Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which twist rate 16/24/32 for 9 Major Open

CocoBolo

Getting ready to roll the last of my 38S guns to 9 major. Its my only Bull barrel gun and I'm looking at getting a Schuemann threaded bull barrel but since they come in different flavors of twist which twist rate would work for a 9 major open gun shooitng 124gr bullets at @1378 fps?

The 32 twist rate seems to be in stock and I'm just wondering if this is because no body wants one?

Edited by CocoBolo

Getting ready to roll the last of my 38S guns to 9 major. Its my only Bull barrel gun and I'm looking at getting a Schuemann threaded bull barrel but since they come in different flavors of twist which twist rate would work for a 9 major open gun shooitng 124gr bullets at @1378 fps?

The 32 twist rate seems to be in stock and I'm just wondering if this is because no body wants one?

Get the AET (1/24 twist). With good bullets it will be more accurate. They don't tolerate plated or junk bullets very well, but that's about the only downside.

Where did you look to check if they were in stock? I know you can get them from Chuck at SC, Brownells, Schuemann's website, and several others. If they don't have the version you want in stock, Mike can probably crank one out for you very quickly. R,

Get the AET (1/24 twist). With good bullets it will be more accurate. They don't tolerate plated or junk bullets very well, but that's about the only downside.

Where did you look to check if they were in stock? I know you can get them from Chuck at SC, Brownells, Schuemann's website, and several others. If they don't have the version you want in stock, Mike can probably crank one out for you very quickly. R,

+1. AET barrels are surprisingly accurate. In my experience shooting 124 gr MGB, it groups better side-by-side against non AET barrels.

Ron: Get the 1/32 twist if you are going to shoot lighter bullets. The 1/32 is great with the 125 grain and lighter bullets. If you are going to shoot 125-147 grain bullets get the 1/24 or 1/16 twist. My shorty 9mm has a 1/32 twist barrel and I shoot 115's. It is very accurate, scary accurate for me so I can't blame the pistol. The next open 9mm will be a 1/32 twist but a 5" one. Thanks, Eric

I talked to Mike last week and he stated that he was at least a month out on just catching up on back orders. So far the 32" twist is leading the pack on votes of confidence. I know that 115's shot from a 16" twist don't appear to be very accurate so right now I'm leaning towards the 32" or 24" and am not considering the AET, I think the Ultimatch should do the trick with out the brass issues. ShootersConnection has the 32, and Speed Shooters has the 16, and Brownells also has it for Retail + $75.00.

The 24 could well be the best compromise since its not a commintment either way, politically correct?

AET barrels spit out unusable brass, though this problem is more common in short guns (and irrelevant if you don't pick up your 9s). Get the 32, IMO.

Could you explain that in detail-the spitting brass? I'm not sure I understand or experienced it in my gun.

As for 32 inch twist, you are right about it.

It's traditionally better than 16 inch twist. Mr. Schuemann did say 24 inch twist as the optimum twist.

Mr. Schuemann explained it in this doc: http://www.schuemann.com/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=N0S0LsAu1RQ%3d&tabid=67&mid=445

Personally, I don't think I can shoot as good as my barrel. Give me 32 or 24 inch twist and I'll try to shoot it as accurate as I can. ;)

AET barrels spit out unusable brass, though this problem is more common in short guns (and irrelevant if you don't pick up your 9s). Get the 32, IMO.

Could you explain that in detail-the spitting brass? I'm not sure I understand or experienced it in my gun.

It's traditionally better than 16 inch twist. Mr. Schuemann did say 24 inch twist as the optimum twist.

Mr. Schuemann explained it in this doc: http://www.schuemann...abid=67&mid=445

Personally, I don't think I can shoot as good as my barrel. Give me 32 or 24 inch twist and I'll try to shoot it as accurate as I can. ;)

Edwin - I can't speak from any direct expierence, however a couple guys I shoot with have had the AET barrels in 38 Super and they whinned about a few things with their brass being buldge and having spiral lines in it etc. I'm going with the Standard Match Accuracy barrel which I think will be plenty too good for this lowly C class shooter. After all when I get in touch with my wild side and I go fast I can put a 1/2" group of 3 shots in a No Shoot at 1 yard in under 1/2 second. The Comp is coming from Dawson their DP#2, 4 port, I already have two of these and they work great, Dave supports the sport and I used the certificate I won at the nationals to purchase the comp. Thanks Dawson Precision.

The guys that Whinned with brass problems in the AET either got another gun or another barrel and they are still having issues with breech faces, brass etc. So I wouldn't put much weight on the AET as being the issue.

Mr. Schuemann explained it in this doc: http://www.schuemann...abid=67&mid=445

Edwin - I can't speak from any direct expierence, however a couple guys I shoot with have had the AET barrels in 38 Super and they whinned about a few things with their brass being buldge and having spiral lines in it etc. I'm going with the Standard Match Accuracy barrel which I think will be plenty too good for this lowly C class shooter. After all when I get in touch with my wild side and I go fast I can put a 1/2" group of 3 shots in a No Shoot at 1 yard in under 1/2 second. The Comp is coming from Dawson their DP#2, 4 port, I already have two of these and they work great, Dave supports the sport and I used the certificate I won at the nationals to purchase the comp. Thanks Dawson Precision.

