Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do you carry and store all your gear?

WoodyTX

I've reached the point where one range bag won't do it all. This is not necessarily a bad thing. B)

I'm tempted to build a 'rifle range bag' and a 'pistol range bag', but one more type of pistol and I'm back to square one.

Another option is to 'go modular' with individual pistol and rifle bags (each holding just the weapon and its magazines), and use one range bag for universal accessories (tools, cleaning stuff, eyes/ears, etc). One simple bag would carry all the pistol bags. Ammo will probably be carried in hard cases, segregated by rifle/pistol.

Anyone care to share feedback on this? I'd like to keep it as simple as possible, even if that means $500 worth of bags in my near future. :(

Thanks in advance,

Woody

If you don't mind looking a bit "tactical", a molle style backpack can be a good choice because you can add or remove outer "compartments" as you need more or less gear. And there are molle style rifle bags that can have pouches attached or removed.

And, yes, a separate lockable container for ammo is always a good thing to have.

I use a burlap sack that you can get from any feed store. I use a freebee gun case just to protect my CZ 75 which I put inside the sack. That and a little rope will get the job done. No need to waste money on expensive range bags. I rather put my money in my guns and ammo.

I have two bags. I keep stuff I "might" need in one bag and leave it in the truck. The other bag is stuff I use at every match. I carry that with me.

BUT, I also see a wagon in my future for bigger matches. Bag, chair, cooler,..... It adds up.

i have one ofthe bigger bags from green mountain??? not cheap, but you can, or at least i can, get sooo much stuff in it its a bear to pick up, then i won a smaller bag for our yr end awards and have been swapping back an forth between the two....3-gun baby strollers are getting popular out here especially in the summer to carry all the gear plus sun shades and chairs....

When starting to acquire gear, I noticed any bag with a gun company logo inflated the cost four or 5 times. I picked up a Stanley tool bag for twenty bucks at wal-mart for uspsa matches and going to the range. Works great and it has a hard plastic bottom so it stays dry and upright. It also has a few compartments for storage and handy pockets.

I won a large shooters connection bag a couple of times, and that is what I use. Good quality too!

I use one for my flight bag also.

This reminds me. Do not try and fly with sack. You must put it inside of a taped up box. Airlines do not take the same care as I do. They dumped all of my gear all over the moving belt. I was very upset. It is always a pain to fly with my guns.

I won a large shooters connection bag a couple of times, and that is what I use. Good quality too!

I use one for my flight bag also.

This reminds me. Do not try and fly with sack. You must put it inside of a taped up box. Airlines do not take the same care as I do. They dumped all of my gear all over the moving belt. I was very upset. It is always a pain to fly with my guns.

Not on my airplane, we fill the back seat with the guns and ammo, then throw all of our clothes in the cargo hold.

I have never flown commercial, probably never will.

Everything I need for even a major match (back up gun, spare ammo, extra parts, emergency supplies) will fit into a SC pro bag plus the stage bag off my old big SC bags.

Most everything stays in my car, which is almost always withing a short walk of where I'm shooting. I put on my gear at the car, gun up in the safety area, and just carry the stage bag for the ammo I'll need, water, snacks, scoresheets and other essential items.

I'm getting too old to lug all that stuff around stage to stage, and still have energy through a long day to shoot well.

BUT, I also see a wagon in my future for bigger matches. Bag, chair, cooler,..... It adds up.

I am a pack rat, and like to have and not need, than need and not have. I also seem to forget less things from the last stage when I just toss it in my wagon.

45108_1528639987132_1568682177_1338472_5177464_n.jpg

drinks...

45693_1528650747401_1568682177_1338621_164566_n.jpg

and when I need to pack it up, it folds up in my trunk...

46002_1528647947331_1568682177_1338620_7704627_n.jpg

And when it rains...

45738_1528705308765_1568682177_1338892_5608207_n.jpg

Was it on blue-light special? I haven't been into a Kmart in forever, maybe Wallies has them, or Target? What's the real intended use model, a cooler hauler?

Edited by jid2

^^^ Sweet wagon, where did that come from?

I bought mine on sale from Kmart for $59.95.

If you don't have a Kmart around you, Gander Mountain, Cabela's and Brownells all carry them for a little more. Sears Roebuck also sells them. They're called the MAC foldable wagon.

Was it on blue-light special? I haven't been into a Kmart in forever, maybe Wallies has them, or Target? What's the real intended use model, a cooler hauler?

Just a general foldable cart, probably to do stuff like this...

65943_1602667277768_1568682177_1508439_1947735_n.jpg

In the image of the cart, it was hauling stuff out to the beach. It has a load capacity of up to 150 lbs, but hauled around over 60lbs of pumpkins and my pumpkin around quite easily. :-)

One of my teammates showed up at a match with one and I fell in love with it that day and had to have one. It was a long all day IDPA match, and he looked pretty fresh throughout the day. They also come in OD Green.

I bought it there because it was close to a club I was shooting at and I could pick it up. Target has them on line, Brownell's is out of stock and I think Sears has them on line.

hmmmn...I wonder how well that ^^^ cart could be converted over to carry a 3 gun rifle and shotgun.

A friend of mine has the Lowe's garden cart:

05062.jpg

At the pistol matches, it will carry his big Shooter's Connection bag, his dad's range bag, and my range bag, and a cooler. He also outfitted it with an umbrella too.

Me? I bought a baby jogger off of Craig's List and converted it with ATV gun racks.

Wagon from Northern Tool, boat seat from Overtons. One bag fits on wagon, one in the metal rack. I use it at major matches where sometimes it's great to be able to sit down while everyone else is taping and resetting targets. :lol: Just kidding, but it is nice to have a place to set suff or just sit down and reload your mags. The box under the wagon is not a motor, however I have been told countless times, "that thing just needs a motor." The box is just a storage compartement but works great for ammo.

If you really want bling, they have a dually version but I thought that was a little over the top.

The mud on the tires was collected from The Double Tap Ranch were the first time I will have shot there when it's not raining, snowing, sleeting etc. will be June of 2011! :excl:

ShootingWagon.jpg

For most matches I use a CED backpack. Big enough for a gun bag, 200 rounds, 5 mags/10 SS mags, comes with a water bottle and little seat. Big enough for what you should need for a local match, but not too big that you put too much in.

For larger uspsa and 3 gun matches, I just got a jogging stroller off of Craigslist. The kind with the oversize tires, and it folds to a more compact size. I am going to do a little "work" on it to make it look like the rugger gear carts for shotgun and rifle. I will be able to have a cooler and ammo/gear. Got it for $25, figured with about 30 to 50 more it should be just what I need until I see someone else's cool cart.

Matt