Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XD9 Tactical Extractor Problems

Rangertim

I shot the Mid Atlantic Sectional this past weekend (great match and thank you staff!) shooting my XD9 in production. The first stage was a 4sec fixed time and the gun ran fine. The 2nd stage however....I had 4 failure to extracts over a 32rd stage!! I tore the gun apart, cleaned and lubed it again finding no large debris. And on the next stage had 2 more FTEs. That's when I called it quits and finished the match with my XD9 sub compact backup gun.

For every FTE, the extractor would pull the spent case out about half way and then slip off the edge. It would then of course try to load the next round and jam. Requiring me to lock the slide, remove the mag, shake the brass out, and reload. I have had this happen on rare occassion at the range but never with this kind of frequency. I was shooting 115gr Federal factory ammo. Has anyone else out there ran into this problem with their XD? I have never stripped it completely apart and am not familiar with the complete inner workings of the slide, striker, springs, etc. The extractor is not broken, chipped, or worn in any unusual way that I can see. Could it be something as simple as replacing a spring? The only custom work ever done on the gun was a 3# trigger job by Spring Precision and Dawson Adjustable sights.

Desperately hoping someone with a little more experience than myself can help out. Thanks!

I shot the Mid Atlantic Sectional this past weekend (great match and thank you staff!) shooting my XD9 in production. The first stage was a 4sec fixed time and the gun ran fine. The 2nd stage however....I had 4 failure to extracts over a 32rd stage!! I tore the gun apart, cleaned and lubed it again finding no large debris. And on the next stage had 2 more FTEs. That's when I called it quits and finished the match with my XD9 sub compact backup gun.

For every FTE, the extractor would pull the spent case out about half way and then slip off the edge. It would then of course try to load the next round and jam. Requiring me to lock the slide, remove the mag, shake the brass out, and reload. I have had this happen on rare occassion at the range but never with this kind of frequency. I was shooting 115gr Federal factory ammo. Has anyone else out there ran into this problem with their XD? I have never stripped it completely apart and am not familiar with the complete inner workings of the slide, striker, springs, etc. The extractor is not broken, chipped, or worn in any unusual way that I can see. Could it be something as simple as replacing a spring? The only custom work ever done on the gun was a 3# trigger job by Spring Precision and Dawson Adjustable sights.

Desperately hoping someone with a little more experience than myself can help out. Thanks!

The only time I have seen extraction and ejection issues on XD's when they were almost completely dry of lube.

I would say to get directions on how to detail strip the gun and completely clean it top to bottom lube it like you normally would, and then do some test fires and see what happens. If it continues to happen *heavily lube the gun* and then test fire it some more and see if it continues to happen after that. :) If it happens when the gun is "visibly wet" with oil or grease then call Springfield.

I have had a couple of people I shoot with just put dots of oil on the XD after cleaning it and that is just not enough oil/lube. One friend that insisted that two drops of oil was enough.... to prove the point we *doused* his slide in oil, put the gun back together and fired over 100 rounds. Suddenly his gun ran like a top....A oily top, but it worked! :roflol: He ordered some Enos slide Glide the next day :D

Side note:

I can't say enough good things about Slide Glide. I use it on ALL of my pistols and rifles. When I help friends/show friends how to clean their guns, I use the slide glide on them and they all comment on how smooth it feels later and how easy it is to clean later on as well. :D

I've run into this previously, not due to a "dry" gun, but due to light loads, barely making minor. At PF 135+, I haven't encountered the problem. I've heard others say that the gun seems to like "hot" loads. My 4" was far less fussy with the extraction; the 5" certainly seems to do better at a higher power factor (slide is a bit heavier, needs more "oomph" to cycle?).

I've run into this previously, not due to a "dry" gun, but due to light loads, barely making minor. At PF 135+, I haven't encountered the problem. I've heard others say that the gun seems to like "hot" loads. My 4" was far less fussy with the extraction; the 5" certainly seems to do better at a higher power factor (slide is a bit heavier, needs more "oomph" to cycle?).

+1 due to light loads.

Had it this weekend, on 3 out of 5 stages. It was def change in "Boom" whne they would fire and not even make the slide come back. it was not every round just whenever, 2 in a row, 1 outta 10, etc. And yes I use/love slide glide and it was lubed. Just all due to weak powder charges. I have ran my xd40 service down to 126pf with no problems(all fact springs)

+1 due to light loads.

Had it this weekend, on 3 out of 5 stages. It was def change in "Boom" whne they would fire and not even make the slide come back. it was not every round just whenever, 2 in a row, 1 outta 10, etc. And yes I use/love slide glide and it was lubed. Just all due to weak powder charges. I have ran my xd40 service down to 126pf with no problems(all fact springs)

I guess that would make sense. It doesn't happen on every round. Shooting Federal 115gr I'm makin about 135PF. The same loads run fine through my XD9 sub-compact. Would changing the recoil spring to a lighter weight potentially take care of this problem? I really hope because I loaded 4K 115gr MG bullets over 4.4gr titegroup and they make 133PF.