The guys that Whinned with brass problems in the AET either got another gun or another barrel and they are still having issues with breech faces, brass etc. So I wouldn't put much weight on the AET as being the issue.

OK. Now that you mentioned the extra bulge, I seem to remember it does look a bit bulgy at the bottom end of the 38 Super brass. But I use SuperComp and use casePro ;)

DP makes good comps and he definitely supports the sport.

The spiral lines don't bother me as they're actually helpful in sorting brass.

Good luck with your project, keep us updated and hope to shoot with you soon!

Edwin

Ron: Get the 1/32 twist if you are going to shoot lighter bullets. The 1/32 is great with the 125 grain and lighter bullets. If you are going to shoot 125-147 grain bullets get the 1/24 or 1/16 twist. My shorty 9mm has a 1/32 twist barrel and I shoot 115's. It is very accurate, scary accurate for me so I can't blame the pistol. The next open 9mm will be a 1/32 twist but a 5" one. Thanks, Eric

You're way over thinking that one. My newest Open gun has an AET barrel in it and I only shoot 115gr bullets. Yesterday I was shooting some groups after zeroing (replaced the scope), and put five rounds into one hole that I covered with one paster at 20-21yds. I did that several times, then shot a couple of ten shot groups that weren't much bigger (well under an inch, outside edge to outside edge). 1/24 works beautifully with 115gr bullets as far back as 50yds (farthest I've shot groups with it).

The 1/24 works so well that over time Schuemann says they're going to slowly stop making 1/16 and 1/32 barrels. My wife and I are having dinner with Mike tonight if anybody wants a specific question answered. R

Yeah, something else had to be going on there. I've shot one batch of brass well over ten times before I forced myself to put them in the scrap bin....no marks on the cases, no splits, etc. In fact, you can't always even see any trace left by the fluting. It's the same for both .38 Super/SC and .40 barrels in my experience. Right now I've got Open guns with Bar-Sto, KKM, Nowlin and Schuemann barrels and they all leave virtually identical looking cases...all have a tiny bit of bulge at the bottom, but not enough to even need something like a U-die or Case Pro.

Mike is generous enough to provide me with barrels, but even if I was paying out of my pocket, I'd opt for the AET every day of the week. Why? Beyond accuracy, they're also better about extraction, as well. Identical guns with the same weight slide, springs, comps etc, one with a standard barrel and the other with an AET barrel and the AET barreled gun will throw the cases 2-4ft farther. I'll take more positive extraction, at no cost in playing with springs, loads etc, every day of the week! The accuracy is just icing on the cake. For a 9 Major gun, extraction is almost always the #1 critical factor to get right. Even with a sideways mount, more positive, consistent extraction is beneficial. R,

Chris: When you see Mike would you thank him for the buckets of beers he bought Jordan,Brett and me :cheers: He is a great guy and very interesting to talk to. I felt like I was in school again :bow: Also I hope his eye is better. It looked pretty bad the last time I saw it. Thanks, Eric Davis

Tell him that when he talks to the guy from Kansas city about Open Bianchi gun barrels that he should talk him into 1:24 twist. :ph34r::goof:

He's having about 4-5 of them built (one is mine :wub: ) and Im trying to get him into the slower twist.

Chris: When you see Mike would you thank him for the buckets of beers he bought Jordan,Brett and me :cheers: He is a great guy and very interesting to talk to. I felt like I was in school again :bow: Also I hope his eye is better. It looked pretty bad the last time I saw it. Thanks, Eric Davis

Eric - You could have called me and I could have come over and helped you guys drink some of that beer. Yes Mike was very helpful when I talked to him last week about a barrel. Unfortunately like a good restraunt there is a wait. But I do have a Schuemann on the way.

It will be interesting to test this Bull Barrel Major 9 with DP#2 Comp against the two nearly Identical Cone Comped 9 major guns also Running the DP#2 comp. That will be the base line for a test against the Brazos ThunderComp 3 (a 4 port design), I also have a couple of the 3 port SX2 comps, that will probably be headed for the classifieds.. It seems that most people like the bull barrel or appear to since they have one, I prefer the Cone Comped guns, but then I've never had a exact clone to compare the 2.

I will have to figure out some way to compare the accuracy of the guns/barrels. I'm not convinced that the bull is any more accurate, just heavier.

Edited by CocoBolo

Huh? I shot over 80k out of my old Commander AET barrel with zero brass problems. I would still be shooting it if I had not cracked the slide.

