Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Yet Another Backpack Thread

Graham Smith

Last fall there were several backpack threads but I haven't seen much for a while and I was wondering if anything new and great had turned up. Besides, most of those threads were people looking for big range bag replacements.

I have a big range bag, a small range bag, a small accessory bag, a decent backpack, and cart, but I keep finding myself wanting something compact on a regular basis. What I would like to find is a small backpack that would hold a water bottle, a snack, some mags and ammo, and a few misc items.

Something like the Maxpedition Remora seems a bit small but it's hard to tell from pictures just what will fit into what.

Suggestions?

Check out the 5.11 Rush/Responder 24. I have a 72 that's often loaded to the point that the first words out of people's mouths when they try to move it are "holy s#!t!" It's lasted 6 months without any signs of wear; I'd destroyed 2 Ogios in the previous 6 months. .

I, too, have the 5.11 Rush 24 and it is the best pack I've ever owned. It will actually hold 10 pounds of shit and yet it is only a 5 pound bag. :lol: I travel a lot and have used it as luggage and I've lugged it around the range all day too. It has done anything that I've asked it to do and still is in great shape. You can stuff it full or just put a few things into it and nothing gets lost due to the well thought out internal and external pockets. I highly recommend it.

Last fall there were several backpack threads but I haven't seen much for a while and I was wondering if anything new and great had turned up. Besides, most of those threads were people looking for big range bag replacements.

I have a big range bag, a small range bag, a small accessory bag, a decent backpack, and cart, but I keep finding myself wanting something compact on a regular basis. What I would like to find is a small backpack that would hold a water bottle, a snack, some mags and ammo, and a few misc items.

Something like the Maxpedition Remora seems a bit small but it's hard to tell from pictures just what will fit into what.

Suggestions?

Vlad's running one of the Maxpedition Gearslingers -- and fitting about what you describe into it....

I'm thinking about one....

Vlad's running one of the Maxpedition Gearslingers -- and fitting about what you describe into it....

The Rush 12 and 24 are way too big for what I'm looking for, I've got a good backpack that size already. The Remora is only about the size of the 5.11 Push pack (about 250 cu in). The Lunada is the next size up at about 400 cu in. That's about the max size I'd want. The Noatak is new and looks interesting: A small main compartment with a small front compartment, are rear compartment that's big enough for a pistol, and a water bottle holder.

Hello: The Maxpedition Jumbo works well as it is big enough for most things. The next size up I would use and still have is the Maxpedition Falcon II. It is a great day pack for hiking and will fit all you will ever need. You can add drink bottle holders and other stuff. You can also add a drink bladder inside of it. Works great on a motorcycle as well. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

The Sitka is between the Noatak and the Lunada in size and more expensive than either one. The Falcon is too large, I've already got a bag that size and need something smaller.

A fellow suggested I look at a Camelbak Mule. It looks like it might be about the right size (600 cu in) for what I need and has a water bladder included for around $70 and they can be found in a lot of sporting goods stores.

I have a MULE. It's built very sturdy, and I don't think you could ever overload it to the point of something breaking. It is a small pack. The pouch for the bladder has much more storage than the other compartments combined. Anything more than some bug spray, a couple snack bars, cell phone, and a few spare pistol mags and it's not going to be big enough to carry your load.

Based on your description of what you're looking for it might just be perfect. It does have molle webbing on the outside if you needed to add another pouch for something.

Based on your description of what you're looking for it might just be perfect. It does have molle webbing on the outside if you needed to add another pouch for something.

I went shopping yesterday afternoon. Found a MULE at Eastern Mountain for $90 and it looks to be a great size for what I want. Went to a bike shop in the same complex and they were out but had some coming in over the weekend and on sale for $65 so I put a deposit on one.

Like I said, I've got a decent mid-sized pack so I really needed something small because that's usually half empty and half the stuff in it doesn't need to be there well over half the time. So, that means it's 4 times too large more than half the time?

• 2 years later...

Just a follow up to this a couple years later...

The MULE turned out to be a fairly good size, but the arrangement of things meant that it was not quite so good as a range bag. The main problem was that the ammo ended up at the bottom of a long thin compartment and I basically had to dig everything out to reload.

From there, I went to a HAWG which had more room and made it much easier to work from and I could put everything in there I needed. But it still ends up with the ammo at the bottom of a long thin compartment and I still end up dragging a bunch of stuff out. That said, as a backpack, it's still one of the best I've seen in a long time. Room enough for a couple days worth of stuff.

With the holiday sales going on, I'm shopping again. This time I'm looking for something with a single shoulder strap that will go on and off without interfering with my pistol. In the Maxpedition line, this would be a Jumbo Versipack or Sitka Gearslinger. Comparing size is a bit tricky since they are not consistent in how they list their specs, but the Versipack seems to be about 425 cu in while the Sitka is 618 cu in

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone using either of these as a range bag.

Hello: As I stated above the Jumbo works very well. They make it in many styles now. If that is too large look at the Fatboy. I am looking at backpacks/messenger bags again to use for a range bag on a motorcycle. Something small like you want. I loaned the Jumbo out and will not see it anytime soon :surprise: They like it that much. Thanks, Eric

Have you looked at the Maxpedition messenger bags, Eric? The small one is larger than the Jumbo Versipack and the Sitka Gearslinger.

Hello: Yes, I have looked at the smaller messenger bag. I think it is the Larksberg(sp). I like the inside that is all velcro and there are some nice velcro parts you can add to the inside. I have a velcro backed mag holder I got from Shooters Connection that would work well with it. It will also hold my gun bag/rug inside. They also have a velcro molle insert that would hold my Maxpedition drink holder as well. I looked at one at nationals at American Shooters and it is a good size-not too big or small. Maxpedition stuff is kinda on the small size on some of there stuff. I like the idea that it looks like a man purse more than a gun bag :roflol: Thanks, Eric

I had a Maxpedition Malaga that I used as a dad diaper bag for a while. Hated it. Just like a range bag the diaper bag got heavy fast. I found the single shoulder strap to be a pain even though it was well padded. We trekked around New York city for two days and I stopped using it after that. My suggestion: If you are considering a sling bag i would try one out first. I'm actually selling my Malaga to get a Maxpedition back pack (two straps) to use as a range bag.

I have used sling bags before and am aware of the issues, but bear in mind that this is not an all day hike. If it were I have my HAWG bag, which has double straps. And for a longer trip, I have a larger backpack which doubles for me now as a weekend bag and will fit in an overhead compartment in a plane if I am flying.

The Jumbo and Sitka are both small enough to hold some ammo, mags, a small tool kit, some food, a 32oz bottle and have some room to spare for misc stuff. Both also have a pocket that will hold a pistol, altho in the case of the Sitka, it's actually intended for a water bladder.

The Jumbo may be a bit small, but it all depends on what all I try and bring with me. I generally find that with a larger bag, I tend to bring stuff I really don't need. On the other hand, when the need arises I hate having to go back to the car for something. But that's actually a different topic.