Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Rifle Barrel Break In

bikedoctor

Guys,

I'm taking ownership of a new rifle Thurs and have never had to break in a barrel. Is this crucial for an 18" DPMS for 3 gun purposes? I ask because I have never had to go beyond 250 yards as of yet.

What do you do for a new barrel?

Kevin

Shoot one, run patch with solvent down barrel, shoot one, clean barrel with patch again and repeat until you are tired if cleaning and want to shoot or until the patches aren't showing any copper fowling. I was also told not to clean with anything metal just patches and nylon brushes.

Like mentioned earlier barrel break in procedures are like a$$holes, everybody has one and knows at least two others.

Edited by jtischauser

Pull up a comfy chair and try the search function. There are a LOT of threads on this highly opinionated topic.

Guilty.

I didn't see it come up in any posts specifically but I did notice a lot of pages. So I went lazy and fired a post.

I figured at worst I just bumped my post count. C'mon 50. :rolleyes:

I have guns that were broken in using the old standby fire one clean for 10 shots, then 3 shots and clean etc. I have others that were just shot with no specific number of shots, just cleaned after each range session. There is no difference in accuracy between like rifles. I use nothing but Kroil for barrel cleaning for what it is worth.

I just did it on a new JP. I figure they dont have a really anal break in so I did it pretty much for the first 50 rounds. I figure if I pay that much for a rifle I can take the time to follow what they recomend.

My wife just asked me what was so funny, and I showed her the video. She had the most confused look on her face, then she asked if i did that, I told her of course. :)

Gale McMillan may know a couple things.

Here's a video tutorial that I like.

Seriously, on barrel break in's. I would run a patch down the barrel before you ever shoot it, you never know what gets left in a barrel after the manufacturing process. I used to break down brand new RC car engines and they would have all kinds of metal shavings, dirt, etc. left in them. Then shoot about 10-20 rounds down the barrel, and run another patch through, just to see how dirty it is, you would be surprised. Then let the rounds fly.

I think is takes quite a few rounds to actually break the barrel in, so you should double check you zero after 500 rounds or so. FYI, mine never changed.

Form talking to shooters and long hours of meditation I don't think how you break in is as important as barrel maintenance. A non custom barrel will be rough, therefore I don't clean my precision rifle after every time I shoot. I run some patches to get the powder out but because it is not a custom barrel I leave the copper to smooth out the barrel and clean ever 200-300 rounds. I find this helps accuracy for the long range game but 3 gun probably doesn't matter. YMMV. A little side story, friend of mine was breaking a factory barrel in and after pushing a patch through found a sliver of copper that was caught on a burr in his barrel. Not saying its a consistent occurence but worth keeping in mind.