Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

mossburg 930

benny hill

Anyone having luck getting a non-ported barrel recently? My efforts have come up dry.

I gave a friend the info and he emailed the supervisor listed in this thread last monday. He had a reply within 30 minutes, and a phone call within the hour to take his order.

Do you have the exact model number you ordered? It was the matte, non-ported 24" turkey barrel?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See post #12 this thread.

My link

opening the loading port forward solves two problems:

- you don't have to stick your thumb into the mag tube to catch the shell holder

- you don't have to weld the lifter.

David E.

David,

Just finished grinding the loading port on my brand new, never fired shotgun per your advice...lol.. It worked beautifully. Loads just like my Remi now (of course w/out having to hit the release button w/ each shell). Timed myself loading 4 rounds from 4 round caddies (don't have my extension yet) and was slightly faster than my best Remi load. I am a happy camper. My dremel work isn't quite as pretty as yours. But, it got the job done. Thanks again for the help.

Rob

Rob, now that you have it roughed in with the dremel go back with some files and sand paper and get it slick. You can also do some final shaping while you are there.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

So you cut your lifter rather than welded it? Your earlier post suggested that lifter welding wasn't needed, perhaps the message is that welding OR cutting is needed.

See post #12 this thread.

My link

opening the loading port forward solves two problems:

- you don't have to stick your thumb into the mag tube to catch the shell holder

- you don't have to weld the lifter.

David E.

David,

Just finished grinding the loading port on my brand new, never fired shotgun per your advice...lol.. It worked beautifully. Loads just like my Remi now (of course w/out having to hit the release button w/ each shell). Timed myself loading 4 rounds from 4 round caddies (don't have my extension yet) and was slightly faster than my best Remi load. I am a happy camper. My dremel work isn't quite as pretty as yours. But, it got the job done. Thanks again for the help.

Rob

Rob, now that you have it roughed in with the dremel go back with some files and sand paper and get it slick. You can also do some final shaping while you are there.

So you cut your lifter rather than welded it? Your earlier post suggested that lifter welding wasn't needed, perhaps the message is that welding OR cutting is needed.

It's not really cut. It's just kinda reshaped. The legs one either side are the same length. What I did was actually just filed the inside of the lifter and made it one radius instead of the steps inward from either side. And I just kinda rounded the edge so it doesn't snag if that make sense at all.

Anyone having luck getting a non-ported barrel recently? My efforts have come up dry.

I gave a friend the info and he emailed the supervisor listed in this thread last monday. He had a reply within 30 minutes, and a phone call within the hour to take his order.

Do you have the exact model number you ordered? It was the matte, non-ported 24" turkey barrel?

Emailed Joe at mossberg JZakher@maverickarms.com and he responded in less than 30 minutes with the following.

We do offer the 930 24in accu choke barrel in matte black. It will come with a choke

set and fiber optic sights $150.00 +$10.95 s/h. I have the price set up with the

choke set. 16975MTFO is the part number. At the moment we processing more as I

don't have any on hand. The two month time period is more than enough time but I

give myself time to get a size order in.

To which I responded:

Joe,

I want to place a order for this barrel. What is the number I need to call to do so.

Thanks,

Rob

And the reply:

Pass me your number and a sales rep will take care of you.

Haven't had a chance to send my info to him yet. Will do Monday.

Hey folks, do any of you who have bought a new barrel want to sell your 24 or 28 ported barrel?

Here's the story.

I took a 930 SPX off the prise table at the nationals and I'm setting it up for my daughter. She's small so an 18-20" barrel is better than the 24", every little bit helps. The ghort rings sights on the SPX barrel are cumbersom and really too high for her. I though about buying the 24" barrel but then I'm back to a longer gun like mine.

Let me know if you'd like to unload (hopefully cheap :D ) the ported barrel you have lying around to help get a junior set up

Thanks!

Edited by TMC

I ordered a barrel from mossberg, but then came across a complete 930 with 28" barrel and 18.5" for $467/ shipped.

