Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Witness Elite Match Diet?

nbraybrook

Ok so I wanted to shoot IDPA with my witness elite match. I threw it on a scale today to see if it would meet the weight requirement. It is reading 44.1 oz which is over the limit for the ESP weight class. I need ideas on how to lighting it up, grips anything. Do they sell a plastic guide rod for witnesses? That would lighten it up quite a bit.

I think the walnut grips weigh less. I swapped out the crappy stock rubber for the walnut.

Also you could shave a tiny bit by removing the firing pin block ( if that is allowed) and switching to the Henning firing pin.

For IDPA removing the firing pin block isnt allowed :( I think if I could find a plastic or aluminum guide rod and maybe some wood grips that might be enough to drop it. I know the steel guide rod is 1oz alone. Or lighten the mags some how the stock mags are almost 4 oz.

The walnut grips weigh .66 oz, as a pair. I have older Supersight versions of the Match in .40 and 9mm. The 9 weighs over an ounce more than the .40, and the 9 is right on the edge of making weight for ESP with the Henning aluminum grips.

Thanks! You think hennings aluminum grips weigh less than the walnut?

The Henning grips are heavier than wood, but I think they are lighter than the rubber grips. I know my Match (2005 production, no-rail with Supersight) 9mm weighs 43.02 oz with the Henning grips and an empty mag.

I emailed Robert Ray @ IDPA headquarters about the same thing last year before the FL State match. He gave a thumbs up to grinding off the rail or shortening the dust cover to lose weight, since this is not considered "slide lightening" and provides no competative advantage. I would send him an email to confirm this and have a copy with you prior to a sanctioned match to avoid a DQ for weight. Or do what I did, and just buy a second Match without the rail and fill it with Henning goodness.....

Kevin

They are available, but might take some looking depending on what caliber you want. I'd highly recommend looking for an older supersighted version...

Do they still sell the model without rails? I really think if I can get a lighter guide rod and grips I will make the cut, Cheaper than buying a whole other gun.

I think they are only making rail guns, which would suck a little less if they actually updated the dealers and websights, On my recommendation a friend bought a witness, no mention was made of rail until it arrived. Oh and just wonderful, no holsters anywhere that will fit.

I think they are only making rail guns, which would suck a little less if they actually updated the dealers and websights, On my recommendation a friend bought a witness, no mention was made of rail until it arrived. Oh and just wonderful, no holsters anywhere that will fit.

Bladetech does make the StingRay and DOH to fit the Witness with rail. It is a standard option from BT and you just to wait about a month to get one. I am also working with a leather holstermaker to make thw Witness w/rail a standard item. I'm trying to make it worth his while and make the holsters a little more available. My link

This started about a year and a half ago, at that time no one had holsters, also no mention was made from EAA about the switch to all rail frames, If I had been present when she picked up the gun I would have refused to accept it as it wasnt the gun she ordered. I really loath pistols with rails and have no use for them, but I guess they are the fad now so everyone has jumped on the bandwagon.

pivoproseem, since it seems like you have all 3, in terns of thickness, not weight, how do the walnut grips compare to the rubber ones? or even the hennings? I find my rubber ones too thick and would love something thinner, and I hear henning is thinnest, but wow! pricey.