Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New XL650 - My First 1,000 Round Report

I do now believe I will be shooting more - I went to the range last night and burned more ammo than I have in a LONG time - because I knew I could replace it.

So, I received my new XL a couple of weeks ago. I have it set up on a portable bench by Shop Fox. I'm waiting on some metal work for a post I can bolt to the floor. Still, it is sturdy.

I've clipped the detent spring and added the thrust bearing. I've threaded the toolheads for the UniqueTek clamp kit, easy to do and seems to hold everything just so. I've added the UniqueTek micrometer to the powder measure.

I'm set up for .38 and .357 with Dillon dies and the Hornady powder cop. Most of the loads are JHP's or Berry's. Powder is HP-38 or Hodgdon Clays.

My observations so far:

(1) This press is easy to set up. I'm reasonably mechanically inclined, but, it isn't that big of a deal at all. I had expected much worse based on my readings on the internet. I've now taken it completely apart and learned it inside and out and I like it.

(2) It is possible to get a case out of the case feeder upside down. Oops.

(3) Charge weights seem very consistent using the small bar at the levels I'm using. I was also worried about that, too, but it seems to be a non-issue.

(4) I love the Hornady Powder Cop. Inexpensive, simple to set up, and, right in front of your face. White ring at the top of the recess or no go.

(5) On my plated bullets, I'm using a very, very light roll crimp. I know the dies are supposed to taper before they roll, but, I couldn't really measure it. Not tight enough. I had quite a bit of inconsistency at the range until I strengthened the crimp. I may try my Redding taper crimp die (it is chamfered for progressive press use).

(6) Two problems that kept cropping up I haven't really solved. The first is the case does not consistently slide far enough into Station 1. I'll be unable to operate the ram and I just reach through and seat the case. The adjustment of the cam rod is correct, but, it just doesn't happen. Maybe some polishing? The second problem is inconsistent priming. No primer, or, failure to decap, and a few primers askew. Not consistently, though. I'm checking to make sure I don't short stroke and that I seat properly. I suppose I should check the end of the decap pin. There isn't much feel to these small primers in the .38 cases. I'm very lucky Clays is so large - it doesn't end up everywhere when there's no primer. I got very good when I saw primers in the chute to expect a case with a primer problem and get it out before seating. I took out the priming system and everything looks ok. I have a spare, I may try it just for the heck of it.

(7) Caliber changes are easier than I thought they would be. Fairly easy and straightforward. The number of steps in the manual make it seem worse than it actually is.

(8) Bonehead move: Filled the primer magazine with primers, neglected the sensing rod. Humming along until I noticed the lack of a primer in an ejected round. I got the opportunity to take apart 25 rounds as my reward for that.

Overall, I'm pleased with my purchase. I can crank out quality ammunition faster than on my Redding turret and the only thing I appear to be giving up is a variation in OAL, and I'll work on that with the Dillon. I was concerned I might have bought "too much" press, but, it is quite manageable.

I was having some issues with spent primers not getting pushed out by the pin. Then with some advice from Dillon, i minimally filed the depriming pin and the problem went away. The primers were getting stuck on the pin and not falling away. Have fun reloading and wear your eyewear!

flg8r

For the case inssertion issue, be sure you have a primed case in station two when adjusting the long black rod for how far the plunger pushes the case into the shellplate. The forward stop for handle movement is the primer seating punch resting against the primer- if no primed case is in station two, the handle goes further forward than it will when progressively loading. A fired case with a spent primer is fine.

For priming, it sounds like you are on the right track- break the square edges on the decap pin, and make sure the spring-loaded finger that keeps the case from coming out of the shellplate at station two is almost touching the side of the casse. It serves to prevent the case from coming out of the shellplate, but should not touch the casse. A gap of .002"-.003" is fine.

For the case inssertion issue, be sure you have a primed case in station two when adjusting the long black rod for how far the plunger pushes the case into the shellplate. The forward stop for handle movement is the primer seating punch resting against the primer- if no primed case is in station two, the handle goes further forward than it will when progressively loading. A fired case with a spent primer is fine.

I've been loading with my 650's for 15+ years and never knew this, but then I've never had this problem. This is one for the memory banks.

Pat

For priming, it sounds like you are on the right track- break the square edges on the decap pin, and make sure the spring-loaded finger that keeps the case from coming out of the shellplate at station two is almost touching the side of the casse. It serves to prevent the case from coming out of the shellplate, but should not touch the casse. A gap of .002"-.003" is fine.

I checked this morning and readjusted the cam rod. I do believe it was incorrect by just a little, and, I missed the step in the manual to put a case in stations one AND two. I'll load some more tonight and check it out. Thank you.

I do have a question, though. Everyone is told to round off the decap pin - why aren't they made that way?

Thanks again for your advice.

I also just set up my xl and love it. I bought it set up for 38 sc and runs like a champ. I bought the xl video also to make sure I set it up correctly. If you did not get the video I would recommend getting it. It will make things a lot easyer over time and when you go to change the tool head out for another cal. I loaded my first 100 this morning in about 5 min. Like he said I will be shooting a lot more now that I can load a lot more in a shorter time. I also have the case feeder.

" and a few primers askew "

The biggest culprit of this is the press not being solidly mounted or the the bench not heavy enough. A rock solid mount on a rock solid bench cannot be over-emphasized enough!

" and a few primers askew "

The biggest culprit of this is the press not being solidly mounted or the the bench not heavy enough. A rock solid mount on a rock solid bench cannot be over-emphasized enough!

I'll second that. Every aspect of the machine works more reliably with a rock solid bench and mount set up. And that's true for all their presses.

be