Was going to just mod my SPX, but now I'll just mod this gun and put the SPX in the closet. :)

All the Nordic parts including gun will cost around $800, this includes having the barrel cut and threaded.

wasn't expecting these sights should have done more research.

Not sure which sights you have, some turkey models come with a single FO front and others FO front and adjustable rear. My POI is 6" high at 50 yards with slugs using just the FO front. IF you have front and rear you could remove the rear and check the POI with just the front. The front sight can also be moved from forward or back to change the POI as the rib height changes toward the end of the barrel.

David E.

Took my new 930 to the range Friday. It's the 24" Turkey model, wasn't expecting these sights should have done more research.

Was just shooting 8 through the factory Turkey choke, and damn was it shooting high at 30 feet.

One Round

IMG_1930.jpg

5 Rounds

IMG_1929.jpg

That's what I'd expect at that distance, 30 ft is only 10 yards.

You’re way off

Assuming your POI is 6" high at 30 ft (looking at your target) it would be 3 times that at 30 yds or 18" high. Take that out to 50 yds and it would be more like 26" high at 50yds.

SO 6" high at 50yds is a little different that 2 ft.

David E.

You’re way off

Assuming your POI is 6" high at 30 ft (looking at your target) it would be 3 times that at 30 yds or 18" high. Take that out to 50 yds and it would be more like 26" high at 50yds.

SO 6" high at 50yds is a little different that 2 ft.

David E.

I don't see 6 inches high, I see center of shot pattern maybe 3 inches high and that's with the xxfull turkey choke. Put a mod choke in and the pattern is likely to change.

I'm also curious as to how much vent rib he is seeing when looking down it. The more rib he sees the higher its going to shoot.

I zero slugs at 100, then figure out where the my shot is after that with the various chokes I would use.

Just did some reload drills to compare and see if I could really load the 930 faster than my 1100 with a competition master carrier. I have had over a years worth of practice with the 1100 so I am used to having to hit the bolt relase with the shell. On the intitial run I started with the 1100 with a closed bolt. I was dissappointed to find that I was considerably faster with the 1100. My next run was loading from bolt lock and again I started with the 1100. Again, I was faster w/ the 1100. But, only slightly. The next run, I started with the 930 and a closed bolt. Guess muscle memory was starting to shift towards the 930 because I was way fater than any previous runs. Next, started with the 930 again at bolt lock. And again way faster than the 1100. I was starting to see a trend and was getting happier. I went thru the drills about 30 time alternanting between starting with the 930 and the 1100. The first two runs where I started with the 1100 were the only two that 1100 was faster. All the other runs afer the first two, I was faster with the 930 and getting better with each run. By the last run, there was no doubt that I could relaod the 930 over 1.5 times faster than I could the 1100. I could definatley start see that having to cencentrate on hitting the bolt release with each shell on the 1100 was slowing me down. I just wanted to share this with any other folks that have a 1100 and are thinknng about changing to a 930. My vote is definately change.

Now to why I am really posting. I noticed that most of you are suggesting to go with the Nordic extenension over the Choate. I have a Choate 8+1 on my 870 and have never had an issue. So, is there some issue with Choate's extensions on semi-autos and are Nordics really that much better. Also, I have seen suggestions to go with a 10+1 extension as opposed to the 8+1 for lower spring tension on reloads and to allow for more rounds after the buzzer and for outlaw matches. My question here is, will a 10+1 stick out past the 24" barrel on the 930? My 8+1 sticks out about 1/2" past my 21" barrel on the 870. Doesn't hurt but, I would prefer it not to stick out past the end of the barrel.

Thanks,

Rob

Nordic +6 (10+1) 24" factory turkey barrel.

12-4-2011010.jpg

No experience with Choate.

Life is about choices. :cheers:

David E.

Thanks for the pics. From this, I think I will go with the Nordic +5 for 9+1. That should keep the extension a little shorter than the barrel.

My sights look kinda like this... except the rear is red and the front is yellow. I tried adding another magnetic yellow tube in front of the rear sight but it was well under existing rear sight.

