Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

People who verbally abuse customer service reps

Rob D

I work in a cell phone store. I got screamed at by a customer at work today for absolutely no reason. I've had customers get mad at me before, but it's usually when I have to give them bad news about something being out of warranty, or have to explain that the charges on their bill are legitimate when they disagree. Today, I was trying to help a kid with a broken phone, but we had to call his Dad to get permission for me to do anything first(FCC privacy regulations). This is everyday stuff, and normally it's no big deal. The parents give the ok, verify some info on the account, and then I can take care of the kid without them having to do anything else. Apparently the Dad misunderstood what I was trying to say(basically that I just needed his permission), and hung up on me, then drove all the way down to my store and screamed at me in front of all the customers and other employees. He put his finger in my face and insulted me personally, and basically just got all twisted up over something that wasn't even a problem. My boss took over, but the guy called out corporate headquarters and complained about me. Apparently he's a bank president and does a lot of business with our company through his bank, so I'm worried his comments are going to carry some weight even though they're completely ridiculous. I'm still confused over what the guy was mad about, but my point is basically this:

Whether you're at the bank, grocery store, video rental place, or whatever, screaming at the guy behind the counter is a scummy thing to do. He can't say or do anything to defend himself without risking his job. If I worked at Robbie's Cell phone Inc, I would have had some choice words for this gentleman, but since it's a corporate shop, I can only apologize and try to make him happy. If you're unhappy with the service someplace, politely let them know about it, but there's no reason to take it out on the guy behind the counter working for hourly wages.

Someone's signature(I can't remember whose) here on the forums says something along the lines of, "Be kinder than you need to to everyone. Everyone is facing some kind of struggle." I'm trying to keep that in mind, and let this incident go, but I'm having a hard time. Maybe this guy was having a bad day or was upset about something else, and just took it out on me. Either way, give customer service and sales people a break; we're just doing our jobs.

Before I retired I was with Qwest Communications in Albuquerque for 32 years. 20 of those years was in a position working with customers, digital pair gain, fiber and hi-cap circuits. The few times that I was treated as you were I just walked away, called the boss with an explanation of exactly what happened and refused to go back which would usually require a visit by another tech a day later. They didn't pay me enough to take that abuse.

In your case I would have handed this a$$hole off to my boss. If he/she wasn't available I would have told the puke to leave the store. If he didn't it would have been time to call the police and explain that you had an irate customer that might go postal and you feared for your safety and that of your customers. Even though you might not have been fearful it sure would have been fun to see the look on his face when said police showed up and you pointed to him. There are a few different ways to skin a cat.

Pat

Story of my life (well, at least the last 10 years of it).

I've always wondered what's worse, having to hear it in person or having someone go over the top because you're on the phone with them.

A few weeks ago I had a guy call me an ignorant, know-nothing scumbag because I told him I couldn't fix the fuzzy picture on his TV since the issue was coming directly from the provider. He told me I needed to have the president of my company call the president of their company (FOX) so they could "sit down and discuss things" and I would know this if I had taken a "basic business course at a community college."

Then he equated his issue to buying bad eggs at a grocery store. I guess he didn't like it when I told him that he couldn't return his Fox to us.

I work in a cell phone store. I got screamed at by a customer at work today for absolutely no reason. I've had customers get mad at me before, but it's usually when I have to give them bad news about something being out of warranty, or have to explain that the charges on their bill are legitimate when they disagree. Today, I was trying to help a kid with a broken phone, but we had to call his Dad to get permission for me to do anything first(FCC privacy regulations). This is everyday stuff, and normally it's no big deal. The parents give the ok, verify some info on the account, and then I can take care of the kid without them having to do anything else. Apparently the Dad misunderstood what I was trying to say(basically that I just needed his permission), and hung up on me, then drove all the way down to my store and screamed at me in front of all the customers and other employees. He put his finger in my face and insulted me personally, and basically just got all twisted up over something that wasn't even a problem. My boss took over, but the guy called out corporate headquarters and complained about me. Apparently he's a bank president and does a lot of business with our company through his bank, so I'm worried his comments are going to carry some weight even though they're completely ridiculous. I'm still confused over what the guy was mad about, but my point is basically this:

Whether you're at the bank, grocery store, video rental place, or whatever, screaming at the guy behind the counter is a scummy thing to do. He can't say or do anything to defend himself without risking his job. If I worked at Robbie's Cell phone Inc, I would have had some choice words for this gentleman, but since it's a corporate shop, I can only apologize and try to make him happy. If you're unhappy with the service someplace, politely let them know about it, but there's no reason to take it out on the guy behind the counter working for hourly wages.

