Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 550 high primers

I recently decided to clean under the shell plate since it was feeling a little grungy. Ater taking the bolt out and cleaning the shell plate and ram, I put everything back together. I tightened everything down, loosened the bolt just enough to be able to turn the index star, then tightened everything back up.

I tried it out and started getting high prmers. I couldn't get the primers to seat below flush as it had been doing before. I tried snugging the bolt down a hair too see if it would help. No such luck.

I noticed the shell plate had quite a bit of flex. More so than before. No matter what I do, the shell plate just flexes and gives me primrs that are not below flush.

Has anyone had this issue and fixed it?

Thanks.

Tighten the shellplate completely down until it stops, then back it up 1/16 to 1/8 turn. Then snug the brass-tipped set screw on the side of the shaft to lock it in place. Be sure the shellplate is installed rightside up- the number is on the top.

The shell plate is installed correctly with the number up. I tried installing as suggested above but when I only turn the bolt back that much, the index star hits/rubs the ejector spring.

Not sure why I can't get back to how it was before?? Is there some sort of spacer I'm missing or can install?

The shell plate is installed correctly with the number up. I tried installing as suggested above but when I only turn the bolt back that much, the index star hits/rubs the ejector spring.

Not sure why I can't get back to how it was before?? Is there some sort of spacer I'm missing or can install?

The "ejector goes "between" the shell plate and the indexing star. It is adjustable up and down so it doesn't rub. Use a screwdriver to pry it up or tap it down so it doesn't rub...

JT

One of the drawbacks to tearing these things apart. They have to be put back together exactly like they were before. If you read enough posts like this it seems the common denominator was tearing the machine apart.

Should be an easy fix. Good luck.

Ahhh ok. Thank you Sarge.

Here are a couple pics I took with my phone last night of how it looks now.

Click on the link I put in my post! Never mind....

Here is a link to the owners manual for the 550...

http://www.dillonhelp.com/manuals/english/Dillon-RL550B-Manual-May-2007.pdf

read it.

post-18733-019711900 1284497074_thumb.jp

Edited by GrumpyOne

Had the same problem, found that one of the screws (14530 ) that attach the Roller Bracket Assembly, part number 14280, found on page 5 of instruction manual had worked it self loose and acted like a stop when you tryed to seat the primer...

• 2 months later...

I have also had a problem almost like this, my star was under the ejector wire but would loosen cause i did not properly tighten the brass tip, the plate should index smoothly sort of speak. If it doesnt index its cause its not properly set eather too tight or loose and the center bolt needs to be adjusted and if it has been tighten to its proper seting you gotta make sure the brass tip is now tighten to keep the star plate from comin off its propper setting.. over time and a few 100 ed loads it might need to be tighten..