I agree that it could be light loads *but* the OP did say that they were shooting Federal 115gr rounds and not reloads So I moved onto the other common thing I have seen on quite a few XD's in both 9mm and .40

On federals site they are stating that those bullets should be hitting ~1180fps so it should be right around 135 to 136 PF. I have shot those same bullets out of my brand new M&P pro 5" and a Beretta 92FS 5" and had no FTE issues so while it is possible, I personally would doubt it.... but, I have been known to be wrong before and it is easy to check. :cheers:

To eliminate it being "weak ammo" go buy some 9mm 124gr surplus NATO rounds or some good name brand Self defense loads and shoot them. The NATO rounds will be much cheaper though and should be hot enough to make the difference and eliminate it if it is weak ammo.

I would check for carbon build up between the extractor and the slide. That will cause the extractor to have less travel and not catch the shell correctly.

After my first stage with problems I did just that. stripped it down and thouroughly cleaned that area as it is was I suspected. That's why I was suprised when it happened again on the next stage. Thanks though.

• 3 weeks later...

RangerTim,

Did you ever resolve the problem? I am a little late in the game but did you ever contact Springfield? Please give them a try because they stand behind thier products but they can't fix something if they don't know about it. Another great sourse is of course Scott Springer of Springer Precision of which you are familure with.

I don't think it is an ammo problem IMHO, perhaps an extractor/tension problem. If your other gun runs the ammo fine then look somewhere else. Other advice above is pretty spot on and Waynes_World is great...but I would let either Springfield or Scott Springer have a shot!

I have this deal with manufactures and gunsmiths, they make or improve my gun...and I shoot them. Alot of times I'm my own worst enemy!

Get us an update when you find a fix.

Sincerely,

RLTW,

SGM ® Scott Hawkins

1. your problem has nothing to with amount of lube -- running the gun wet is as idiotic as running it dry.

2. your problem has nothing to do with dirt in the extractor groove -- unless you dropped the slide into the dirt and didn't clean it out.

3. it is nearly impossible to run a lighter recoil spring successfully with the XD slide. while they will run well in the beginning, they (lighter recoil springs) will fatigue quickly. you will need to have the slide lightened to run one continuously. i have had lighter springs being to fatigue in as few as 500 rounds.

4. your problem is too light a load. period.

1. your problem has nothing to with amount of lube -- running the gun wet is as idiotic as running it dry.

2. your problem has nothing to do with dirt in the extractor groove -- unless you dropped the slide into the dirt and didn't clean it out.

3. it is nearly impossible to run a lighter recoil spring successfully with the XD slide. while they will run well in the beginning, they (lighter recoil springs) will fatigue quickly. you will need to have the slide lightened to run one continuously. i have had lighter springs being to fatigue in as few as 500 rounds.

I would think that having it happen with Winchester, Remington, and Federal factory ammo along with my reloads would infer it isn't the ammo. Really don't want to shoot 9 major just to get it to cycle 100% of the time. :(

Well I got my slide back and shot it at an all classifier match today. I was a bit worried having not had the chance to test fire it since getting it back from Springer Precision. They replaced the extractor and tuned it up. Ran 100%. Not the ammo, not the mags, not the recoil spring. The extractor. Thanks to Scott at Springer and all who work there. I appreciate the great work!

oh man my old xdm9 with 25,000 rounds through it i talked to SA and was like:

'hey my extractor is kind of wobbly, you think i could send it in for some warranty service?'

the lady gives me an RMA, i box it and drop it off at the FedEx hub by the airport on a Wednesday...then TUESDAY OF THE FOLLOWING WEEK the gun is at my door with a nice shiny, stiff silver colored new extractor in it, with a bit of soot on it indicating they ripped a few rounds through the gun just to make sure it was good.

thats what i call service.

The gun: XD-9 service model bought in 2006.

I had run 15,000 + or - factory rounds (Blazer, winchester, remington, speers, etc.)and not one failure of any kind. Then I started to load my own and around 17,000 (mostly 4.2 to 4.4 W-231 with MG or zeros) i started to experience FTE. Went back to proven factory loads and still one to two FTE's per 50 rounds.

After checking everything talked about here I called Springfield and they happily sent me a free trip to their facility to inspect having told me they will replace the extractor.

Now the reason I write. Shortly before this experience I had taken about a dozen+ empty casings with primers (casulties of a new loader), hand feed them into the chamber and let the slide slam shut like I was loading a round feed by the mag. I now wonder if the extractor slamming over the case head may have damaged the extractor. Facts for thought.

Happy trails,

#1 - not really

#2 - could be

#3 - agreed 100%

#4 - guess not...see #3..a too light or fatigued recoil spring will cause the slide to not come into full battery and fail to fire