Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

iron sight question

stewj

Thinking about a new iron sight set up. I have a 16" barrel now and was thinking about a longer sight radius. Has anyone tried the White Oak Arm. service rifle? Is 20" too long for this sport? How is the weight on this rifle? I would have them set it up with the sight moved to the end of the barrel. Are there better options?

16" is usable, but 20" is better for irons. I've never used a WOA barrel, but if it's a HBAR profile, it will be heavy. It just depends if you like a heavy rifle or a light rifle. I use a 20" Sabre in Tac Irons, with a JP FSB mounted behind the comp and a DPMS rear sight.

389779922.jpg

If you are going to shoot irons, 20" is the most popular setup. A 20" AR is still a short gun (no longer than an 18" barreled shotgun, which most people consider short). I shoot irons with a 20" gun and have never thought it was hindering me because it was too long.

Hurley

My favorite rear setup is the DPMS rear shown shown above, with the following mods: (1) replace the 3-6 elevation drum with a 3-8 drum (every one of these sights I bought had the 3-8 elevation index installed :surprise: ), and (2) Dremel the bottom of the elevation screw slot to allow it to adjust all the way up.

My favorite front sight setup is the JP Globe with crosshair reticle.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

what is a good weight for a 20" barrel so the gun does not get too heavy?

I personally wouldn't go any lighter than either a .gov profile or the fluted Sabre barrel. I personally cannot shoot a light rifle as well as a rifle w/ a little weight.

I run a 18inch SPR profile barrel from Compass Lake. Clamp the sight behind the comp and go. As for weight and length I've never been hindered by either once the buzzer went off. My rear sight is a Daniel Defense A1.

16" is usable, but 20" is better for irons. I've never used a WOA barrel, but if it's a HBAR profile, it will be heavy. It just depends if you like a heavy rifle or a light rifle. I use a 20" Sabre in Tac Irons, with a JP FSB mounted behind the comp and a DPMS rear sight.

389779922.jpg

Looks familiar...

Sabre-irons.JPG

I got an 18" barrel before I decided to shoot irons.

Edited by iainmcphersn

What do you guys think of the A2 style upper? This is going to be a dedicated irons upper. The WOA uppers with the pinned sights look great but I have not noticed anyone using them. Are there any reasons to not use an A2 upper other than the limitations of adding an optic?

Another question about my build. When you have rifle length gas does a 14" handguard completly cover the gas block? If it does not will it leave enough of the block uncovered to adjust the gas screw? For you guys completly covering the gas block how do you get to the screw to adjust your gas system? I can see getting access thru the holes in some handguards but something solid like a clark would you need a hole drilled for access?

A2 upper will be fine. I went w/ a flat top so that the field of view isn't limited by the carry handle.

My gas block is not adjustable. It's a midlength system w/ a rifle length handguard. I would expect that a 14" hand guard would cover most of the low profile adjustable gas blocks.

Edited by Bryan 45

That does seem obvious outsydlook but I assumed you would like to have good access to the gas system over time for change in ammo, a problem at a match, or to keep an eye on the adjustment screw to make sure it doesn't work out. I have not used the adjustable system so maybe I am overthinking it?

That does seem obvious outsydlook but I assumed you would like to have good access to the gas system over time for change in ammo, a problem at a match, or to keep an eye on the adjustment screw to make sure it doesn't work out. I have not used the adjustable system so maybe I am overthinking it?

The adjustable gas block, like the JP is more of a set it 1st and use it. Over time it will build carbon and become "cemented". Many folks set the screw and locktite it in. It is not something you want moving. If it closes off in a match you have a single shot.

Jay