Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Not being able to see the targets clearly is a good thing?

Neomet

I've been shooting Open for a couple years but starting playing with my Limited gun lately and having some fun. I was chronoing some rounds with my readers on (yes polycarb) and while I couldn't see distance for crap I sure could see the front sight better than with my normal lenses. I set up some targets and found this to actually be a pretty good way to shoot. The targets are really fuzzy but not only is the front sight clear, it is the ONLY thing that is clear which seems to force my vision to the sight rather than being suckered down to the targets like I do with my Open gun. Actually feels like I am getting my shots off quicker since I am not "working" at bringing my vision back to the sight.

Now I just started playing with this and the Nationals stages seem to be heavily populated with NSs so I may chicken out and shoot with my other lenses. Going to set up some ministages with a bunch of NSs around them tomorrow to see how this works in practice. Interesting though. Very interesting.

I just got bit in butt big time this past weekend with fuzzed out targets. = it was not good for me= I choked and crashed on a 3 gun stage with my handgun - late in the day on gray targets surrounded by grass. I am going to have to try and duplicate the conditions to figure out what happened to me = other than just choking

The targets were 5 " square on post no farther out than 15 yards

I have a similar problem. I have an affliction refered to as convergence insufficiency. It has recently gotten worse.

Ive never had a problem losing focus on the front sight until recently. My glasses help stay focused on my front sight but far away targets are blurry.

I've been doing "pencil pushups" as directed by my optometrist but long hours staring at the computer worsen the condition. What's strange is that I have 20/15 vision.

Edited by d_striker

As I understand it ... Both eyes work together and you can only focus on one plane at a time so either the sights are going to be clear or the target is. That said...

A younger person with good vision will have a somewhat greater depth of focus and the eyes will react and focus more quickly. But as you get older, both of these things will degrade to some degree. As a result, vision in general gets poorer.

Parents used to tell kids not to sit too close to the TV or they would go blind. That's not exactly true, but it does hurt your vision if you spend a lot of time looking at things in the same plane of focus (like a computer screen). In part because your eyes will get "lazy". This is why it's recommended to periodically look away from the screen and look out a window or at least across the room.

As for glasses, if you need glasses then they bring with them their own reduction of depth of focus and will impair your ability to focus out of a specific plane.

Red dots are looking better and better to me every year - even if they do smear a bit.

I've been shooting Open for a couple years but starting playing with my Limited gun lately and having some fun. I was chronoing some rounds with my readers on (yes polycarb) and while I couldn't see distance for crap I sure could see the front sight better than with my normal lenses. I set up some targets and found this to actually be a pretty good way to shoot. The targets are really fuzzy but not only is the front sight clear, it is the ONLY thing that is clear which seems to force my vision to the sight rather than being suckered down to the targets like I do with my Open gun. Actually feels like I am getting my shots off quicker since I am not "working" at bringing my vision back to the sight.

Now I just started playing with this and the Nationals stages seem to be heavily populated with NSs so I may chicken out and shoot with my other lenses. Going to set up some ministages with a bunch of NSs around them tomorrow to see how this works in practice. Interesting though. Very interesting.

Good stuff - stick with it. My gut feeling is that you will shoot tight no-shoots just as well as open targets. It's amazing how your vision naturally centers the sights in the (available) target area.

be

Quick update on this. NSs were no problem at all but swingers, particularly the uber-fast ones ones with only a window at the top of the arc that are so popular here in Phoenix are another issue. I need to at least

have good enough distance vision to tell when the target is breaking across the front sight quickly and the readers don't cut it for that. May try a weak distance script in my non-dom eye.

• 3 months later...

I just got bit in butt big time this past weekend with fuzzed out targets. = it was not good for me= I choked and crashed on a 3 gun stage with my handgun - late in the day on gray targets surrounded by grass. I am going to have to try and duplicate the conditions to figure out what happened to me = other than just choking

The targets were 5 " square on post no farther out than 15 yards

Your body tricked your eyes. The same thing happens to me when I shoot indoors, you've trained a certain amount of time into your shooting that you know should be sufficient to resolve the sight picture you need, but the lower amount of visual input due to low light slows down your ability to move/correct the sight picture. I've been working on this for a while, and I've determined that there is a certain level of "bad" that tells me to start pulling the trigger, because I know I'll have the bad corrected before the trigger stroke completes. For instance if I have the whole front sight but it is a bit low and showing no light on one side in the rear sight, I'll go ahead and start my trigger pull because I will automatically have eased it up and to the right by the time the pull is finished. Indoor however, the time it takes for that automatic correction to happen is longer, but my trigger pull is the same, so I wind up with a 50% bigger error factor.

H.

Edited by Houngan

Just focus your dominant eye on the FS and your other eye on the target....best of both worlds! :roflol:

Back on point, though, I notice that after watching TV or looking at my computer for a long time, my eyes don't work quite as well as they do after being active and focusing on items at different distances. I'm only 25 and don't have any eye trouble other than wearing glasses/contacts but still find it helpful to "warm up my eyes" by looking at things near and far and being out in the sun a bit before a match. That's why it's nice that they're on weekend mornings so I'm not shooting after a long day at work in front of the computer.

When I was younger I was always near-sighted and wore corrective lenses. Now that I am older, I can't see close if I have glasses on to see far. So, following a tip from Duane Thomas, I ended up having a prescription for my dominant eye that allows the front site to be in focus and a prescription for my other eye that keeps long distance items in focus. When I am shooting I am focusing on the front site, so the targets are always fuzzy for me. What is amusing is notcing how the brain will switch eye dominance depending on the distance that I am focusing on. The joys of old age...

When I was younger I was always near-sighted and wore corrective lenses. Now that I am older, I can't see close if I have glasses on to see far. So, following a tip from Duane Thomas, I ended up having a prescription for my dominant eye that allows the front site to be in focus and a prescription for my other eye that keeps long distance items in focus. When I am shooting I am focusing on the front site, so the targets are always fuzzy for me. What is amusing is notcing how the brain will switch eye dominance depending on the distance that I am focusing on. The joys of old age...

That's cheating! :P just kidding.

Pretty cool what the brain can do in a split second.