Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What division would you shoot

Strick

I am mainly an IDPA shooter but I like all sports and shoot USPSA whenever I get the chance. I have only been shooting production but since my IDPA gun is a 1911 9mm I am switching back and forth.

If you were in this situation would you stick with the same gun and shoot SS minor, use a .45 and shoot SS major, get something for Limited or stick to production. I keep racking my brain over this because I am a MA level IDPA shooter and am pretty competitive there and don't want that to suffer while getting trigger time and more competitive in USPSA. I am also the kind of guy that doesn't just want to shoot USPSA, I want to be competitive and elevate my game there as well.

I use the same plateform but different calibers when I switch from USPSA to IDPA to Steel. If I'm shooting SS in USPSA I use a SS in .40. When I go to IDPA I use a 9mm and the same for steel. When I'm shooting Limited I use a .40 STI. In IDPA I us a 9mm eagle and the same for steel.

If you really want to put the hammer down use one gun and only one gun. I've several of the local guys learn to do that and they have really started to progress.

Shoot single stack minor with your ESP gun, or shoot SSP with your production gun. I went from SSP uncl, to SSP/ex in about 3 months by just focusing on one gun. Now Im working on ESP, and if I go shoot USPSA, it will be Single Stack minor for me to avoid switching back and forth.

I use the same plateform but different calibers when I switch from USPSA to IDPA to Steel. If I'm shooting SS in USPSA I use a SS in .40. When I go to IDPA I use a 9mm and the same for steel. When I'm shooting Limited I use a .40 STI. In IDPA I us a 9mm eagle and the same for steel.

If you really want to put the hammer down use one gun and only one gun. I've several of the local guys learn to do that and they have really started to progress.

You don't find any problems switching calibers and power factor?

Shoot single stack minor with your ESP gun, or shoot SSP with your production gun. I went from SSP uncl, to SSP/ex in about 3 months by just focusing on one gun. Now Im working on ESP, and if I go shoot USPSA, it will be Single Stack minor for me to avoid switching back and forth.

That will make your ESP game better but its gonna hurt on those USPSA classifiers.

That will make your ESP game better but its gonna hurt on those USPSA classifiers.

I know.. but not if you shoot A's. ;)

I'm kind of in the opposite situation from the OP. I primarily shoot USPSA, but because I like shooting sports in general I also shoot IDPA, Steel Challenge, and 3-gun. Up until now I've primarily been using a 1911 in .45 acp for everything. Fortunately there are divisions in USPSA and IDPA where the .45 fits into well, maybe a little less than ideal for Steel Challenge due to the caliber, and somewhat capacity-challenged for 3-gun. But I'm making it work.

To me it all depends on what you're trying to accomplish. Steel Challenge is for practice, IDPA is for fun, and 3-gun is for even more fun. USPSA is where I want to play for real marbles and try to be the most competitive. But if I wanted to be competitive in all four shooting sports, I would probably start getting a specific gun for each Div/sport and set them up that way. i.e. 9 mm 1911 for IDPA-ESP and SC. .40 STI 2011 for USPSA-Limited, IDPA-ESP, and 3-gun. .45 1911 for USPSA-SSTK and IDPA CDP.

One pistol if you're just dabbling in the other sports for fun. At least 3 pistols if you're wanting to be competitive in all four.

One pistol if you're just dabbling in the other sports for fun. At least 3 pistols if you're wanting to be competitive in all four.

Yeah that is kinda what I keep thinking.

I have been shooting Production basically because last year I was shooting an M&P. Now that I am shooting a 1911 in IDPA production seems to making less sense. I get frustrated just showing up at a match just to "play".

There are not a lot of people shooting Single Stack minor but I think those that do prove that you can be competitive. http://www.1911ssc.o...gle%20Stack.txt

There might be a lot of people shooting Minor SS but there aren't a lot of people winning doing it.

I don't see a minor score shooter in the top 5? Sure 3 guys shooting minor beat me. Thats 3 guys shooting minor in the top 50, 6 in the top 100. I think I'll stick to shooting Major unless you have the same skills as the likes of Koenig and Norris.

Regardless this isn't a thread about minor/major in SS. If your want to have the best advantage in a division I think you need the right tool for it. Minor/Major SS is a decision you'll have to make if you want to go that route but its an option for you to shoot SS minor and ESP with the same gun. Just remember the classifier percentages in SS are the same as the ones in L10 and most of those are the same as Limited and there aren't a lot of people shooting Limited minor setting the high hit factors on those classifiers.

