Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Starting Berm Construction tomorrow!

Finally, after say some 25 or so years, my dream of having my own personal range is becoming a reality.

Talked with the dump truck guy after church today, and he said it's all good, and even offered a discount on the previously discussed price.

Ordered some steel from MGM, and I have been cutting trees/brush all week to make room for the dump truck.

I'm getting very close to having everything that I've ever wanted.

Just wanted to share my joy.

Brought in 7 loads of roadbed monday (got it cheap at $120 a load), getting 3 more tomorrow. That should finish off the "berm core".

There is a pine thicket where the actual shooting area is gonna be. I've been chainsawing like crazy, used 6 tanks of fuel sofar, probably 100 trees gone. They range in size from saplings to 10 inches diameter. When I get enough room, I'll bring in a tractor with a front loader on it, to "shape up" the berm.

Then, when it settles some, I'll go high class, and cover the front and top with topsoil, and seed it.

It's not gonna be a large berm, maybe 5-6 feet, but it's mine, and it's top of the hill, so if I'm 20 yards back, targets on the ground at the berm will be chest high.

pics would help, hang on.

I plan on using the lumber that comes from the trees to build a bridge to make for easy access.

I also can back off about 100 yards and send them over the pond.

Oh, and I got 6 MGM steel targets inbound right now!

I'll fly over and get an areal shot of the progress. Should be more noticeable.

post-11183-073834000 1286332474_thumb.jp

post-11183-039339800 1286332491_thumb.jp

post-11183-048244200 1286332505_thumb.jp

post-11183-079405800 1286332517_thumb.jp

Thanks guys.

I've been really thinking hard about what to do with the land behind the pond. Its almost half an acre.

The other day I asked some company at dinner, "anyone know someone with a dumptruck?"

Fellas name is "Bull", seems pretty cool, he dropped the price 40 bucks per load after our agreement! I just don't see much of that in the world today.

Now, I'm getting ready for the "after" pics!

Kyle,

What are the dimensions of your berm, and how many truck loads of dirt would you say it took to construct?

I had 10 loads brought in. the Dumptruck guy said his truck held 14 yards. It is probably 15 feet across the bottom and tops out at 8 feet. As far as length, I'm guessing ~40 feet long.

I finally got around to taking some photos from my plane. Look and you can see the MGM steel. There is still a lot of trees to cut, but I am waiting for a burn ban to lift, so I can burn the pile I've already made before I continue.

post-11183-086413100 1287869927_thumb.jp

post-11183-083841900 1287869947_thumb.jp

OH, and thanks for all the congrats, I didn't think I'd ever be so proud of a pile of dirt. :D

Edited by Kyle O

Backyard shooting bay and your own plane.

Where do you work, and are they hiring? :blush:

Selling drugs man!

as a pharmacist of course :devil: , and the fact that I paid off all of my debts, means a lot of extra cash to blow!