Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MGM Spinner Targets

I was able to roll the thing in 2 with 00 Buck at the Ozarks. I was very happy.

At some time in the future I hope to be able add some video, when I learn how. Jomar had the best run on the swinger. He was also shooting 00. First shot to the top, second to the bottom, It rocked horizontal. Then as it swung down he hit the bottom again bringing it to a complete stop. He stayed tough and punched it 2 more times to spin it.

Jay

At some time in the future I hope to be able add some video, when I learn how. Jomar had the best run on the swinger. He was also shooting 00. First shot to the top, second to the bottom, It rocked horizontal. Then as it swung down he hit the bottom again bringing it to a complete stop. He stayed tough and punched it 2 more times to spin it.

Jay

What choke did you guys run?

I will say that the Flight Control 00 9 pellet buck did work really well. I spun it in 3 and only because the first shot to the top didnt hit direct. I use a modified choke for all 3 gun in my Benelli. I wish there were more of those targets, but can also understand it can be quite tough to hit with other guns.

Bass

• 2 weeks later...

The best I've seen is one shot with centurion 00 buck with modified choke at close range. I've tried to load my own buck for spinning the thing and I'm not sure it was worth it. Probalby would have been cheaper to shoot more factory buck at them then to try to make the magic buck. The key is to keep hitting the thing at the right moment to keep the momentum going.

Jay

By "best run", Jay meant that it was the most entertaining if not embarrassing run. We were using Federal 00 Buck with 9 pellets and the new flight control wad that makes the pattern tighter. I shot the top plate first with the belief that it would easier to acquire the bottom plate after the first swing. I shot the bottom plate with the second shot and it almost did a complete spin. When the bottom plate swung forward again, I had my head up my @ss and shot the bottom plate again instead of the top plate. The damn thing came to a complete dead stop. I went at it again but shot the bottom plate first and then the top plate and I had that thing spinning like crazy. Watching the video, it spun 4 (and almost 5) complete turns after I shot it.

I'm not a physics professor but I believe now that by shooting the bigger bottom plate first created a bigger momentum than shooting the smaller top plate first. Basically, putting force on the heavier plate first creates a bigger momentum than forcing the lighter plate first which has to move a heavier plate with it. I hope that makes sense.

in this years Ironman travis put one out at 100 yards for the rifle.

I was lucky enough to shoot last in our squad. on average it took 60 + seconds to spin it,

with a 60 second penilty for not spining it.

I took two fast shoots & hit it = engadged the targrt, and moved on.

my time was right with the other shooters in our squad and I saved 30+ rounds of Rifle ammo.

now for shotgun 00 buck magnum 12 pellet over in two. . .every time.

Shotgun slugs at 75 yards. . . know where your slugs go is vitaly important. I think i got it over in 5-6 shots

pistol 40S&W 180 grain. . . 9mm = Good luck

whether you hit the top or bottom first. . . .personaly I go for the larger plate first. . but i have seem others insist that you must hit the top plate first. . . i've never been able to tell a significant advantage either way, but missing it and or hitting the plate as it is swining back to you is NOT a good idea.

now for shotgun 00 buck magnum 12 pellet over in two. . .every time.

I had hell with this ammo on my one and only spinner encounter. I must not have been getting all of my pellets on target. I shot at least 10 rounds maybe 15. I was only putting one one the top and then one on the bottom. Maybe two on each is better/required.

you wouldn't know it by the Ozarky match but I shot one before the match , But I did not shoot it farther than 16 yards. My thought was that they would let us run up on the target, with very limited practice time I shot it a few sets at 16 -14 yards at close distance it can be turned the quickest with a shot to the top and two more as the bottom moves back .

But at longer distance like at Ozk I think shooting the bottom first has its merits.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's me doing one with #6 and a cylinder barrel. I almost screwed up getting it over. I started out good, but them I tried to muscle it and went against the momentum. I got it on my last shell. I now have a SG with a choke which will help but I think I'm going to step up to some size of buckshot for the spinners. It will probably depend on the shot plan of the round.

go to 1:55 My link

Edited by tojan19

Here's me doing one with #6 and a cylinder barrel. I almost screwed up getting it over. I started out good, but them I tried to muscle it and went against the momentum. I got it on my last shell. I now have a SG with a choke which will help but I think I'm going to step up to some size of buckshot for the spinners. It will probably depend on the shot plan of the round.

go to 1:55 My link

Nice videos!

May I ask what comp. you are using?

Your gun does not seem to move at all.

Thanks

Nice videos!

May I ask what comp. you are using?

Your gun does not seem to move at all.

Thanks

The FSC556. It does a pretty good job and little less blow back than a titan or JP. The gun still moves a little, but the JP barrel is heavy at the front and light under the handguard so that helps keep the muzzle down. At the end when prone on the ground under the barrier, I only ate a little dust compared to the guys with a titan or JP. Those really don't move though.

I usually use my carbine and not my 20", the comp works pretty well on that one too.