If getting a new gun is an option, get a Major scoring caliber single action for limited or single stack. Otherwise, the minor Single stack might not hurt you too bad in local matches.

If I shoot SS major I have the gun for that, just need another mag or 2 and more pouches.

Getting a new gun is always a good option though. ;)

There is always the option of CDP and SS. I guess it comes down to me deciding what division will be the most enjoyable/rewarding to shoot in USPSA. SS is good but the only drawback is number of shooters, that takes some of the fun out of it...IMO.

Then SS Major and ESP. Atleast it will be the same platform.. but.. if you NEED a new gun..

STI Eagle in .40.. shoot major in limited, and minor in ESP. Can you get 10rds in the IDPA legal 126mm mags ?:devil:

We can spend your money easily and justify almost any new gun purchase.. :cheers:

If getting a new gun is an option, get a Major scoring caliber single action for limited or single stack. Otherwise, the minor Single stack might not hurt you too bad in local matches.

If I shoot SS major I have the gun for that, just need another mag or 2 and more pouches.

Getting a new gun is always a good option though. ;)

There is always the option of CDP and SS. I guess it comes down to me deciding what division will be the most enjoyable/rewarding to shoot in USPSA. SS is good but the only drawback is number of shooters, that takes some of the fun out of it...IMO.

Sounds like you've got it solved. SS major for USPSA SSTK, L-10 and CDP; SS minor for ESP , SC, and even 3-gun. Mags and pouches are the easy part. CDP attracts a fair number of shooters in my area, but for some reason the same can't be said for SS in USPSA. Not sure why. I agree though, be nicer to have a bigger pool of competitors. Which is why I think I'm going to shoot Limited for a while and see where that takes me. But to do that, need that 2011 unless I can come to terms with the trigger on my G35. Oh darn.

Cheers!

I had exactly the same issue a while back. I started with a Glock for SSP and production and then wanted to shoot a 9mm 1911 in ESP. I really felt lost in USPSA. Not a lot of single stack guys in my neck of the woods and I didn't like shooting minor. I wound up back with the Glock. In fact, I compared both guns and my times were no faster with the 1911 anyway.

If I had do do it all over again and was set on a 1911 I would buy one in .40 and load to major for single stack/limited 10 and minor for ESP. Better yet if I had the money I would go with the STI Eagle in .40 and shoot Limited and ESP.

Sounds like you've got it solved.

Cheers!

Let's not get to carried away. :wacko:

Better yet if I had the money I would go with the STI Eagle in .40 and shoot Limited and ESP.

I keep running that through my head also. Of course that means getting my reloaded setup for .40, sourcing some brass and bulltes, and developing 2 different loads that will work well in the same gun. Still an intriguing idea.

I guess it comes down to me deciding what division will be the most enjoyable/rewarding to shoot in USPSA. SS is good but the only drawback is number of shooters, that takes some of the fun out of it...IMO.

It sounds to me that you would enjoy going after the competition. That is going to vary from club to club and region to region. See where the local big dogs shoot and get into that division.

Just remember the classifier percentages in SS are the same as the ones in L10 and most of those are the same as Limited and there aren't a lot of people shooting Limited minor setting the high hit factors on those classifiers.

Corey,

the people setting the high hit factors on classifiers aren't dropping a bunch of Charlies doing it....

Sure, if your goal is the division win, shoot major in any major scored division. If your goal is to win your class, probably the same advice. If you're not in contention for either, or are more interested in seeing what changes from match to match in terms of where you place, then pick one and practice....

It sounds to me that you would enjoy going after the competition. That is going to vary from club to club and region to region. See where the local big dogs shoot and get into that division.

Yep, nothing builds improvement like a sound butt whoopin. :goof:

Hello: If you like shooting the single stack 9mm in IDPA then use your 45 for single stack in USPSA :cheers: That way you will be shooting the gun that feels the same or almost the same. If you like shooting your SSP gun in IDPA then shoot Production in IDPA. I shoot Glocks , 1911's(9mm,40,45) and 2011's for Limited and Open. For IDPA I like my Glock 34 in SSP and ESP. My 1911 9mm for ESP and my 1911 45 for CDP. I have been known to use a Revolver once in a while as well :devil: Saying all that shoot single stack since you will learn to reload quickly. Thanks, Eric