Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm and CasePro

S-Hurt

My CasePro rolls the 9mm brass back to factory specs before I send it into my reloader. It's great! I don't have any problems with my reloads having buldged brass at the bottom of the case. I guess one reason I don't have any problems is because I send them through the CasePro two (2) times before reloading. I'm shooting a little more and find sending the brass through twice is very time consuming since we are talking around 13,000 pieces. Question: Do you think it's necessary to send them through the CasePro twice? Almost all of the brass comes out of a Glock.

Take a set of calipers and measure a cartridge before it goes through the CasePro, after one trip and then after a second trip. Compare the results. Use the same case and measure it in two or three locations using the same locations each time. You will probably find the second roll is unnecessary.

Pat

The great thing about the Casepro is it allows you to pick up everyone's 9mm brass and then roll it back to factory specs. I've been rolling my brass twice just to make sure there is no buldge at the bottom before I reload it. Ya know, if one time is good, then two times must be great! Now I have a BUNCH of 9mm brass and it's gonna take me forever to run it through the Casepro twice. I just wondered if everyone thought once is enough? Measuring the brass is a good idea ... thanks.

I don't know nuttin except that measuring 9mm brass is tricky since it is a tapered round. I suspect the best you can do is measure at the bottom & at the mouth unless you are a machinist or something & can measure in very precise ways.

I would try a small batch run through just once & see if you have any rejects when you case gauge them. If not, try a few more, still no rejects, just once would probably be enough.

Wish I had a case pro.

MLM

I'm am only rolling my 9 major brass once, same as 38SC, just one time. I'm not having any issues with it., it all drop checks and runs in the gun. I only load them once and discard, I pick up what ever 9 mm I find at the range so I don't know what it comes from, I know its not mine since it does not have Red Dykem on it.

I recently used a friends casepro on about 1K rounds of 9major brass I had shot 2-3x. I noticed that those cases

bulged more when shot with the same load that showed no bulging in once-fired factory brass. I believe this points

to a loss in overall strength of the 9mm cases when loaded multiple times to major PF.

I'm am only rolling my 9 major brass once, same as 38SC, just one time. I'm not having any issues with it., it all drop checks and runs in the gun. I only load them once and discard, I pick up what ever 9 mm I find at the range so I don't know what it comes from, I know its not mine since it does not have Red Dykem on it.

out of curiosity and the thoughts of one day moving into Open, when you pick up range brass, how do you know its not been shot in a 9major gun and left laying. people who shoot 9 major leave brass bc its been worked hard enough to possibly not be reloaded again. do you sort the range brass you pick up to make sure u dont have 9major leftovers?.

As for the OP, after you run it thru once, put it thru a case gage. if they pass, you shouldnt need a 2nd run.

I don't really understand the "mystery" around 9 major and brass. If you have a good chamber, you shouldn't have bulging brass and shouldn't be damaging brass. As the round fires in the chamber, the brass expands to the chamber, then relaxes and is extracted, wheither it is major or minor power. how is the brass being overworked if the chamber is properly sized and properly supported? About the only part of a barrel/chamber I see that may not be supported is directly above the ramp, if the user or smith relieved that area too much for "reliability" it could be a problem area... Other that that, some exotic barrels/chambers (fluted?) or old unsupported glock barrels could be damaging 9 major brass, but from what I see those are very few. If you are blowing the rim off the case or splitting the case open in the ramp area, then there is a different story, you probably need to check your load and try some different bullet/powder combos, or check your gun/barrel/chamber/timing/etc. its not the case's fault...

I roll size all of my pistol brass, to include 9mm for major. I pick it up, and re-use it. I use all the range brass I find. I buy a bucket of range brass from a friend. I don't "baby" my brass. I have never had a significant problem with over worked or bulging brass. once in a while when sorting I find a piece of brass that is split (usually at the mouth), but the chances of it being either 9 major or 40 major are pretty even.

IMHO the 9mm major round needs to be developed carefully. use a GOOD barrel with a completly supported chamber. Use pistol primers and watch for pressure signs. If you NEED to use rifle primers to avoid pressure signs, then something is wrong. finding the right bullet/powder combo is harder than 38s. there are fewer powders that work safely with 9major, even fewer that work without slinging powder all over the reloader or require being compressed to make major. from what I have seen, the 125-ish gn bullet seems to be where most are diverging, using a pretty slow non-violent powder like HS6 or autocomp that are pretty dense for the restricted case volume.

