QFQFTY

The Furminator is a good tool, but its not a brush. I would use it after giving the dog a good brush out, getting out most of the bulk & any tangles or matting.

I get my tools/equipment for work from:

petedge.com

Unfortunately petedge doesn't carry the brush (I got it in Canada...but Amazon has it).

Hope that helps!

Slicker:

post-11739-047075500 1288380737_thumb.jp

I use a metal horse curry/shedding blade I picked up at the local tack shop.

It works wonders on our dogs.....looks like a buffolo just got sheared in our back yard.

We've got a St. Bernard, English Mastiff, and Golden Retreiver.

They all love it.

Curry them, shave there bellies, trim toes, and then let 'em go jump in a pond and they're in heaven.

Edited by rrflyer

The Forums never cease to amaze me. When Mr. Tucker is in full coat (he's recently been trimmed in the pic), he needs some serious brushing. I've never found a brush worth a crap. But of course there is a pro grooming expert who just happens to frequent the forums, with the solution. Click the link, and one click in amazon and I'll have it in two days. Thanks Tiny Warrior.

be

We use the slicker after the furminator (and use a smaller flea type comb for getting the backside where some things occasionally stick). And grooming scissors and a battery powered dremel for their nails. LOL, we carry almost as much gear to groom the dogs as we do for a match!.