182294.jpg

The rear is adjustable. I would have spent more time with it but I was with a friend and he just wanted to shoot.

I've got my LM coming from Midway Tuesday. I head back out after that and test again.

wasn't expecting these sights should have done more research.

Not sure which sights you have, some turkey models come with a single FO front and others FO front and adjustable rear. My POI is 6" high at 50 yards with slugs using just the FO front. IF you have front and rear you could remove the rear and check the POI with just the front. The front sight can also be moved from forward or back to change the POI as the rib height changes toward the end of the barrel.

David E.

Mine shoots about 6-8" high as well at 50 yds. David, did removing the rear sight bring you down more to where you were consistently at about 6" high at 50 yds.

Do most people just compensate for the high impact using the 930 with the 24" turkey barrel. I believe Benny commented that he adjusts the barrel for POA/POI. I wonder if he just uses a different front sight or does he move the front sight back and forth along the barrel accordingly.

Do you have any drop in your stock? If no, try putting the shims in the stock to give it the max drop and reshoot and see what happens.

I think what is happening is people are bringing their head down to the gun for cheek weld instead of bringing the gun up to get cheek weld.

Do you have any drop in your stock? If no, try putting the shims in the stock to give it the max drop and reshoot and see what happens.

I think what is happening is people are bringing their head down to the gun for cheek weld instead of bringing the gun up to get cheek weld.

Good tip. I've got a 930 SPX and I forgot I messed with the drop with the shims to work better with the ghost ring sights.

...I believe Benny commented that he adjusts the barrel for POA/POI. I wonder if he just uses a different front sight or does he move the front sight back and forth along the barrel accordingly.

Somewhere in this monstrosity of a thread, Benny notes that he bends the barrel to correct POI, at least some of the time.

...I believe Benny commented that he adjusts the barrel for POA/POI. I wonder if he just uses a different front sight or does he move the front sight back and forth along the barrel accordingly.

Somewhere in this monstrosity of a thread, Benny notes that he bends the barrel to correct POI, at least some of the time.

Don't know if I'd like the barrel altered because it groups surprisingly well for a shotgun barrel. I'm still leaning towards removing the rear sight.

Mine shoots about 6-8" high as well at 50 yds. David, did removing the rear sight bring you down more to where you were consistently at about 6" high at 50 yds.

Do most people just compensate for the high impact using the 930 with the 24" turkey barrel. I believe Benny commented that he adjusts the barrel for POA/POI. I wonder if he just uses a different front sight or does he move the front sight back and forth along the barrel accordingly.

I installed the largest shim to get the most stock drop. While this may help when shooting bird shot fast it made no difference in my slug POI as I always use the same sight picture; no visible rib with FO bead right on top.

Yes, Benny talks about bending the barrel for POI. I think many strive to have POA=POI at 100 yds and a few inches high at 50yds to cope with most 3 gun situations.

Shooting slugs still punishes my cheek.

David E.

IIRC he also mentions moving the clamp to adjust the POA/POI.

Shooting slugs still punishes my cheek.

What are you shooting for slugs? I picked up a case of B&P and they run in my 930 so far and feel as soft as birdshot. Haven't shot them for groups at distance yet as I only tested function on the pistol range while there for something else.

If the slugs are pounding your cheek your length of pull may be too short! I don't shoot the 930 but I added a kick ezee 3/4" and the stars shined brighter! no more cheek hurt. A good fit shotgun is pleasant to shoot one that's too short is going to work you over dude and your POI will change. Later,

Kirk

I run Federal Low recoil slugs. I don't think my LOP is too short, I run an A1 stock on my AR.

The recoil was never an issue when I ran the williams universal slug sights as they kept my head/eyes off the stock. They were great for slugs but slower on everything else.

I never read moving the clamp affected POI.

I shoot so few slugs that for now I'm going to live with it.

Maybe I'll have a real "shotgun" guy look at my current fit and go from there.

David E.