Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Para feeding issues

ParaGunner

OK, first of all this is a Para P-16 .40cal. It has a Kart ramped barrel in it with the chamber reamed to except 1.18oal ammo, just had the gun refinished with Atranite and slide lightened by Freedom gunworks.I'm shooting 180gr lead flat point cone bullets at about 175pf. I had a little trouble when I first got the pistol back from refinish with it feeding but it cleared up after 20-30rounds and then ran good for the next 200 rounds. I took it home and cleaned it up real good. Well today I took it out and every time I tried to chamber a round it jammed with the bullet in the chamber but the case rim was stopped on the breech face,the round never made it to the extractor. Then while shooting the same thing kept happening very inconsistantly,it would do it every shot sometimes,then it would run good sometimes also not doing it at all. This was happening with all my mags. I checked to see if something was in the chamber but it looked good,the breech face looked good also. Again,every time this happened the round was angled in the chamber with the bullet inside the chamber and the case rim stopped just at the bottom of the breechface before it even touched the extractor. To clear it i just pulled the slide back a little and then it made its wat into the chamber. Does the breechface or chamber need a little polishing? Any thoughts? Sorry for the long post,just trying to descibe the conditions really well.

It sounds like an extractor issue. Is the extractor "clocking" inside the extractor tunnel? Is it a new extractor?

When I built my single stack, I had a problem similar to what you describe and it was because I hadn't tuned the extractor.

I had a problem similar to this with my P-16. My crimp die had backed out a bit and wasn't crimping the case enough. The case lip was hanging up on something slowing the travel into the chamber.

Run it without the shock buff before you make any other changes!

Definitely don't polish, or make any permanent changes until you check that first.

Edited by wide45

New barrel? Verify it is properly ramped.

Mags, make sure your followers are not worn out, replace with Arredondo and treat your mags to moly.

Do make sure your extractor is not out of tune.

Do not use Arredondo followers in a Para. They will not be reliable.

How new are the mag springs? Did you run them before the refinish? If not, do you still have the old ones?

Edited by wide45

Magazine followers are factory and are just over a year old. Mag springs just got installed this year and yes I used them before the refinish.

I also have always ran shok buffs,never had any problems. Everything ran great before refinish.

The buff will scrape against the slide & cause problems. If you want to run one, trim the outside of it untill it is smaller than the guide rod head. Set mag lips @ .355, correct feed ramp angel, radis breakover point in the chamber, polish it all & install ISMI springs in your mags.

New barrel? Verify it is properly ramped.

Mags, make sure your followers are not worn out, replace with Arredondo and treat your mags to moly.

Do make sure your extractor is not out of tune.

Do not use Arredondo followers in a Para. They will not be reliable.

How new are the mag springs? Did you run them before the refinish? If not, do you still have the old ones?

Maybe yes, maybe not, I changed my followers earlier this year to Arredondos. My factory followers were worn out. You do need to be specific. Don't use S-I followers, they WILL NOT work, if they would, I'd have Bolen followers.

I definitely recommend Treating your mags to moly and graphite.

Try a drop of oil on the ramp and the opposite side of the breech face away from the extractor, you'll need to polish the ramp but even then a drop of oil will let it go ahead and move. I use a little extra oil on all moving parts till the finish settles in.

The buff will scrape against the slide & cause problems. If you want to run one, trim the outside of it untill it is smaller than the guide rod head. Set mag lips @ .355, correct feed ramp angel, radis breakover point in the chamber, polish it all & install ISMI springs in your mags.

I did radius the breakover point into the chamber last night. Mag feed lips are. 360-.370 and mags already have ismi springs. Should I Polish the breechface? How do I tell if the feed ramp angle is right?

Polished the part of the breechface where the round slides up and broke the edge to the entrance to the chamber ,then polished it. I loaded it several times from slide lock and regularly with no jams, which it wouldn't do before. I'm going to do some live fire tomorrow, hopefully I fixed it

Thanks everyone for your help.