Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Match

JxMAN25

hey guys. i just finished my safty course and got some private time with learning the sport. anyways i have my first match this saterday. i dont think i will be doing a clasifying because im not a USPSA member yet but it should still be fun and a experiance for when i do classify. Any tips for a first match any one has? Now i just need to get my hands on a reloader!!! Jesse

Forget whatever you see someone else doing...Think only about what you are going to do when it's your turn...Then forget that when the buzzer goes off...Don't shoot faster than you can see...Keep your finger off the trigger when you are reloading or moving...Keep the muzzle pointed downrange at all times....Tell the RO that you are new...Have fun and be careful....Don't worry about your time....

1. Be safe

2. Try not to pay attention to the sound of other shooters on the stage, particularly those showoff Open folks. :roflol: The sound of how quickly they shoot can drive you to shoot faster than you can right now.

3. The buzzer just means begin, not lose your mind. (I still struggle with that one.) You can not successfully shoot any faster than you could before the buzzer went off.

4. You will be much, much happier if you shoot for good points rather than speed. Few things are as frustrating as picking up a bunch of mikes. The speed will come.

5. Tell the RO at every stage that it is your first match.

Both when you step into the box and then when you have fired your last shot tell yourself that your are now playing a version of Simon Says. Do only what the RO says. This will be harder than it sounds as

you will probably be able to hear your heartbeat in your ears and you are used to doing a specific routine when you finish shooting on your own. Be slow, be deliberate.

6. If you have ANY questions ask. Shooters are a sociable bunch and glad to help.

7. Help tape and set steel. You will garner many friends this way.

8. I would tell you to have fun, but that is going to happen no matter what I say!!

9. Bring plenty of ammo. You may have to reshoot a stage so you want to have enough BBs.

Let us know how the match goes.

We had a couple of new shooters out at the range the other day.

One of the things i told them was these guys really are not just pulling the trigger faster, they are seeing the targets faster and that is what is dictating their speed. Try not to emulate the Open shooters, just shoot the targets as you can see them.

Another point I made was what was their stage strategy. I walked them through the stage several times. It was not an easy stage. Targets on the left and right with a wall with two ports. The routine I had them repeat back was left, right, left right and go in deep. That was the best sequence for the way the targets were set up. I bring this up because the point is to really memorize your shooting procedure. Repeat it to yourself many times before you shoot. As a new shooter you may get the opportunity to go last which is a good thing. It will help you embed your shooting sequence.

All the above comments are excellent. Try to relax and smile at yourself when you make a mistake. A good attitude is everything in this sport.

There is lots of great advise here. I will add take a look at the rules before you go. They are on line. Read through the range commands, safety rules and scoring. It will be a plus to have a little understanding of the procedures when you get there.

Here is the new shooter information package we provide at the South East Practical Shooters Association (SEPSA) matches in Fernandina Beach, Florida (Just north of Jacksonville.) It should answer many of your questions.

Good luck at your first match. You're going to have the time of your life!

SEPSA New Shooter Information Package - Share.doc

Edited by XD Niner

well today at the match it was awsome. Needless to say im hooked. I went slow and accurate. at my first stage i think i got 27 out of 28 points possible or something like that. i messed up one stage by not seeing 2 targets and going over the line at another 2, i did do good at the texas star though. but over all i think i did ok. I cant wait for the next match in 2 weeks. Jesse

Here is the new shooter information package we provide at the South East Practical Shooters Association (SEPSA) matches in Fernandina Beach, Florida (Just north of Jacksonville.) It should answer many of your questions.

Good luck at your first match. You're going to have the time of your life!

great summary, do you mind if I use it on a local forum?