Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

C-MORE dot disappears

ATMester

I ventured into open not too long ago. I use a 90 degree Cheely mount. I am on my 3rd C-MORE...as we speak and the 3rd one is already giving me problems after one day of usage.

The dot disappears on me as the gun recoils (it even does the same thing in dry-fire)

Then usually comes back when the gun takes more beating by the recoil or in dry-fire by dropping the hammer.

I talked to one of the C-MORE technicians a few days ago.

He said: it is a problem associated with 90 degree mounts! (Cheely-Quinn etc)

C-MORE sights what had no previous issues...when mounted on to 90 degree mounts start displaying the same problems ie. dot disappears.

Well I yet to see one post here on the forums about this issue...

In my club 90 degree mounts are used exclusively by open shooters...I am the only one with this issue.

(I use new Duracell C-MORE batteries- no, not a battery issue I guess)

Any opinion - help would be much appreciated on this issue Guys,

So in a dry fire situation, the dot is on, you see the dot, you pull the trigger and the dot turns off? Or you just don't see the dot?

D

+1. I had stages i am losing my dot because of poor tracking. 3 C-Mores and still giving you problems? maybe its not he c-more anymore. Do you have anti-glare shield? because if you dont you should be able to see at least a red illumination if you cant see the dot on the c-more glass. does it completely turn off? does it happen on the first shot? after successive shots?

I have used both canted and 90-deg mounts on my open guns for 2+ years without ever experiencing what you describe. One of my guns has at least 15K rounds through it with a 90-degree mount with no problems.

Ya and I have over 200K on them...

You got some bad information...

I can't fathom why someone would tell you that, other than they don't like the mounts.

JT

I ventured into open not too long ago. I use a 90 degree Cheely mount. I am on my 3rd C-MORE...as we speak and the 3rd one is already giving me problems after one day of usage.

The dot disappears on me as the gun recoils (it even does the same thing in dry-fire)

Then usually comes back when the gun takes more beating by the recoil or in dry-fire by dropping the hammer.

C-MORE sights what had no previous issues...when mounted on to 90 degree mounts start displaying the same problems ie. dot disappears.

In my club 90 degree mounts are used exclusively by open shooters...I am the only one with this issue.

It is not the 90 degree mounts. Something is wrong with the C-more. Send it in for repair.

So in a dry fire situation, the dot is on, you see the dot, you pull the trigger and the dot turns off? Or you just don't see the dot?

D

Well, there is NO dot to see...

I have used both canted and 90-deg mounts on my open guns for 2+ years without ever experiencing what you describe. One of my guns has at least 15K rounds through it with a 90-degree mount with no problems.

Ya and I have over 200K on them...

You got some bad information...

I can't fathom why someone would tell you that, other than they don't like the mounts.

JT

Well don't know what to say why would they say it is related to the Cheely-Quinn mounts...but that is what I was told.

I could only fathom that the pins for the diode are coming loose during recoil. Should happen on a 90 or normal mount though.

Have you tried this c-more on a conventional mount?

I am fine with your mount, not planning to try conventional ones.

It is not the 90 degree mounts. Something is wrong with the C-more. Send it in for repair.

I have two C-MORE sights. Sent them back already, but still the same problem.

Edited by TheHun

I could only fathom that the pins for the diode are coming loose during recoil. Should happen on a 90 or normal mount though.

I use a Limcat anti glare shield, shouldn't it hold the module in place more stable than a module without it would be?

I use a Limcat anti glare shield, shouldn't it hold the module in place more stable than a module without it would be?

No. In fact I had one cause the issue you are talking about. Try and take it off and see if you still have issues. I use a Limcat shield too, so they aren't bad, but I did have one cause this problem. Take it off and put the old cover on and report back.

JT

This may seem simple, but take off the anti-glare shield and see if the dot is back. I had to trim the inside of another type because it blocked the dot.

When you get this figured out make sure to post. I cant for the life of me think of a reason the direction it was mounted would have any effect on the dot. Keep us advised.

It may actually have an effect on the longevity of the sight. Since there are electromechanical contacts in various parts of the scope and everything has mass, orientation may play a role in how recoil is tolerated. If Cmore intended for the scope to be mounted in one particular orientation then they probably did not do reliability testing in others. Back in the days of the TASCO PDPs the orientation of the scope impacted the wear characteristics of the contacts that were mounted below the battery in the same compartment. I use Aimpoints so I have zero experience with Cmores but in my 15 years of experience in design engineering this kind of issue was not uncommon.

Have you tried this c-more on a conventional mount?

The most common culprit is actually the potentiometer (sp?) The 3 points where it is soldered on to the circuit board tend to crack. First thing i do to every scope is to have a friend re-solder and run 3 jumper wires from the switch to the board. So far so good.

No. In fact I had one cause the issue you are talking about. Try and take it off and see if you still have issues. I use a Limcat shield too, so they aren't bad, but I did have one cause this problem. Take it off and put the old cover on and report back.

JT

Limcat shield removed, old cover back. Same...

Two weeks to Nats and I have no working C-MORE...but I own two. :wacko:

JT

PM me with your address, I'll send you my backup, it works fine.... What size dot do you use?

JT

JT

PM me with your address, I'll send you my backup, it works fine.... What size dot do you use?

JT

JT,

Thank you very much for the offer. I appreciate it.

I went ahead and ordered my 3rd C-MORE

By the odds I should have one working now... :rolleyes:

Edited by TheHun

• 6 months later...

I have been using the 90 degree mount for over two years and haven't had any problems like you are describing, however a person that I shoot with often had on-going problems with the C-mores but has since gone to the "click" model and claims that cured the problems. However having said that I have read where some guys swear by both styles so I don't know what to believe.

To me it sounds like a battery issue, does your battery go in real tight, so there's no chance of movement?