Too late to thank him, but his eye looked fine...although he told me about the problems he encountered. Sheesh, these people that haven't lived in the desert before :D

Chris: That is great that his eye is better. It looked like he poured Draino in it :surprise: It was very red and looked like it hurt. That fine dust in Vegas is pretty bad when you add a 30 mph wind. The big sand we have out here just blasts your skin off when it blows at 80 mph. But you know that already :roflol: Thanks, Eric

G-Man is spot on. When I decided to rebuild my Major 9mm top end STI with the help of Gans Enterprises earlier this year, I spoke to Mike at Schuemann and he recommended his AET barrels with the 1/24 twist. Mike said it's a nice compromise for shooting both 115 and 124 grain bullets compared to the 1/16 and 1/32 twist barrels. He also said the AET chambers are fluted, which helps aid in extraction. This is extra insurance for Major 9mm pistols as they can be more finicky with extraction than 38 Super/Supercomp. Bottom line is to go with a 9mm AET barrel with a 1/24 twist.

You're way over thinking that one. My newest Open gun has an AET barrel in it and I only shoot 115gr bullets. Yesterday I was shooting some groups after zeroing (replaced the scope), and put five rounds into one hole that I covered with one paster at 20-21yds. I did that several times, then shot a couple of ten shot groups that weren't much bigger (well under an inch, outside edge to outside edge). 1/24 works beautifully with 115gr bullets as far back as 50yds (farthest I've shot groups with it).

The 1/24 works so well that over time Schuemann says they're going to slowly stop making 1/16 and 1/32 barrels. My wife and I are having dinner with Mike tonight if anybody wants a specific question answered. R

A friend has a Bedell shorty that got a new top-end built with an AET barrel, and brass comes out so bulged it would have to be roll-sized to make it usable again (and I don't think you even CAN roll-size 9mm since it's tapered). He called Wil Schuemann who said it's a common complaint but didn't seem to see an actual problem with the situation. I know it's a sample size of 1 but after seeing that I wouldn't use an AET.

A friend has a Bedell shorty that got a new top-end built with an AET barrel, and brass comes out so bulged it would have to be roll-sized to make it usable again (and I don't think you even CAN roll-size 9mm since it's tapered). He called Wil Schuemann who said it's a common complaint but didn't seem to see an actual problem with the situation. I know it's a sample size of 1 but after seeing that I wouldn't use an AET.

Something isn't right there, and it sounds like an extremely hot load. Was it a fully circular bulge, just on one side, or something different? Matt2Race (I think) was having a problem with 9 Major bulging brass something terrible (don't recall the barrel brand) until he found that he was running waaaay over pressure. I can't recall if he found that the charge had increased, or saw much higher numbers on the chrono, but it was definitely a load problem that he managed to fix. Wil hasn't been there for a while now...how long ago was this? I can't see any difference between the brass that comes out of my gun with an AET and the gun that has a KKM barrel in it...they look identical, and the same is true for my .40 guns (one AET and one STI barrel). R,

Edit to add: You can definitely Case-Pro 9mm cases.

Edited by G-ManBart

Well my new 32 twist barrel has arrived, just waiting on the Comp and got the ship notice last night on it, should be here tomorrow. When it all put together I will do a range test on it with 124gr and 115gr Zeros.

Something isn't right there, and it sounds like an extremely hot load. Was it a fully circular bulge, just on one side, or something different? Matt2Race (I think) was having a problem with 9 Major bulging brass something terrible (don't recall the barrel brand) until he found that he was running waaaay over pressure. I can't recall if he found that the charge had increased, or saw much higher numbers on the chrono, but it was definitely a load problem that he managed to fix. Wil hasn't been there for a while now...how long ago was this? I can't see any difference between the brass that comes out of my gun with an AET and the gun that has a KKM barrel in it...they look identical, and the same is true for my .40 guns (one AET and one STI barrel). R,

Edit to add: You can definitely Case-Pro 9mm cases.

Bart,

This is something that Shueman seems to be doing on the AET barrel recently. They have a fairly large tapered lead-in into the chamber. I installed a TriBryd, or whatever it's called for a 3 gun shooter. The brass looked like tiny .458 Win Mag brass, straight, with a belt. I thought the darn thing was a "Setup" part, that got through inspection.

Hello: I have a 1/32 twist Schuemann barrel coming from Shooters Connection this week. It will be my test barrel for a couple of different comps using 115 grain JHP Montana Gold bullets. I have 2 comps already to try and will be trying 2 more as well. That should give me a good base line as to which one works the best for me. Thanks, Eric

I'm in the same boat as Coco Bolo. Getting a new gun built is 38SC. I use the 121 IFPs. I'm leaning towards an AET but some of the comments on here give me pause. If not an AET 24, then a 32" twist?

Hello: Yes, use the 1/32 twist for the 121's. I used them for a while and they are very accurate in my shorty 9mm but I just like the feel of the 115's better and it shoots flatter/softer for me. Working up a load is part of the fun for open and I have almost found the perfect one for me. That may all change when I get my 5" 9mm open pistol built. Thanks, Eric