Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Comp Works By.......

old shooter

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So....get the comp off the barrel. Or, get it off the "moving" parts of the gunworks.

???

I don't think it matters much when the slide is going forwards, what is on the other end of the barrel. You've still gotta strip a round off a potentially crammed-full big magazine up under the extractor and into the chamber every time. That takes work, and that work is driven by recoil (excepting of course the very few gas-operated Open guns, which have problems of their own)

So....get the comp off the barrel. Or, get it off the "moving" parts of the gunworks.

???

I don't think it matters much when the slide is going forwards, what is on the other end of the barrel. You've still gotta strip a round off a potentially crammed-full big magazine up under the extractor and into the chamber every time. That takes work, and that work is driven by recoil (excepting of course the very few gas-operated Open guns, which have problems of their own)

Have you shot a 'Blow Back' gun? kind of interesting ... one of my buds has one that you could try probably.

I've always thought the gas gun idea had some merit...they do work in other platforms.

http://www.ncggasgun.com/ultimate_9x23.htm

Nice link ... the blow-back gun that Stuart has was builti n 1985+ or - It would not meet Minor

I would rather shoot my S&W mod 41 :mellow: I think the PF is close to the same as a rimfire.

Edited by AlamoShooter

I've never shot one of the IPSC gas-converted 1911s with anything close to a Major load. People that have said it shot very harsh. Presumably that could be remedied somewhat with careful tuning and a good comp, but there seems to be a reason there aren't any popular gas pistols around (the P7 is a somewhat different design in that it's gas-retarded rather than operated).

I'm guessing that reason might be that what we have now works well enough. Not many people can pull splits under 0.09 on any target, yet a recoil-operated 1911 cycles 30% faster than that.

Last time I saw a gas-operated pistol tried in IPSC it failed. Horribly. Would not run. Can you say "bolt action". I don't know if there was a fundamental flaw in the Wolf pistol, or something, but it wasn't happy about old Major. Watching Doug K shoot that thing at the '97 Nationals was just plain old painful..... :(

I understand it was very accurate, with the fixed barrel and all, but....

i dont see gas operated pistols taking over anytime soon...though gas operated shotguns shoot softer than the recoil operated ones...they seem to cycle slower too..Just MHO.

if someone could come up with a small, strong and simple gas operated pistol design it might catch on...with adjustable gas pressure, the recoil spring could be as light an needed to chamber a round off a fully loaded magazine..

dont see it happening though..

i dont see gas operated pistols taking over anytime soon...though gas operated shotguns shoot softer than the recoil operated ones...they seem to cycle slower too..Just MHO.

if someone could come up with a small, strong and simple gas operated pistol design it might catch on...with adjustable gas pressure, the recoil spring could be as light an needed to chamber a round off a fully loaded magazine..

dont see it happening though..

I understand that Browning's drop link is what makes the magazines 'feed' work.

I wanted to see what you guys came up with before I chimed in.

I atribute the perceived performance factor to total mass involved in mitigating transferred recoil. The normal 1911-2011 with its reciprocating complete upper does quite a bit to retard the transfer, unlike a design with lesser "unsprung" mass.

A few years back I experimented with the Heritage Arms "Stealth" in .40 S&W and 9mm. In those days 9mm had to be 1.200" min. to be considered as major, and the shorter mags wouldn't fit them, but I tried it anyway along with the .40. The "Stealths" South African manufactured gun, is a polymer frame with stainless upper, and works in the principle of a frame fixed barrel and a short under-barrel gas retarding piston. This system would lend itself very well to "compensating" were it not for two flaws. First the barrel "gas bleed" hole does foul quickly with certain powders along with the piston rod, and second: the pivoting pin support for the piston had the bad habit of shearing even with standard loads. And, oh yes, the perceived recoil transfer to the hand was atrocious.

There are other firearms which would lend themselves better for "compensating" and use in IPSC-USPSA, such as the Wildey. But there are other stumbling hurdles in the way like mag capacity, unwieldiness, load adaptation, numbers of guns made, and of course ready availability.

For now, and for the foreseeable future, we will (must) continue to re-invent the "wheel/1911", which will be king for a long time. ( I did not mention the Tanfoglio as it works in a similar reciprocating manner as the 1911, and I do like Tanfoglios too.)

(Edited) Has anyone experimented with a "high cap, button mag released" Walther P-38? I know is a pipe/wet dream... but... ???

Edited by Radical Precision Designs

I think you all know that the "real" way that a comp works is by forcing the "go-fast" ions up thereby pushing the barrel back down.

This is much the same as the way the "can" on a rice-rocket works to push the "go-fast" ions out the rear, thereby giving it an extra push down the street.

heheheheheh .... :-P

This is much the same as the way the "can" on a rice-rocket works to push the "go-fast" ions out the rear, thereby giving it an extra push down the street.

At least the "go-fast ions" coming out of my Open gun don't sound like crepitation.... ;)

...with adjustable gas pressure, the recoil spring could be as light an needed to chamber a round off a fully loaded magazine.. dont see it happening though..

I know a few Open guns that are already to that point. If the comp does it's job pretty well, and the slide is the correct weight, there is not really much for the recoil spring to do beyond store enough energy to feed the next round.

Leo