Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tri Top slide

2alpha

dimensions?

Lots of ways to do it. different angles too.

Lots of different slides out there, that have different slide wall thicknesses. The trick is to leave enough meat on the slide.

I had a slide crack and the gunsmith blamed it on the Tri angle to much material removed..

When you are cutting the top of the slide keep in mind how deep your front sight dovetail needs to be and leave plenty of metal underneath the dovetail cut. Most people cut the top so the flat is as wide as the top of the top of the ejection port.

Pat

From what I've read the cut for the flat top should be .032" to .040" deep.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=127791&highlight=flat

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=230953&highlight=flat

Post #12

I laid it out on ACAD and if my dimensions are correct a .038" deep flat top cut makes the flat .374" wide. Per my ACAD layout if you cut the angled portion at 45 degrees and bring the cut to match the flat top width the angled flats should be .381" wide. Please note I haven't actually made these cuts before, but I have been researching it for my next build. When you cut your slide please let us know what angles and dimensions you use.

post-15325-085650300 1285166597_thumb.jp

I'm not sure if it is right or not, but I cut my tri top at a 45 angle. I cut the flattop to make the flat about .370 wide, then I cut the sides at a 45 until the flats on the side met the flat on the top. Turned out real nice, I'll try and post some pics if I get a chance.

• 2 years later...