Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

comp change on a trubor

mark carr

The Trubore gun (old design) resonds well to poppel holes, and slide lightning.. That aside the possibilites are wide open with either the Brazos Trubore with his comp design, or other cutom cut comp in a Trubore Blank. You could rebarrel it and put anything you wanted in it.

My smith and I found this out when I sold him a old Competitor TruBore barreled gun and he described it as super violent, he put about a 1/8" hole about 1/2" back from the end of the side and it tamed it down a bunch. I took mine in and got the same hole and it helped a bunch. He is shooting N105 and I shoot AA#7 and both are 38 Super. I posted this info and another Benos member sent his gun in and had it done and was just very elated with the results. Also note that they work a bit better in the 172-175pf range.

You can call Wayne at Ho Guns at 210-521-2288.

I should add that while the TruBore is one piece, the benefit of that is it is much lighter than a bull with a screw on. If you look at the screw on for the bull it has about a 1/2" of metal before the first port, this makes the comp heavy and tends to make the gun very nose heavy, great if you like that, Idon't.

Edited by CocoBolo

Hey Cocobolo Yes I would like to keep it light when I quit shooting I sold most of my STI's so the only thing to shoot when I decided to get back in to USPSA shooting was a was my old P9 that a buddy has had in his safe for 18 years this thing is heavy but it is real accurate and has a good trigger Bruce Gray built it for me just as the STI's came out so it never was shot much but it is heavy.So I am ready for something lighter, and more mag capacity. Mark,

post-26600-095536300 1284829652_thumb.jp

Hey Cocobolo Yes I would like to keep it light when I quit shooting I sold most of my STI's so the only thing to shoot when I decided to get back in to USPSA shooting was a was my old P9 that a buddy has had in his safe for 18 years this thing is heavy but it is real accurate and has a good trigger Bruce Gray built it for me just as the STI's came out so it never was shot much but it is heavy.So I am ready for something lighter, and more mag capacity. Mark,

I've got two of those and an STI Trubor...They aren't that heavy...Shoot it.

I didn't say it was too heavy, I said that big honker hunk of steel hung 5"s out in front of the trigger makes the gun nose heavy (bull with steel screw on comp). Some shooters like that, I don't, I like mine balanced at the trigger. The TruBore it a lot lighter out there 5" in front of the trigger. The 2011 gives lots of opportunity to rebalance, like with a Big Brass mag well hung on its butt or an aluminum guide rod in the front. The TruBore is a good gun, but you can improve them and make them as good as anything out there, which by the way is totally subjective because everyones Idea of the ultimate open gun is way different. What works for me may not work for you and so on. You can do most of it with a mill, take the slide and whack all that fat off, then chunk up a drill bit an put a hell hole or two in the barrel. (don't do this at home get a good smith to do it).

I shot a Tnfo Silverteam, same thing as a P9, I recall its a couple oz heavier than a TruBore but the balance was pretty good, and the thing really shot well, but the mags were short on capacity and hard to clean. I sold it a couple years ago to a bulls eye shooter, he loved it. I still remember the first time I shot a Texas Star with that gun and cleaned it with 5 shots before it could flinch. Have not done that since, sure 5 shots but it flinches.

I didn't say it was too heavy, I said that big honker hunk of steel hung 5"s out in front of the trigger makes the gun nose heavy (bull with steel screw on comp). Some shooters like that, I don't, I like mine balanced at the trigger. The TruBore it a lot lighter out there 5" in front of the trigger. The 2011 gives lots of opportunity to rebalance, like with a Big Brass mag well hung on its butt or an aluminum guide rod in the front. The TruBore is a good gun, but you can improve them and make them as good as anything out there, which by the way is totally subjective because everyones Idea of the ultimate open gun is way different. What works for me may not work for you and so on. You can do most of it with a mill, take the slide and whack all that fat off, then chunk up a drill bit an put a hell hole or two in the barrel. (don't do this at home get a good smith to do it).

I shot a Tnfo Silverteam, same thing as a P9, I recall its a couple oz heavier than a TruBore but the balance was pretty good, and the thing really shot well, but the mags were short on capacity and hard to clean. I sold it a couple years ago to a bulls eye shooter, he loved it. I still remember the first time I shot a Texas Star with that gun and cleaned it with 5 shots before it could flinch. Have not done that since, sure 5 shots but it flinches.

I'll have to weigh mine...My Trubor seems decidedly heavier than the P9's...Remember, the comp on the P9's is a small 2 port comp that doesn't completely fill out the profile of the dust cover...

post-18733-035559500 1284852006_thumb.jp

I'll have to weigh mine...My Trubor seems decidedly heavier than the P9's...Remember, the comp on the P9's is a small 2 port comp that doesn't completely fill out the profile of the dust cover...

You could be right, and while your at it weigh the side, you will find the slide on the P9 weights less than a stock TruBore slide, my silver team had a 3 port comp but still balanced well and ran 100% and shot soft and flat with 135gr pushed by 7.2gr of IMR7625 (40 S&W). If the mags only held 28 Rounds I would still be shooting it, ok even 25 would have worked but 15 no way. My Competitor slide weighs 9.5 oz naked and 10 oz with extractor and firing pin, stock TruBore slide will be closer to 15 oz.

Hum, interesting. I had a STI .38 slide with some holes (12) already drilled in it and some cut down in the back that weighed in at close to 13 ounces (12.9 runs in my mind) on a postal scale, at the post office. Diehli, did you have the slide balanced/centered on the scale? Color me confused but that just seems too light.

Hello: I weighed a bald STI 9mm/38 slide and it weighs 13.5 ozs. I flat topped it and now it weighs 12.8 ozs. A couple more cuts and it will be 10-10.5 ozs :cheers: Thanks, Eric

13.5 is closer to 15 than 9.5. I couldn't remember the exact weight but I did remember about 14 oz on a full slide with no cuts. Take a look at Gans web site, that guy knows where the fat lives on the side. I had a Briley that had a lot of work on the slide, so I took it and the Competitor slide to the smith and said make this fat boy the same weight as that one. So a couple weeks later they were the same weight 9.5 oz. I like my backup gun and primary to be as much alike as possible, I didn't stop there I just kept making changes now the backup is the primary, It is going to the NATS, :goof:

• 2 weeks later...