Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What causes this?

TerryO

My single stack STI Sentinel just started doing this. Not every round but the odd round clearly ejects and clears the action but the case mouth is badly damaged. I've got a major match coming up and don't want to get bit with a problem. Sorry the picture quality is poor, iPhones can only do so much, but I think you can see the case mouth pretty clearly.

45ACP.jpg

Great, where do I find an extractor now by tomorrow???:angry2:

You can put a bit more tension on it, but then you need to test it esp if you have not done it before....

Excerpt from Bob article below...

At this point, you need to adjust the extractor tension. With the firing pin stop installed, slide a round under the extractor and check the tension. It should hold a loaded round firmly, but you should not have to work to push the round under the extractor. There should be enough tension to hold the round against the breechface, but not so much that it stops the round from feeding up the breechface. Bend the extractor until it produces this level of tension. Then check that the round slides under the extractor smoothly. If you feel any resistance or hard spots, roll the offending edge until you get smooth feeding. Go a little at a time until it you get it right.

http://www.brazoscus...0perfection.htm

Edited by JThompson

Take a real good look at your ejector also. Not broken off? What's happening is the cartridge is getting turned around on the way out of the ejection port (normal) and the case mouth is getting hit by the breach face of the slide as it is coming forward into battery. What is abnormal about the situation is the case should be flung farther away from the returning slide than it is. Something is obviously amiss!

Pat

I had that happen, after some trigger work! It occurred about 1x-2x in 100 rounds, same 3 lobe profile. The cases were kind of dribbling out, and IIRC when this occurred the case was turning around and getting smacked by the breech against the barrel hood.

The bullseye smith who did the work hemmed and hawed and tried to attribute it to my "shooting style", but after seeing it happen he either replaced or reshaped the ejector and the problem went away.

I think he redid the extractor as well, but it had passed all of the tests.

Edited by ben b.

This is the hard part: but not so much that it stops the round from feeding up the breechface.

So you need to test that it feeds smoothly or you will get failure to go into battery and have scars on you left palm from whacking the back of the slide to close it.

Yep, the case is getting pinched by the slide (in the ejection port) as it's closing. Weak lot of ammo, too heavy of a recoil spring, really weak extractor or totally fragged ejector. Since it is extracting and trying to eject, I'd suspect the ammo first. How does the gun feel when cycling by hand? What PF have you been running, and have you changed lots of powder lately? R,

It's not a light load, running 172 power factor. I did pull the extractor out of one of my other 1911's last night and I can see the difference. That extractor has a slight bend to it, the gun in question's the extractor is straight. So it looks like the extractor, will work on it today.

It's not a light load, running 172 power factor. I did pull the extractor out of one of my other 1911's last night and I can see the difference. That extractor has a slight bend to it, the gun in question's the extractor is straight. So it looks like the extractor, will work on it today.

If you're certain that batch of ammo is running 172PF (i.e. chrono'd it recently), I'd order an AFTEC ASAP....in most cases you can simply radius the edges of the FPS, pop the AFTEC in and have it be 100%. I'll usually cycle maybe 20-40 dummy rounds through the gun, by hand, to settle the AFTEC springs, but even that isn't usually necessary. If you're not an accomplished standard extractor tuner, it's going to be hit or miss. R,

Very common problem that is usually fixed with an extractor tuning. I'm sure there's someone in the club that can show you how set the tension on the extractor.

Needs to be bent to just hold the round against the breech face with the slide off the gun.

I have seen guns that were put up for several months gain extractor tension as the extractor will move back to it's original shape. The guns way of payback for not using it enough.

Just happened to a friends Wilson 45 after he put it up for a year.

Never put an Aftec in a 45 as extractor tuning always fixed the problem.

But my Trojan in 9mm and my open 38 Super both ended up with Aftec's to make them run, money well spent. Aftec's also need to be fitted, not just a drop in part.

A small angle cut on the ejector will help spent cases clear the ejection port also.

Aftec's also need to be fitted, not just a drop in part.

Not really. You're not supposed to do anything to an AFTEC (doing so voids any warranty claims). The firing pin stop gets radiused, but that's it. The one exception is if it's too long and you need to shorten up the nose so it doesn't contact the barrel, but that's not too common.

I think I've put them in six guns so far (not that it's a huge number) and haven't done a thing to any of them other then shorten them up so they're flush with the back of the slide. R,

If you're certain that batch of ammo is running 172PF (i.e. chrono'd it recently), I'd order an AFTEC ASAP....in most cases you can simply radius the edges of the FPS, pop the AFTEC in and have it be 100%. I'll usually cycle maybe 20-40 dummy rounds through the gun, by hand, to settle the AFTEC springs, but even that isn't usually necessary. If you're not an accomplished standard extractor tuner, it's going to be hit or miss. R,

Yep 172PF on Saturday. I ordered an AFTEC this morning but won't get it until after next week, Aftec is running behind. Stuck my Wilson extractor in and going to test it this afternoon. On the other hand, I've checked both extractors and they have the same tension on the round, but obviously it's having problems about 2 - 3 rounds per 100. Worst case I use the original extractor and shoot the match hoping that there won't be a problem. I will take my Wilson as a back up though.

Aftec aftec aftec. All my ••11's get em. I have 3-4 STI, Wilson & EGW tuned extractors that came out of Guns I bought and replaced with them. Their now backups. I have shot my limited gun with a broken ejector for 10k rounds and I get FTE's about 1 in every 1000 rounds. I took a file and put a little radius on what's left and it runs like I replaced the thing. I'm not changing it until I have another ejection issue.

Yep 172PF on Saturday. I ordered an AFTEC this morning but won't get it until after next week, Aftec is running behind. Stuck my Wilson extractor in and going to test it this afternoon. On the other hand, I've checked both extractors and they have the same tension on the round, but obviously it's having problems about 2 - 3 rounds per 100. Worst case I use the original extractor and shoot the match hoping that there won't be a problem. I will take my Wilson as a back up though.

I didn't notice...is it a .40 or .45? Millennium Custom owns the rights to the AFTEC now, and the website shows both .40 and .45 in stock. If you called Derek, I'm sure he'd shake one loose for you. Speed Shooters International and Brazos also show them in stock. R,

Edited by G-ManBart