Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Removing Firing Pin Block

nbraybrook

The following modifications are NOT ALLOWED IN ANY

DIVISION unless otherwise specifically mentioned.

A. Compensators of any type including hybrid or ported

barrels.

B. Add-on weights for a competitive advantage (this includes,

but is not limited to, weighted magazines, tungsten guide rods,

brass magazine wells, weighted grips).

C. Heavy and/or cone style barrels without a barrel bushing.

D. Sights of non-standard configuration (i.e. Ghost rings, Bo-

Mar rib, etc.).

E. Disconnection or disabling of any safety device on any gun.

F. Lights mounted on guns.

I know of one person that was DQ’ed for having a series 80 slide on a series 70 pistol. With out the corresponding series 80 parts in the frame he had to remove them from the slide so the gun could fire.

Same goes for removing magazine disconnect safeties, even if you can buy the same model without it, you can’t remove it.

I know of one person that was DQ’ed for having a series 80 slide on a series 70 pistol. With out the corresponding series 80 parts in the frame he had to remove them from the slide so the gun could fire.

Same goes for removing magazine disconnect safeties, even if you can buy the same model without it, you can’t remove it.

who might that be?

• 4 weeks later...

I compete in a local club on college grounds on a college range (indoor).

I compete with a Kimber Pro Carry converted to 10mm, bobtailed, with the firing pin safety removed.

They know about it and allow it. But they are more about casual competition and not about hard and fast. They are not an official IDPA club, but are based on the rules, with local modification of some. They pick and choose what is enforced. From the quoted list above, they enforce all except the safety device one and they only allow a S80 type 1911 to be rendered S70 type. That's the line.

Do you know how that was discovered? Hard to imagine the SO at the chrono station disassembling every gun to see if all the firing pin locks are there.

On a Kimber or Series 80 Colt you can see if the plunger is present for the firing pin block safety with the slide locked back.

They were looking at Nationals. He also checked my grip and thumb safety. God forbid someone's thumb safety is disabled. The others are just rule points not real safety issue.

who might that be?

I can't say but I can tell you that the hole can be welded up and machined so you cannot tell it was ever there.

I guess you better weld up the lettering on the side of the slide where it says "series 80" if you want to pull that one off. :P

I guess you better weld up the lettering on the side of the slide where it says "series 80" if you want to pull that one off.

Not anything that I own but many slides don't have "80" on them and have the hole. I just know of one that did...that doesn't.

I guess you better weld up the lettering on the side of the slide where it says "series 80" if you want to pull that one off.

Not anything that I own but many slides don't have "80" on them and have the hole. I just know of one that did...that doesn't.

If a series 70 has no FP safety how does an 80 slide remove any safety device not inherent to the gun? The gun is still a series 70 by every definition of a firearm.

IANRR :D