IMHO 9mm major shouldn't damage brass...

just my 2cents...

jj

I don't really understand the "mystery" around 9 major and brass. If you have a good chamber, you shouldn't have bulging brass and shouldn't be damaging brass. As the round fires in the chamber, the brass expands to the chamber, then relaxes and is extracted, wheither it is major or minor power. how is the brass being overworked if the chamber is properly sized and properly supported? About the only part of a barrel/chamber I see that may not be supported is directly above the ramp, if the user or smith relieved that area too much for "reliability" it could be a problem area... Other that that, some exotic barrels/chambers (fluted?) or old unsupported glock barrels could be damaging 9 major brass, but from what I see those are very few. If you are blowing the rim off the case or splitting the case open in the ramp area, then there is a different story, you probably need to check your load and try some different bullet/powder combos, or check your gun/barrel/chamber/timing/etc. its not the case's fault...

I roll size all of my pistol brass, to include 9mm for major. I pick it up, and re-use it. I use all the range brass I find. I buy a bucket of range brass from a friend. I don't "baby" my brass. I have never had a significant problem with over worked or bulging brass. once in a while when sorting I find a piece of brass that is split (usually at the mouth), but the chances of it being either 9 major or 40 major are pretty even.

IMHO the 9mm major round needs to be developed carefully. use a GOOD barrel with a completly supported chamber. Use pistol primers and watch for pressure signs. If you NEED to use rifle primers to avoid pressure signs, then something is wrong. finding the right bullet/powder combo is harder than 38s. there are fewer powders that work safely with 9major, even fewer that work without slinging powder all over the reloader or require being compressed to make major. from what I have seen, the 125-ish gn bullet seems to be where most are diverging, using a pretty slow non-violent powder like HS6 or autocomp that are pretty dense for the restricted case volume.

IMHO 9mm major shouldn't damage brass...

just my 2cents...

jj

Though I don't load it yet I have heard the same thing from local shooters using 9 major. They reload it over and over and have not had any problems. They also tend to use pistol primers. And they look only slightly flatter than my N320 minor primers look after firing

Though I don't load it yet I have heard the same thing from local shooters using 9 major. They reload it over and over and have not had any problems. They also tend to use pistol primers. And they look only slightly flatter than my N320 minor primers look after firing

Kevin - It just might be more about not wanting to bend over and pick the stuff up. If I wanted to pickup the brass I'd keep shooting my 38SC. When its 110 F and your tired 9 major feels good just letting it lay. It could also just be the economy of brass you can find anywhere.

Sure you can reload it more than once and the guy that got me into thinking major 9 loads his 3 times with no rolling. So sure I could count how many times I shot the brass. I just prefer to shoot it and let it go.

If I'm in a pinch for time I'll load it and then drop check anything that don't drop I manually feed it into the case pro and roll it. Yeah, you can roll loaded ammo if you manually feed it in. Then it drop check and you take it to the range and run it thru the unloader.

Ron

Kevin - It just might be more about not wanting to bend over and pick the stuff up. If I wanted to pickup the brass I'd keep shooting my 38SC. When its 110 F and your tired 9 major feels good just letting it lay. It could also just be the economy of brass you can find anywhere.

Sure you can reload it more than once and the guy that got me into thinking major 9 loads his 3 times with no rolling. So sure I could count how many times I shot the brass. I just prefer to shoot it and let it go.

If I'm in a pinch for time I'll load it and then drop check anything that don't drop I manually feed it into the case pro and roll it. Yeah, you can roll loaded ammo if you manually feed it in. Then it drop check and you take it to the range and run it thru the unloader.

Ron

I'm with Ron, when I shot 9 major I let the brass fall and never looked back. I always bought once fired WIN from a reliable souce. I always use SRP because they withstand the higher pressures of 9 Major better than SPP. No matter what powder you use, 9 Major is a high pressure round. Pushing 115s to 1480 FPS is hot. Not to mention all barrels are not the same and my require more powder to push 115s to beyond major. Using 121 or 124/125 is just as soft in my opinion.

I never had a problem with once fired brass. I would reload any 9 range brass for minor (as long as no visible cracks), but never to major. Never roll sized my brass, I do use a LEE U-die though.