Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where Do Yall Mount Your Red Dots On Your Ar?

kdmoore

Thought I'd tap into the great experience pool here. How are your red dots set up on your competition rifles?

You mounting on reciever (A3), Carry handle(A2) or out over the hand guard (A3) or on a gooseneck (A2/A3). Guess it will be most helpful if you list your optic too?

How many are shooting dot only, vs cowitnessing with irons/BUIS?

I could be wrong, but I have yet to see anyone in the top 10 of any major match use co-witnessing sights. They are few and far between.

I've shot with a red dot only at one major match (SMM3G) and I used a Holosight mounted on the receiver. I won the short range stage and had all the guys with ACOGs beat me up on the longer shots. Not very surprising. Mike Voigt used this sight to win the North American Tactical which has a lot of close up shots. That is the only match where I would consider going red dot only.

For an open gun, I use an Aimpoint as a backup/close-range sight at 2 o'clock on my handguard.

NEVER mount your dot on the carrying handle. It is way up there, leading to:

1) poor cheek weld; 2) zero problems; and 3) shooting props, hostages and not being able to see thru low ports.

Kdmoore.... a Bushnell Holo on a flat top worked well two years ago.... a 1.5 x 16 ACOG on a flat top this year and last.... the 1/2 power helps old eyes, and amber triangle works well up close with a wide field of view.... replaced the collapsable stock, with a VN era A1 short stock.... get a much better cheek weld than with the collapsable, and both sights index well for height mounted on the rail....around here the guys using a C More tend to mount them further forward towards the handguard.....had a backup sight for the Holo, cut the front sight tower off when I mounted the ACOG so I now have no backup... regards

I have mine mounted on the scope tube, its at the same height as the scope so its easy to find, just roll the gun a few degrees and its there

26282886-454e-02000182-.jpg

But as Kelly point out you need to know the zero because of its height above the barrel. I have mine sighted in a 25 yards so I know as I get closer the point of impact will be lower.

I think the only reason to have "cowitnessed" irons sights with the red dot is on a defensive too ... and of course, many of us have ARs that do double duty in that regard and as game guns.

If it's a game gun only ... no real point in it.

I used low scope mounts, which I attached to the top of a 1.75-6x scope, with the bases pointing up. (About 3 inches apart).

I joined them together with a small weaver rail that was drilled to accept a C-More.

The cheek weld is perfect for the scope, and if I lift my head up to a normal position, the dot is right there. I zero it for 25yds. The view, is very much like that of an open pistol.

There is a parallax error, but it's easy to compensate.

(I have a good picture if someone can host it for me)

After trying several things with limited success, I have settled on a JPoint on the handguard because it gets the dot so close to the bore centerline that the "point of aim" to "point of impact" offset is now less than 1.5" on point blank stuff. I'm liking that!

BTW, I was out in the boonies with a couple MGM flash targets recently and had a chance to try the dot at a few interesting distances. It was a gimme at around a hundred yards with the dot (4 MOA JPoint), easy at 150, getting iffy at 200 and downright mean at 250. Didn't even try 300 with the dot. This was offhand taking my own sweet time.

--

Regards,

My short range gun has a C-More mounted directly on the flat-top in the front most position. It has a 4 moa dot and I can hit steel well to 150 yds. My other gun is set up with a 1-4 scope in an Armalite mount, no dot currently used although I tried a dot on the handguard and removed it as it seemed slow to be rolling the gun. I just run the scope @ 1x on close courses.

When I had my JP, there was a Ultima just above the Weaver 2-9. I really liked that set up. All I needed to do to transition from long range, to close in targets was change my cheek weld on the stock. The Ultima was just the right hieght for where I would naturally hold the rifle while sweeping, or searching for targets. This was especially good for shooting on the moove, since it was always hard for me to keep my cheek solid to the stock while on the moove.

You responded, I listened, and want to say thanks. I'll look to mount the optic right on the flat top, skip the A2 config, skip the BUIS. Doesn't sound like anyone suggested to move it foward on the handguard.

Suggestions for a 1.5x would be appreciated so I can compare them to the dots I'm considering now. I know of the ACOGs, but don't want to spend that much. What are other worthy options? I'm not hard on my equipment, so it doesn't need to be military grade.

Leupold Vari-X II 1-4X20mm (or the new VX-II equivalent).

Second choice would be the Pentax 1.5-5X I currently have on my little CZ 452 .22.

I'd also like to try that Trijicon Accupoint 1.25-4X24mm, but I suspect it's a bit more spendy than I'd like.

Edited by rhino

• 4 weeks later...

I don't understand why anyone wants to shoot a dot. A low powered variable scope will do the same thing a dot will do for close range & you will never need more than 4 or 5 power in this game. See thru rings work the best for proper scope to cheek mounting. :D

As for the dot, I like them mounted well forward and to cowitness. One benefit of cowitnessing optics is the ability to check the zero without firing a shot if the optic gets whacked. It obviously has other benefits on a real world rifle.

The low power variable, however, is best for all around use as has been previously stated. It's good in all situations and ranges.

114740.JPG