Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

shooting 2 divisions @ the same match

Mat Price

any one shoot two division at the same match? I would like to shoot both limited and production using my glock 35 custom and production using my glock 17. Is this generally acceptable? do others your squading with seem to mind that your shooting twice on the same stages?

Mat

It's generally not done/allowed. Many clubs will allow you to shoot the classifier with a second gun, but not normally the whole match. Part of that is that it's really not fair to everyone else in your second division, because you've already shot the stage one. Granted, there are differences with where you reload (or can be), but what if someone shot L-10 with one gun, and Production with the other...there's really no difference in how you'd shoot the stage, and you have an advantage over everyone else. R,

6.2.4 Subject to the prior approval of the Match Director, a competitor may enter a match in more than one Division. However, the competitor may compete for match score in only one Division, and that must be the first attempt in all cases. Any subsequent attempts in another Division will not count for match recognition.

6.2.4.1 Level I matches may allow competitors to enter multiple Divisions for match recognition.

I've seen it done around here a few times. As long as it doesn't slow the match down, I don't see it being a big deal.

Fairly common here. A number of shooters drive a good ways to shoot, and want to maximize their shooting, so they shoot 2, sometimes 3 times depending on the volume of shooters. Only one counts for score, the rest for fun.

It's also a good training tool. Shoot a COF one way, try a different way the 2nd time to see what may work better for you.

Shooters are picking and choosing more, and they may shoot fewer matches but more times at that match.

Edited by vluc

Fairly common here. A number of shooters drive a good ways to shoot, and want to maximize their shooting, so they shoot 2, sometimes 3 times depending on the volume of shooters. Only one counts for score, the rest for fun.

Wish I lived in Western PA. That sounds like a LOT of fun.

It's common at a couple of the clubs I shoot, but rather than shoot both guns back to back, we simply run the match twice with people opting to either run a 2nd gun or a reshoot with the same gun.

Edited by bbbean

I am part of group of guys that usually travel 1 to 1 1/2 hours to shoot a local match. We always shoot 2 guns (I shoot production and L-10). Most matches count both guns while one match only counts the first gun put shows where the 2nd gun placed in the standings. It only makes sense if you are traveling that to make the most of you time and get as much practice as possible.

I've shot a few matches where a few people shot both production and L-10 with the same gun and gear. No biggie, I didn't mind, and it didn't slow the match down any. Now if someone were having to switch their gear for each run I might have a problem with it. How are you gonna paste and reset if your busy changing out your gear after each run?

usually you can declare a dvision for the match and for score. then for like $5 extra, you can reshoot the classifier in a 2nd division. best bet is to ask the people at the signup table. they'll know ;)

For those that shoot two guns in a match. Do you usually get charged 2 match fees? Or some other additional charge?

I would love to at least shoot classifiers with 2 guns

Most clubs in TN will have an initial "regular" fee and then a reduced fee based on whether the second run is for score or "fun."

For those that shoot two guns in a match. Do you usually get charged 2 match fees? Or some other additional charge?

1st gun $10-15, 2nd gun $3-5 depending on the club.

Edited by bbbean

Usually first gun $15, second gun $10. Some clubs offer club member discount on top of that as well as lunch.

So for $25 I get to shoot 10 stages, 200+ rounds. LOL, more rounds and stages than at many section championship matches, which may be why some people never shoot section championship matches!

Edited by vluc

I would love to at least shoot classifiers with 2 guns

All the places I've been that allow you to shoot the classifier with a second gun charge somewhere between $3 and $5...which covers their cost of sending the score to USPSA. R,

We do a second round, usually only four of five shooter, these scores are scored second round and don't count with the first division. More or less just getting some trigger time in another division.

On local IDPA matches we do a reentry after lunch and about half will shoot over. These are scored with the first match but marked reentry.

Steel Challenge will also have a second round with most shooting another division. Again about half will re shoot.

I have no problem with it as long as you do it after you complete the match with the first gun.

I don't think it's fair to the rest of the squad to have to tape and reset twice for you.

Our shoots are usually full so about 11(avg) per squad so it takes quite a while to get thru the match.

I like to shoot as much as the next guy but I don't want to spend all day at a local match.

Mildot

Exactly the way we do it. Shoot your first five stages, change gear, pay up, then get in line behind the next squad and do it again.

Do you guys use open squadding?

We try to get shooters to group into manageable size squads but found it did not work as well as we would have liked (save for Gem City). Most clubs have shooters show up, sign in, then go out and shoot - some squads are 2-3 people, others are 7, just depends on the time they get there.