Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Budget Build SS

STIGUY

Thinking of building a SS for the division. Please....I don't want to hear.....get this or that gun from x. Because the components are so readily available, I have decided I would like to buy these and put it together with the help of a local smith. That is what did with my AR in order to get the thing exactely the way I wanted it (except for the unibtainable Wilson 16" barrel) that I could not source.

Budget means budget....looking for a cheaper frame...and I will add the other components as budget permits. Any suggestions? I know you...

pay for what you get, but I just bought a Dillon 1050 and I am having some budgetary issues until the money from the second job starts coming in.....

Building a 1911 isn't the same as assembling an AR. There is a lot more fitting of parts required. I bet if you wen't through the Brownell's catalog, and ordered the cheapest components available you would still be close to $1000, and that doesn't include what the smith is going to charge you. You can buy a decent 1911 for less than that. If you don't want to buy a gun from X, wait until you can afford quality components and build the gun you really want. I know that isn't what you want to hear, but it's what I recommend.

Building a 1911 isn't the same as assembling an AR. There is a lot more fitting of parts required. I bet if you wen't through the Brownell's catalog, and ordered the cheapest components available you would still be close to $1000, and that doesn't include what the smith is going to charge you. You can buy a decent 1911 for less than that. If you don't want to buy a gun from X, wait until you can afford quality components and build the gun you really want. I know that isn't what you want to hear, but it's what I recommend.

I just pieced together my next build and it was 1300$ in parts. Granted it wasn't the cheapest parts I could find but the really only difference in cost will be different frame and slides. I could of probably saved a about 1-200$ by going with a foster frame/slide but I didn't want that and knew it. The small parts are so close in price I don't think it will really matter there.

If your doing it a little at a time, get what you want a little at a time and don't sacrifice anything.

Another option, and I know you said you didn't want to hear it, would be to get a STI spartan and build on it as you go. At least that way your shooting while you figure out what you want or while you save your money for the upgrades you want.

Yeah, back before Brownells discontinued carrying Essex frames and slides, I thought the same. After the Frame and slide, add Ed Brown beavertail, safties, barrel, internals, slide stop, pin kit, grips, magwell, I think I have close to if not over $1000 in it and all the parts. I picked up an Armscor 1911 at a gun show and after adding a full length guide rod and a dawson front sight and Smith and Alexander magwell, I may have maybe $550-$600 in it and it shoots just as good if not better. Granted, after reading up on the subject and watching gunsmith video's, I enjoyed building the Essex and fitting and blending everything, but unless you just want it as a project, save up and buy a factory gun and upgrade to the parts you want.

I would agree on just get a base gun and build it up as you go. The Spartan is a great base gun to start with and add parts as needed. A 1911 is a gun that requires fitting of the parts and is really building a gun. I would consider an ar15 more of a put together gun as the parts are basically drop in and don't require the fitting a 1911 takes. The 1911 is much more difficult to build than an ar is to put together. For a single stack gun a base gun is the way to go especially for a beginner on a budget. With the correct tools at hand, an AR could be assembled in under an hour. A 1911, even built by a true professional takes much longer than that.

Budget means budget.

The best bang for the buck I've found is a used gun. You can find a used 1911 already set up for racing in the classifieds here, or you can head over to gunbroker, find a lightly used example (by USPSA standard 90% of the guns out there are lightly used), and work with your local smith to set it up for racing.

My first USPSA gun was a 1911 I bought on gunbroker for $400 and had my smith give it a once over (less than $100), and it was ready to go. While it isn't nearly as nice as my current SS competition gun, it was more than adequate to start competing and is a fine backup/bedside/loaner gun. It also cost a fraction of my what my super-duper-pooper-scooper 1911 did.

All is well....I guess everyone missed the comment about the local gun smith. I guess I need another job orbto jettison the girl friend. Oh well....she bitches too much anyway......THANKS!

I think everyone is saying that since your on a budget it would be cheaper to buy a base gun and add what you want.

Hello: I would look at STI or Caspian fames. They are both made from good materials. The Caspian Race Ready is a really nice frame and you can open up the magwell so it reloads as fast as any magwell. I have made a couple single stacks now and the cost is almost the same as building a 2011 :surprise: If you want a single stack in 45 I would buy the Spartan and build it or use it like it is. If you want a 40 S&W you could make one or look for a used pistol. 40 S&W 1911's are hard to find since most guys that shoot Limited have a 40 1911 as well. For internal parts look at EGW,STI, Ed Brown, Wilson and Caspian. I would do a build sheet before you start so you don't get sticker shock and have a heart attack :roflol: Hope this helps and good luck with your project. Thanks, Eric

All is well....I guess everyone missed the comment about the local gun smith. I guess I need another job orbto jettison the girl friend. Oh well....she bitches too much anyway......THANKS!

I think everyone is saying that since your on a budget it would be cheaper to buy a base gun and add what you want.

This would be the cheapest way if you have to do it a little at a time. And no we didn't miss the part about a local smith but once you add what ever fees they are going to charge your looking at least 1200-1500. You could buy used and save or have it perfect but not cheap.

Want a real challenge? Shop for a 1911 in .40 S&W on a budget. <_<

+1 I just priced out building one and I'm up to $1200. It would be smarter to buy a new or used STI Trojan.

I thought about that but it isn't EXACTLY what I want when I did it.

I just pieced together my next build and it was 1300$ in parts. Granted it wasn't the cheapest parts I could find but the really only difference in cost will be different frame and slides. I could of probably saved a about 1-200$ by going with a foster frame/slide but I didn't want that and knew it. The small parts are so close in price I don't think it will really matter there.

So Corey what slide and frame would you buy for your build?

I don't think anybody missed that. Unless the local smith is going to work for free, it's going to add to the $1K+ you'll spend on just the parts alone. In the end, you can buy a gun that's perfectly competitive for about half of a "budget build". Figure maybe $800 total, ready to rock for a Spartan with a few tweaks. That doesn't even get you the parts to build a gun. R,

It does really depend on your budget. Rock Island Armory 1911s are under $500 new for milspec under $600 for features such as novak sights, extended beavertail. your smith could install adjustable sights and still relatively cheap and then upgrade internals as you go. Springer milspec is under $600. para and kimber come complete under $8-900 with all the right features. Gunbroker had spartans for around $600 in the past. the cheapest 1911 frame shipped and transfered is over $200, used barrels on GB are about $100 but if you have a ramped frame you will seriously narrow the chances of finding the right one for the right price. Gun shows and GB sometimes have really rough .45 slides under $100 but if you want quality slide and pre cut for sights you'll spend towards $200. Numerich and sarco sell parts kits for internals for under $100 but most smiths dont like using crap parts so you'll have to spend more than that. So even without the cost of the smith with the most bare products you could spend $600. Plus a lot of time. However if you buy a milspec gun you can part it out on this forum or on GB to recoup some funds.