Someone's signature(I can't remember whose) here on the forums says something along the lines of, "Be kinder than you need to to everyone. Everyone is facing some kind of struggle." I'm trying to keep that in mind, and let this incident go, but I'm having a hard time. Maybe this guy was having a bad day or was upset about something else, and just took it out on me. Either way, give customer service and sales people a break; we're just doing our jobs.

Rob,

I feel where you coming from brotha.....

I work for cell ph company as well, happens all the time over the phone, but in person is a different story.

The stores do have it rough because of face to face contact. Unfortunately, some feel they will get their way by "bogarting" their will to get what they want.

Hang in there Rob,

I know how you feel, most of the time when I get called people are at there worst. It may be the situation they are in, finances or personal issues. I'm called to help and make a decision. The decision I make, does not make everyone happy. You have to do what you know is proper, you can't make them all happy, but you know what is right.

Pat

I've always wondered what's worse, having to hear it in person or having someone go over the top because you're on the phone with them.

The stores do have it rough because of face to face contact. Unfortunately, some feel they will get their way by "bogarting" their will to get what they want.

I think we have people get irate less often in stores just because people tend to be a little more reasonable when they have to look you in the eye. It's easier for someone to go nuts on the phone, but every couple of years something like this happens and we get to see what you guys deal with all the time, except in person.

Thanks for the kind words guys. I guess any job where you deal with the public leaves you with one of these jerks every now and then.

Good thing you are in WI; I was afraid you were talking about me! I have been guilty of be upset at reps at times. I usually am able to explain that it is the system of the company that I am frustrated over and not them personally. However, sometimes the devil gets out. Sorry for your bad experience. Just remember that people are weird!

I hate the idea that people think you must just stand there and take it. They THINK they have you as a captive audience so off they go. That is the joy of being self employed. I don't take crap from anyone.

Foreign exchange student at a local store trying to earn a few bucks for the summer here. Guy was degrading her in front of anyone over a 10 cent change mistake. I threw the guy a dollar and told him to GTF out and leave the kid alone. I was the next customer in line.

Deflection works, usually. Back when I worked directly with end users who were having some emotional centering issues, I experimented with them. smile.gif One of my favorites is letting Mr or Ms Fudpucker scream away, while glancing at their nose several times. When they pause, point to one of your own nostrils and say quietly and with concern. "you have...something right...here." People who are having me issues at that moment can be really taken off their game. Sort of mean but you do what you gotta' do.

Whatever you do never be a mirror. They're trying to control something, anything. Some people feel that pulling you down to their emotional state will help and it doesn't, just fans the flames. One of the best at disarming these folks was a fellow I worked with at a lumber yard. Seems people who can't cut their own lumber sure could supervise those who could dry.gif. Scott would just put the biggest, stupidest (but genuine) smile on his face and virtually kill these dorks with kindness. You had to see it to really appreciate it.

Anyway, smile and try hard not to personalize it.

Jim

When I worked for a Cellular company in the 90's I know exactly what you are talking about... :wacko:

I have been there myself, many times and my normal response to them when they get abuse is somewhat "passive aggressive"...but it seems to work in about 95% of the cases.

I sit there calmly and wait for them to finish screaming, yelling, whatever and then am just silent for about 10 seconds...just long enough for them to get uncomfortable and then I say "Sir/Mam, I am more than willing to help you *IF* you will *let* me help you. Screaming and yelling will NOT solve the situation so if you will talk with me calmly about this we can reach a solution. Will you *LET* me help you in a calm way?" And then I wait again for them to say yes or no.

Of course this is all done on a situational basis but this puts the onus back on *them* to "be reasonable" and if they then get all fussy you can honestly say that they were "being unreasonable" and would not LET you help them.

I have to hand it to those that can work in this type of environment. I get too keyed up and jumpy when someone starts yelling in my face. I was jumped like that one time, and now, I have to leave for fear of hitting someone. I'm just looking for that flinch of a first punch. So instead I work with machines.

Good luck man. I feel for you.

This is why i'm glad i work in a prison.If our "customers" get lippy we can send them to segregation where they can scream and yell all they want and they annoy no one but the other "customers". Maybe a job change is in order.